Tools that used to be great

/ Tools that used to be great #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Recently I bought a skilsaw. I did so because I have borrowed one many times and it was always my favorite saw. Powerful, accurate, easy to use. It was about 15 years old and beat up pretty well. So that's what I was expecting when I bought mine.

As for the title of the thread... the skilsaw that *I* bought could not be further from my past experience. This saw has practically no power... it can't even rip cut a KD 2x4 without severely bogging down. What's worse is that when I bought it I was only cutting 1/2" plywood and then set it aside into my next project. Didn't know it wasn't like the old skilsaws until I couldn't return it... stuck with this underpowered toy saw.

/ Tools that used to be great #2  
A different blade option might improve your experience but skil brand is definitely at the lower end of the spectrum now days.

/ Tools that used to be great #3  
Always look at the amp draw on the motor plates. Compare a few other models and it will tell you a lot. Do this on any tool, especially if you are unfamiliar with them. With the proliferation of cheap chinese store brands, you will often find a model or two that are much lower than the name brands. I needed a "disposable" circ saw for cutting stone, so i looked at the cheap house brands. They had one that was dirt cheap but it had some pathetic low amp motor. Another one for a little more was much closer to the Maktia/Bosch/Milwaukee models in amps, so I got that.

/ Tools that used to be great #4  
I don't believe Skil brand is all that bad, though DeWalt does tend to be somewhat better. Are you talking about a Skil brand circular saw, some other brand circular saw, or some other saw type by Skil?

/ Tools that used to be great #5  
Skil is the low end brand of Skil/Bosch USA. They were the innovator in circular saws 60+ yrs ago, but now it is just a name that they are still trading on but have cheapened the tools to garbage....as Muhammad found out.

/ Tools that used to be great #6  
Bostitch , Bosch, Craftsman, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Metabo, and many others I can not think of atm, all sell lower end products, at lower prices, at the big box stores. Like was stated , you have to look at the product info to see what you are actually buying. They all have great products but they will not be the ones that they have sent to the big box stores to compete with cheap crap. Makita is my personal favorite but I buy them from a local hardware store as they stock makita's full lineup of tools. It is like an adult's candy store!! I love looking at all the different tools Makita makes in their cordless lineup. You can see the difference there versus what Makita markets at the big box store I saw them at. I have been slowly trying to build a big Makita cordless tool stockpile.

/ Tools that used to be great #7  
Recently I bought a skilsaw. I did so because I have borrowed one many times and it was always my favorite saw. Powerful, accurate, easy to use. It was about 15 years old and beat up pretty well. So that's what I was expecting when I bought mine.

As for the title of the thread... the skilsaw that *I* bought could not be further from my past experience. This saw has practically no power... it can't even rip cut a KD 2x4 without severely bogging down. What's worse is that when I bought it I was only cutting 1/2" plywood and then set it aside into my next project. Didn't know it wasn't like the old skilsaws until I couldn't return it... stuck with this underpowered toy saw.

From now on, nothing but rigid corded tools. I know, I Know, the batt stuff is ok in certain circumstances and I have a couple sets,

Ryobi, POS, and Dewalt, good tool but they stroked me so bad on replacement batteries that I’m done. $100 for a Chinese batt?

Then, I guess after their patent ran out, $15 knock off batt that’s been working well for 2 years.

If Dewalt wants to gouge their customers, good for them. I would never buy another Dewalt tool for that reason alone.

Rigid stands behind their products better than any company I’ve ever dealt with. I don’t even shop, straight to rigid!

I’m buying the rigid trim saw, miter box, chop saw, whatever you wanna call it saw. It’s real expensive but if it breaks in 15 years, they will fix it for free!

It is amazing to me how so many of these tools can’t cut a 2 x 4. I think they are made for the young couple that just watched a DIY show and figured.....that can’t be too hard, and they go buy Ryobi. I love the look on their faces when they find 90% of their fixer upper is rotten! Been there, done that, never again!

Remember, you must register your Rigid tool, then it’s good for life......your life, not it’s life. I’m putting all my new Rigid tools in my kids name.

/ Tools that used to be great
From now on, nothing but rigid corded tools. I know, I Know, the batt stuff is ok in certain circumstances and I have a couple sets,

Ryobi, POS, and Dewalt, good tool but they stroked me so bad on replacement batteries that I’m done. $100 for a Chinese batt?

Then, I guess after their patent ran out, $15 knock off batt that’s been working well for 2 years.

If Dewalt wants to gouge their customers, good for them. I would never buy another Dewalt tool for that reason alone.

Rigid stands behind their products better than any company I’ve ever dealt with. I don’t even shop, straight to rigid!

I’m buying the rigid trim saw, miter box, chop saw, whatever you wanna call it saw. It’s real expensive but if it breaks in 15 years, they will fix it for free!

It is amazing to me how so many of these tools can’t cut a 2 x 4. I think they are made for the young couple that just watched a DIY show and figured.....that can’t be too hard, and they go buy Ryobi. I love the look on their faces when they find 90% of their fixer upper is rotten! Been there, done that, never again!

Remember, you must register your Rigid tool, then it’s good for life......your life, not it’s life. I’m putting all my new Rigid tools in my kids name.
I have one rigid tool, a mini router. Gets the job done for light duty stuff. It doesn't like oak or digging more than about a quarter inch into pine. But that's not what a mini router is for. The quality is certainly there and like you said the warranty is second to none right now.

/ Tools that used to be great #9  
Remember, the cord size is very important also. When purchasing an extension cord, wire size is most important. A 12 guage wire size usually is good for most applications. Bob

/ Tools that used to be great #10  

You should have bought a 15 year old one.
I grew up using a 7 1/4 Skil saw from about 1960 to 1963. My Grandfather, Father and I built a duplex in Vermont and most of the framing was cut with my Grandfathers Skil saw and his 10" Delta table saw (now in my basement).
In case you had not noticed ALL TOOLS are subject to being just rebranded crap. A company sells their brand, quality control is lax and what once was great and reliable is now useless.