Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.??

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
What have you used to cut a PTO shaft.??

I have a 15 gallon air compressor....Is there a sort of a cutting disc I could buy.??

Thanks.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #2  
Could use a metal cutting band saw, abrasive cut off saw (chop saw), reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade as possibilities. Air driven cut off blade would also work but would probably take the longest and require more blades. The finer the cut the better. An abrasive cut off blade would require more filing on the edge when done compared to the others but probably the fastest.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #3  
die grinder with a cut off wheel would work, however with a small 15 gallon compressor, depending on the compressor's cfm rating, you'll probably have to stop to let air pressure build up. Check the cfm usage rating of the tools, and compare it to your compressor's cfm rating.
A better solution might be an electric cutting tool, hand grinder w/cut off wheel, reciprocating saw, or a portaband.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #4  
The PTO shafts are made out of fairly soft metal so it is something that could be handled by a hand hacksaw. It will take awhile and use up a blade but it works on the cheap.

Another option I've seen is to cut it with a torch and grind the end until the resulting slag is gone.

My choice is a sawsall with a metal cutting blade like used in a hacksaw.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.??
Thank you.

I do have a sawsall on hand so I guess I will give that a go.

I've got to do the math again and then act as a carpenter....measure twice, cut once.:D

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #6  
I used a cheap ( $69. ) radiac metal chopsaw with a 12" disc acquired at HF years ago and after you have one ...... you wont use a hacksaw again.

You could also use a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I just bought one from Northern Tool for $29. that comes with the cut off wheel , grinding stone and sandpaper discs. Cheap ..... but it works very well for the novice like myself.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #9  
Saws All with hack saw or metal cutting blade will waltz right through it. Clean up the edges with a file. Easy.

/ Tool To Cut PTO Shaft.?? #10  
Thank you.

I do have a sawsall on hand so I guess I will give that a go.

I've got to do the math again and then act as a carpenter....measure twice, cut once.:D

Do a search on You Tube ..there is a good video on their showing exactly how to cut a PTO shaft ..including the Math and that is really important...just search cutting PTO shaft...it should come up.