Top Link Extender

/ Top Link Extender #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Got bored the other day and built a Top Link Extender to fit my M9540. It's especially handy if you add a Pat's system, or as in my case use a Quick Hitch off and on. Allows you to retain the useable length of the top link without having to buy another one. And if using a Hydaulic Top Link you retain the extended length advantage. Pretty labor intensive. Took me a lot longer than I thought it would. But then you consider you have to end up with 12 holes in 1/2" metal and you see why. Where I could I stacked my pieces and drilled them at once but still a lot of drilling. Wouldn't want to try this with a hand drill.....

I carry it in my Chain Box so I always have it if needed.

DSC06281_zpsce6aef0a.jpg

DSC06288_zps0c3b82bc.jpg

DSC06289_zpsa6302e69.jpg

/ Top Link Extender #2  
I like that!

/ Top Link Extender #3  
It seems like I remember someone doing this as I was looking for a fix for my L5030 when I put a set of PATS on it.

Looks really nice.:thumbsup:

/ Top Link Extender #4  
Great way to do it :thumbsup:

/ Top Link Extender
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Yeah Larry, I remember seeing one too but I couldn't find the thread so I just kinda winged it.

/ Top Link Extender
Why does that hose look so tight ?

Because the 3pt is down all the way. There's a 90 degree Swivel fitting on the cylinder that is pointing rearward and up. When the lift is to the top that same hose is then bent in a U shape. If the 90 degree Swivel was pointed toward the tractor and the lift was in the up position that hose would be crunched double. Gotta have a happy medium to make the hose most comfortable in all positions. Since the lift is rarely in the lowest position that's how I set it up.

Here's a pic showing what I mean by rarely being in that position. This is the 3pt lift lowered all the way. Don't have any attachments that can use that much drop.

/ Top Link Extender #9  
Neat, but how much does a new top link cost? I use three (bought 2 at about €20 each new) to suit different attachments. How much for the metal you used, the pins, your machinery costs to make - and your time? I value my time on these things at zero because I might not being doing anything else to bring in income, but even so, €20 for a top link always set at the correct length seems cheap to me.

/ Top Link Extender #10  
Old McDonald he has a hydraulic top link. So it's not a $20 top link. Usually costs about $150+ for 1.