Tools & equipment that are fantastic.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #61  
That's funny, Hay Dude! You have a vintage sidewinder and newer worm drives! I have a vintage worm drive and new sidewinder!

Yeah, I love the worm drive, mine's an original SkillSaw in a metal purpose-built toolbox, I'd guess 1950's vintage. I'd probably like the new ones even better, but I don't use it frequently enough to really justify replacement. When I need to make up a sled for a real accurate cut, or anything a bit out of the ordinary, I go to the worm drive. It has better ergonomics and better means for attaching the foot plate to a ripping sled, etc. The sidewinder is just for quick work.

The Milwaukee 8&1/2” is used for cutting paralam beams and 4x stuff. The smaller DeWalt 60V is legit. It’ll cut a lot of plywood subfloor with shocking power & blade speed.

Guys that have worked for me didn’t like the weight of the big Milwaukee worm drive, but I loved it. Pushing downhill on a sheet of plywood was effortless. Cuts through 4x4 in 2 passes easily.

They had the nickname “California Framer”.

Last edited:
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #62  
Here’s another “oldie but goodie” I have used for 35 years. A house jack. Another thing dad gave me before he passed. Priceless for leveling buildings, porches, etc.
It’s probably 70 years old. Works perfect. Made of castings & steel when they were made to last a lifetime and beyond.

1670971499606.jpeg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #63  
I have had this chain come-along for so long that I don't know where I got it or what it cost:

View attachment 774338View attachment 774339View attachment 774340

Hooked it to the crane scale to see it's pulling power:

View attachment 774341View attachment 774342
I have never seen one of these and now I gotta find one. I have 3 cable type come-alongs and they are very useful. Two are USA made and the difference in quality to the Taiwan made one is obvious. I also have a small chainfall that I like a lot but it is used for one job on one machine and will never leave that machine. But a chain come-along would be great! I don't like cables for all sorts of reasons. Chain falls are very nice for some operations but the simplicity and compactness of this lever operated come-along makes it look perfect for all sorts of tractor related operations. I am now gonna search for one. I wouldn't be surprised if I only find them on ebay.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #64  
Agree with sawzall and drill. They are pretty much battery powered all the way.
I mostly use my battery powered DeWalt drill, but for jobs that require a lot of torque, I pull out my brute Milwaukee 1/2” hammer drill (corded). I haven’t found a cordless tool that will drill concrete or thick plate steel like that Milwaukee.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #65  
I mostly use my battery powered DeWalt drill, but for jobs that require a lot of torque, I pull out my brute Milwaukee 1/2” hammer drill (corded). I haven’t found a cordless tool that will drill concrete or thick plate steel like that Milwaukee.

I have one of these that works great up to about a 1.5” concrete bit. Beyond that it’s time to get the sds max out. Dewalt and Milwaukee both make high toque cordless drills that will handle anything within the limits of a hand drill. I’ve never found the need to get one. My regular drill is strong enough for the rare hole sawing that I do.

Attachments

• IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
   / Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #66  
Toys are fun but if I want accurate holes drilled, I go to the Bridgeport Mill. I find myself using it more than the drill press now. It basically lives with a drill chuck in the quill. Swapping to a collet for a milling cutter or changing to a 1- 8" facing cutter takes about 20 seconds. Accessories include a horizontal attachment for gear cutters, a universal indexer and a rotary table. I got old and that stuff got heavy, so I added a crane to get them on and off the table.

Boom Crane.jpg

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #67  
Toys are fun but if I want accurate holes drilled, I go to the Bridgeport Mill. I find myself using it more than the drill press now. It basically lives with a drill chuck in the quill. Swapping to a collet for a milling cutter or changing to a 1- 8" facing cutter takes about 20 seconds. Accessories include a horizontal attachment for gear cutters, a universal indexer and a rotary table. I got old and that stuff got heavy, so I added a crane to get them on and off the table.

View attachment 774549
Isn't it a little hard to get on site? ;)

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #69  
My latest discovery is Milwaukee cordless tools. I've had DeWalt for 15 years. What an upgrade!!!!! No comparison.

For simplicity. I like this tool. It's used to stretch single strand wire, or barbed wire. [[[ I've been so crude as to chain it to the tractor and use it to tighten the wire. ]]] Easiest way is with a come along.

View attachment 774343

View attachment 774344

Nice! -- Pulling wire with a tractor is pretty scary though. We use Mighty Mouse in high range to limit the risk of overdoing it. A good smooth HST mini is pretty friendly.

/ Tools & equipment that are fantastic. #70  
Overcome myself and got this (f.... expensive) tool. Ok, I didn't paid 180 but "only" 130 €

it is totally worth every cent. Like that thin and flat end - not leaving marks and can be pushed in any openings very aggressively. Steel seems super strong. With all my 100 kg I can step on it with full feet And adjustable claw for nail pulling is a big thing either

Actually generally Hultafors are 10/10 brand. Dont know is it a thing in US.
If you have tool fetish, this is the right brand
Any other person in right mind would not spend that money for tools