Toolcat or Utility Tractor

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #11  
my rhino was worn out from all the rocks on my trails. it was abused.

my neighbor has a new 4000 series jd with a 6 ft mower and my father is very good freinds with
the local jd manager. he has been selling jd's for over 40 years. he told me a 7 foot brushhog would be too heavy for the 4000 series. they only weigh 3500 to 4500 lbs unless you load the tires or add ballast. it might work but he advised against it. he said for a 7 or 8 ft brushmower the 5000 series would be needed. 2 other jd dealers told me the same thing. they all said 6ft is as big as the 4000 should go. i was originally set on buying a new 4000 series jd tractor before discovering the tc. did a lot of research on the tractor. it is a nice machine. they hydro trany is easy to use.

mowing grass takes a lot of hp. a tractor will put more hp through a pto than the tc can via hydraulics. that is the downside to hydro. that being said, i doubt a 3500-4000 lb tractor is going to be able to handle a large mower. in the end i did not
think the 4000 series jd tractor was going to be that much faster. for the price of the tc you could get into the 80 hp kubota, mccormick, and jd lines. i do miss my air ride seat and the cushion from my 18 rears. after 2 hours in the tc i am ready for a break - hard on the back.
if money were no object i would have a tractor sitting in the barn too.

ts

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #12  
jmfox said:
Could you accomplish the same result with brush hog on your tractor?

jmf

I started out using the tractor to finish my jobs. I used a JD 35 hp 4wd. The brushcat mows lower and with the steel roller stays in contact with the ground. Having it out in front makes it easier to get right up to trees and it is safer than trying to duck under trees in a high profile tractor. I also have quite a bit of reserve power with the brushcat though it has had its share of problems that bushhogs do not.

Also, I have yet to run a bushhog that does as fine of a mowing job as the brushcat.

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #13  
after 2 hours in the tc i am ready for a break - hard on the back. if money were no object i would have a tractor sitting in the barn too. \ ts[/QUOTE said:
What series TC are you using? This is one of my great concerns. I get beat up in the skidsteers in this rocky terrain of S. Central Texas hill country. Rough to say the least. I do not mind brush grinding or tree shearing but can't stand moving materials from pt. a to pt. b and I really hate travelling long distances. I recently switched to air filled tires after 10 years of solid filled. Some relief but I still get a backache. In fact, I bet I am 2" shorter than I was when I started 10 years ago!

I am looking at a TC for the following reasons:
We have a ranch and my 60 something mom wants to have a tool to help her with chores when it isn't at work
I have 20 something kids that want to help with the family business and I think the skidsteers are too tough and the learning curve too long for girls (call me sexist) but I get beat up regularly in the skids
I want to be able to light road maintenance and load and unload my flatbed truck and grapple brush and brush mow fields and dig post holes. I find that my vertical lift s300's do not run the post hole digger very well due to the weight distribution and I think it is a waste of fuel in an 81 hp machine to move light brush.
I am also looking at a stump grinder that another operator can run and I have a landscape rake and other cleanup tools that I figure a TC could run.

On the flip side, I thought a hydro tractor in the 40-50 hp range would be a good fit for us since I found many uses for our JD which I no longer have.
I understand that some tractors offer skidsteer quick attach? That would solve the implement issue as I have plenty of implements. By the time I add a cab and air, though, I am back to a high profile and heavy machine. I just don't think I can find a compact size in a tractor that has the power or features of a toolcat.

Any thoughts?

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #14  
i agree. i think the tc sits between the 4000 and 5000 series jd in terms of usable power.

i have a "c". i have not tried the d. it should have a much better ride. the c is very rough out in my fields if i go over 2-3 mph. i make it a habit to not buy anything new the first yr out. the new d has a lot of new engineering. i will look at it in a yr or 2. i would buy it for the better ride. i am not convinced it will be as durable vs my solid axels. they are very beefy.

no perfect machine. for chores, post digging, non heavy digging/bucket work (such as moving materials) the tc is the cats meow. i just did a bunch of posts - the arm on the tc is excellent. the bucket is much more precise vs any tractor. i can get within an inch of my doors for snow removal. i tried that with my tractor and took off a good chunk of siding. for moving snow it is the best of anything i have seen. for near finish mowing low grass it is also excellent. it think for mowing my roads with the brushcat it is also very good - it is nice to have the mower out front. were it falters is in field work or wet ground when compared to a small ag tractor. but, i think to really beat it in field work you have to move out of the utility tractors and into the small ag tractors (75-90hp). they cost about the same. the pto on those machines have much higher capacity vs the 4000 series jd or the tc. they put a lot more hp out than the hydro attach on the tc. i also think the tc is very easy to learn to operate, very safe, and very easy to change attachements. there is no comparison between the tc and a skid steer for visibility. my tc is rough but rides better than any skid. it is also much easier on the terf. it would be much easier to teach a non-operator to use. also, i hate changing 3pts. i can change from bucket to broom (the hardest to attach) in less than 5 minutes and no grease on my hands. i have put about 3x more hours on my tc in the last 10 months than i put on my tractor in one yr. i just find it useful for many chores. for example - i put the 75 gallon sprayer in the back and had our engineer and machine shop fabricat a 10ft boom. it works great for spraying my food plots, gravel parts of roads, deicer, and for spraying weeds around the barn,houses, and our patios. i also find the broom very useful.

i guess you need to demo a d. if i was picking between a ag tractor and the c for mowing i would definately take the tractor with an air ride seat. for everything else i would take the tc.

what problems have you had with the brushcat???

