Toolcat and Rust

/ Toolcat and Rust #1  

Haldir00

Tractor
None...yet
Given all of Xfaxman and npartist's input, I find myself going back and forth between needing a telehandler and needing a Toolcat. I realize they are significantly different machines, but each has its potential benefits. Either will more than meet my basic needs, but the wife says I can get one, not both. This is not, however, an attempt to pit one against the other.

Did a quick search and didn't find much on it, so I'll ask here. I'm curious what makes the Toolcat so rust-prone. It's hard to believe a major manufacturer hasn't figured it out by now, but just about every discussion on Toolcat seems to include references to rust. Is there something inherently wrong with Bobcat's materials/design or is rust primarly the result of environment...or both? More specifically, if I'm not using the machine to spread salt, and I exercise general care/maintenance precautions, is there any reason it should rust to any greater extent or any quicker than any other piece of equipment?

/ Toolcat and Rust #2  
Many times Toolcats are used in a municipal setting doing snow removal and spreading salt. Constantly being covered with those chemicals really speeds up the corrosion process regardless what equipment is used. If you get a used one, get a salt-less one.

/ Toolcat and Rust #3  
No rust problems on either one here but no exposure to salt.
They are parked in a building.
I bought the compact telehandler, my wife bought the Toolcat.
Show your wife what the Toolcat can do, she needs one :D .

/ Toolcat and Rust #4  
my first Toolcat was rusty, not holes but lots of surface rust, previous owner used it for snow removal and salting on sidewalks, had the unit 6 years and in that time holes in floor appeared which required cutting, way more than the hole area but fixed the issue, there was no fix for the box, it was rusting badly, I even took it apart, sand blasted and repainted but the rust came thro.

today I have a 3 year old Toolcat from new, the only rust starting is on the box, staining on edges where the metal was cut, seems powder coating does less thickness on edges that the faces, no rust on floors or cab doors, it is used for snow and light grading, spreading gravel basic yard work but never touched any salt

if you can find one used where it worked in landscaping but not salt spreading it will likely be clean of the heavy rusting typical on salt spreading

Laurence

/ Toolcat and Rust #5  
Agree. Bought my 5900D new in 2007. Never exposed to salt or paved roads...only mud and occ. water. No rust.

/ Toolcat and Rust #6  
I have mine since 2008 and no rust. I use sand instead of salt. As Ruffdog said, many are used by municipalities and they use copius amounts salt and don't care about rusty equipment.

/ Toolcat and Rust
Thanks, all. I'm guessing that's the general consensus, namely the rust issues are based on how the equipment is utilized and not related to design or materials. Regards,

/ Toolcat and Rust #8  
I would agree with that, those salt spreaders sure pack salt in every crevis, on mine when the box was taken apart there was a bead of salt and rust between the parts, doubt even if you washed it after use the salt would simply dissolve and get in the smallest of spaces

/ Toolcat and Rust #9  
No rust problems on either one here but no exposure to salt.
They are parked in a building.
I bought the compact telehandler, my wife bought the Toolcat.
Show your wife what the Toolcat can do, she needs one :D .
Hi xfaxman, I see you too have a v417 bobcat, I'm new to forum, I posted a request yesterday, my v417 stopped movement while pulling up a tree, all hydraulics work, boom just no forward reverse, I had just put machine into 2wheel steer from 4wheel, I've got a solid red warning on and I have the code 98o98 on display, any thoughts appreciated, I've checked all fuses, they are intact,serpentine belt intact, local dealer of no help, my machine is a 2008, I've owned it just under a year, sold my tractor, love the telehandler, any ideas you may have are appreciated

/ Toolcat and Rust #10  
Just now answered the other thread, then saw your post above.

That code is not in the service manual.