toothbar attachment preference?

/ toothbar attachment preference? #1  

Nasty135

Veteran Member
Tractor
massey ferguson 135/1433v
Gotta ask, Finally getting my toothbar , My dealer has the "specific" toothbar for my loader but it bolts through the bottom lip with 3 bolts. But after doing a bunch of reading on this subject here on this site I've seen the "universal " type that bolts on the bucket through the ends. Can anyone give pro & cons to each before I bite on either one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My dealer says he can get the other type (thru the end)but with shipping it would cost more about $100 more(too much)
I'm not against getting one shipped in from another dealer.
your input is appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks, Mark

/ toothbar attachment preference? #2  
Maybe I am missing something, but I would think that if it bolted through the bottom, the part of the bolt on the bottom would take a terrible beating and grinding. The bolts and nuts would be ground down and nicked to the point of making it next to impossible to take off.

With the bolts on the sides It is a little more protected from abuse. I just put two nuts on the bolts to protect the threads and I am able to take it off in minutes.

/ toothbar attachment preference?
Evasive1,I just put two nuts on the bolts to protect the threads and I am able to take it off in minutes.

Thats a good idea! I just wonder if anybody has a bolt through the lip toothbar? How often if ever would someone want to take a toothbar off? Maybe to scoop something up close to a building or some other flush object? Also snow removal on asphalt driveway.

/ toothbar attachment preference? #4  
I've not had to deal with scooping snow and haven't removed my toothbar since it was put on the bucket. I have the MF 1040 loader and HD bucket. The toothbar is from MF also and bolts through the bottom of the bucket. I haven't noticed any problem with bolt wear, but my work hasn't been on concrete or asphalt. Dirt work doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm planning a project that will require some sand to be spread in a few weeks and I'll probably remove the toothbar for that.

/ toothbar attachment preference? #5  
Hi...

My loader bucket has a heavy duty smooth cutting edge... it's on the underside of the bucket front edge... several carriage bolts thru it and the bucket... smooth end of carriage bolts towards the ground... nuts on bucket inside...

Dave...

/ toothbar attachment preference? #6  
I don't "know" of anyone with a bolt through the cutting edge type toothbar. Mine is on the ends. However, I do take it off frequently when I want to do some back dragging with the smooth cutting edge which comes in handy. There are other times when I want to do something that the toothbar would be in the way of, so it's nice and easy to take it off with just two bolts to remove. I can't imagine why it would cost so much more for the bolt on the end type. Maybe you could order one from someone else, such as Payne's which is mentioned on here often, H&H who has the EZ toothbar, a Woods Equipment dealer can get you one they list under skid steer attachments (the one I have, retail $265 plus shipping for 54"). As a matter of fact, why don't you contact my dealer, tell him what you need and see if he can save you some bucks even including shipping. He can order it from Woods for you and have it shipped to you directly. Install it yourself, it's very easy. Just need to drill the appropriate holes (3/4" bolt for mine) and slide it over the cutting edge. That's all there is to it. You can contact Dave Williams at bigtractorsupply.com through his website, and tell him I said to give you a break!
Hey! can't hurt to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Measure the inside of your bucket just behind the cutting edge and tell Dave the result. John Big Tractor Supply

/ toothbar attachment preference? #7  
My homemade toothbar fastens with two 3/8" bolts through the bucket ends. I made the bar by starting with a very shallow "V" that slips over the existing bucket cutting edge. With the "V" shaped means of attachment, the forces are distributed well over the entire edge, which is reinforced by being in the "V".

My factory bucket has a welded-on cutting edge. When I noticed wear starting, I picked up a piece of steel for an add-on edge. To fasten this, I drilled 9 plain holes in the factory cutting edge for 3/8" stainless hex head bolts to pass down through. Then I drilled and tapped corresponding 3/8-16 holes in the add-on cutting edge. The bolts were tightened and ground off on the bottom of the add-on cutting edge. This provided a minimal amount of prutrusion on the upper side, and none on the bottom.....................chim

/ toothbar attachment preference?
Thanks to all for your input, I'm going to see if a couple of the dealers around me actually sell the ez toothbar, The ez attachment websites dealor locater says I have two or three near me so I'll call them first. If they can't help I'll try your advice John to have one drop shipped by someone else /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks again.

/ toothbar attachment preference? #9  
I just got a tooth bar from Markham Welding on Friday.
The bar is very well made and fits perfectly, just 2 bolts.
They're great to deal with and a good price.
Check markhamwelding.com
GrayBeard

/ toothbar attachment preference? #10  
A problem I can see with a toothbar that is bolted to the bottom lip of the bucket and the toothbar mounting bolt holes are not slotted. As the bucket cutting edge wears the toothbar will set further in. But for the home owner bucket cutting edge wear mostlikely would be minimal.

BTW... I love my toothbar (Long).