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor
I have demoed the D series and I can tell you it has a very nice ride. The lot that I purchased was a field before and now has become the new home to many pocket-gophers. Going over the lot a few times with the TC mower I could actually go as fast as I wanted with the new suspension and really did not notice the ruts/bumps at all. When I take my Yukon XL over the lot I have to go about 1mph as I am thrown every which way. I really am not to worried about the ride as the 3720 comes standard with an air-ride seat in the cab. I will not be doing much "brush" cutting after the 1st clearing of the land. It will mostly be mowing - and I am usually quite perticular about the yard and grass and would like to have the nicest cut possible. The yard will be about 3-4 acres and it will be irrigated and fertilized. I am worried about the weight of the tc as coming in at close to 5000#, I am concerned that it may cause ruts in the lawn (has anyone experinced this problem???). With a new little girl, I would like to take her with me while mowing in a few years and am disappointed that the JD only really will hold 1 person as I was excited about this with the TC of being able to bring the little one along. I really would like more info on the mowing differences between the two with the finishing mowers if possible.

Thanks,
You guys are a great source of info.

DW

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #16  
The toolcat would be worth it if you wanted a utilty vehicle for the property as well as something to do work with. The Kubota RTV is the closest UTV to the Toolcat and that machine is around $15k so if you toss that onto the price of the tractor then the Toolcat is a good option.

But if you don't want or need a utility vehicle then go with the tractor and use the money you save to either take a nice vacation or buy some attachments for the 3pt like a backhoe or something:)

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #17  
i mow part of my lawn. the tc does a good job.

i too take my boys (3). i had a buddy seat on my tractors but i did not
fit well myself in the new jd cabs. it is nice having the 2nd seat with a seat belt.

about ruts - i find if i go out in the wet or spring i leave ruts. it i wait until things are dry no problems.

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #18  
I have a D with the 90" finish mower, NH TN 75 cab and a Kubota 105x cab, I use a Kuhn 90" flail and Kuhn disc mower on both. I used the C for 2 weeks giving excellent opportunity for comparisons
The C gave me problems with my back and I have never experienced this with the D
The Finish mower is excellent on grass but needs 2 passes on milkweed or small brush if you want it to look good. It is so easy to hook up compared to a 3 point there is no comparison..Also you can just lift and tilt the mower up to sharpen blades...you will easily mow close to the trees saving on string trimming time ,I use mine on 3 large challenging lawns rarely scalping compared to my 48" exmark.
The 10 grand is well worth it in driver fatigue and finesse of operation for mowing and blowing and having suspension over the JD. Also much easier to get in and out of than a tractor

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #19  
theoshin said:
i tractor with an air ride seat. for everything else i would take the tc.

what problems have you had with the brushcat???

The brushcat I have is about 3 years old. It doesn't have the newest linkage which looks more versatile. The problems I have had were with the motor loosening and cracking welds on the motor mount. I have also gone through seals like crazy in the gearboxes. I have nearly zero problems with motors leaking so i wonder why Bobcat uses a gear box. I have also broken gear teeth when I hit a stump or rock. The brushcat (both units I've owned) stops hard, that is, when you let off the hydraulic power at full throttle or the lift shutoff engages, the blades stop hard and clank. I have broken blade bolts that way and you can see under the deck where the blades hit the housing in a hard stop.
I have also had a rear roller fail, fall off, and make the unit unfixable. They tried everything and bearing after bearing would fail so I bought the new unit and sold the other for use without a roller. Other than that and some hoses getting pinched from the lift linkage, it has been a good machine. I would change the gearbox, hose routing, and access door for starters if someone asked me.

I am looking to be able to do chores with the TC and move materials including myself and some chainsaws into the woods. I do all the heavy clearing with the s300's but hate mowing with them. I usually don't have that high of grass to mow after I get through clearing. I use the brushcat as the last tool so by then I have usually grinded the hard stuff and sheared the big trees and chipped.

I just don't know how versatile a tractor would be other than the mowing. I don't need it to dig or lift anything and I already have so many bobcat attachments that I would have to start collecting tractor attachments again and that's just more money...but a tractor is a comfy ride and more room relax in the cab, right?

/ Toolcat or Utility Tractor #20  
How well would the brushcat work on my ASV track machine? From what I understand, the tree choppers generally do not handle grass well. A mower is too light, but the brushcat with it's rollers and dual action cutting system seems like a mulching mower that I could use for maintenance cutting. Then again, once the bushes and suckers are cut, a rough cut bush hog on my ford tractor would probably handle it much easier and cheaper (except for getting under the pine trees). I'm also a little concerned about spending time and money on repairing cracked welds and seals etc. on a brushcat not to mention putting hours on a $50k machine. Three years is way too young to be having such serious maintenance issues. I've used a 6 foot bush hog finish mower every week for 20 summers. Had to change the belt every time and again, a wheel once and had to hammer out the discharge shoot when it gets bent, but otherwise no trouble.

jmf