TOOLS & THINGS

/ TOOLS & THINGS #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Hmmm.... I'm an old guy - and always fixing things. In fact, fixing and eventually improving things as they wear out has has always been an enjoyable hobby at our house. So with a tool question I searched for a "Tools" Forum and was surprised there isn't one on TBN...Maybe this forum will do.

But that got me to thinking that I don't know of a better way to describe this new generation of tractors and tractor owners than to say that both workshops and tools don't seem to be quite as popular a subject as they were a generation ago. Or maybe they just aren't as discussed... anyway...

The question I had concerns bandsaw tires - which are the things that fit on bandsaw wheels and help align and tension the blade. No, I didn't know what they were called either. Had to look it up on Google. Anyway, I've always used 5 layers of masking tape on the bandsaw wheel. It works better than it sounds & is good for ten years or so of sporatic use. But there are real bandsaw tires for sale online and several different types at that.

Which is preferred? The new stretch-on urethane or the older glue-on rubber type?
And does anyone have a preferred supplier of pre-welded blades?

Enjoying the summer,
rScotty

/ TOOLS & THINGS #2  
I got new stretch on urethane tires for my old Craftsman Professional band saw... It is sort of a odd duck as it cuts on left hand side instead of right hand side.... PO did not know that and could not understand why it would not cut... Sold it to me for $20 at yard sale, because it did not work.... Simply flipping blade "inside out" fixed the problem....

540x360.jpg

Picture is not of my saw, but my saw is identical...

/ TOOLS & THINGS #3  
I did not know about the masking tape for a tire. My bandsaw came with rubber tires and cracked and came off in pieces. Getting the rest off and getting the glue off was not a pleasant task. I now have urethane tires on mine and they seem to last longer than the rubber and far longer than the masking tape.

/ TOOLS & THINGS #4  
On my Woodmizer bandsaw mill the wheels where just V belt pulleys of the correct size, and the tire was a v belt just barely long enough to fit around said pulley. Worked like a charm for over 1000hrs that was put on the mill while I owned it. Very easy to replace just a v belt.

/ TOOLS & THINGS #5  
I learned about bandsaw tires when I was offered one for free a few years ago.
previous owner became disgusted with it because the blade wouldn’t stay on. I never heard of bandsaw tires either, but YouTUbe educated me

/ TOOLS & THINGS #6  
On my Woodmizer bandsaw mill the wheels where just V belt pulleys of the correct size, and the tire was a v belt just barely long enough to fit around said pulley. Worked like a charm for over 1000hrs that was put on the mill while I owned it. Very easy to replace just a v belt.
My Woodmaxx sawmill has the same as I think all bandsaw mills do, my Delta 14" bandsaw has the bands , never replaced the bands yet And I dont know if rubber or urethane is better..