Toolcat block heater

/ Toolcat block heater #21  
Where is the power cord? I am guessing that since the Engine Block Heater is an option, our 5610G does not have it.

P2100002.JPG

Last edited:
   / Toolcat block heater #22  
Engine cranking speed goes down by the square root of temperature. If you don't have a 0wxx oil in the engine, it can get very viscous, and the engine heater won't heat the oil in the bottom of the crankcase unless you use one of those underneath heaters.

I'd suspect the battery, too.

Should only need to run the engine heater about 30 minutes to achieve same results as overnight.

Ralph

/ Toolcat block heater #23  
Yes measure ohms, or more likely, all you need to do is check for continuity. Most burnt out heaters look like an open circuit (infinite ohms) that allow no current to flow.
Typically when I plug in block heater I try to look for a spark at the power cord plug that tells me current is flowing and heater is working. Spark is usually easier to see when disconnecting plug from power cord.

/ Toolcat block heater #24  
Block heater slides in a hole in the block but first you remove a rubber plug.

block heater 001_1.JPG

/ Toolcat block heater #25  
Where is the power cord? I am guessing that since the Engine Block Heater is an option, our 5610G does not have it.

Block heater slides in a hole in the block but first you remove a rubber plug.

Thanks, now I know for sure that it does not have one.

Last edited:
   / Toolcat block heater
here is a update, got home it was -33C so decided not to work outside, this morning its -41C windchill -56C this is not fun to do anything in anddoubt plugged it it would do much anyway, after the weekend starts to warm up in the low -20s so tee shirts and shorts

stay safe and warm everyone

/ Toolcat block heater #27  
I don't get down to those temps, -20F sometimes and it's stored in an unheated barn. I have a battery heating pad under the large capacity battery and a battery heating blanket wrapped around the battery besides the engine block heater. They don't use much wattage so I have them all plugged together into one cord. The block heater measures out to just under 400 watts. The battery blanket and the pad add about another 200 watts. Heating the battery really helps with its output in very cold temps. I plug in the TC about 1-3 hrs before I need it depending on how cold it is, cycle the glow plugs 2x and it lights right up every time. If it starts out a little rough I just add rpms until it smooths out until it warms up. The first oil change on this 2009 TC was at 50 hrs and I went to 0W30 synthetic diesel oil.

Thin oil and a warmed engine will be worthless if the battery can't spin the engine fast enough or heat the glow plugs.

Best of luck, let us know what you figure out.

/ Toolcat block heater
still too cold to work on the Toolcat but did clear snow with the S590 for half hour until the thing shut down, Im guessing fuel jelled regardless of having additive in it, for now I have 2 machines out of service but the weather is warming up to the -20C during the days this week and I can get them up and running again, just love winter