Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #11  
My first thought is that station personnel put 10% ethanol labels on all the dispensers,and the diesel pump shouldn't have the sticker.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #12  
My first thought is that station personnel put 10% ethanol labels on all the dispensers,and the diesel pump shouldn't have the sticker.

That may well be true. I have read that ethanol is added to diesel to make biodiesel, so Ediesel may also be another reference to bio diesel. Or maybe they didn't have any bio diesel stickers so they used an ethanol. It would be interesting to ask them. I'd stick with Hess myself.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #13  
1* It depends upon what part of the country you reside in.
If I were to purchase off road / farm diesel I would have to purchase a minimum amt. @250-300 gallons which would have to be delivered.
2*In my area there are no fuel stations that carry off road diesel like there are in say Kansas or Oklahoma for example.....so if I were to use 300 gallons in a year then yea it would be cheaper,
3*but for my 30- 60 gal I may use in a year it is not practical.
4**Oh yea I would also need a tank to store it so there is a cost for that too.
~~~~~~~~~~~
*So the moral to this story is.....no it is not cheaper for everybody.

~~~~~~~~~~~
1*Here the Min. is 150 gallons but it does not apply if they are all ready making deliveries in my area or are going right by me on their way to or from making other deliveries.
(I just have the supplier / distributor fill my empty 55 gal. drum when they are already in my neighborhood.Have you asked anybody there to do this for you?)
2* Here we have 1 regular Gas station that has the red off road fuel at the pump or I can take my 30 or 55 gallon drum to 1 of the 3 supplier / distributor dealers and get as little as 20 to 30 gallons.
3*That's about what I probably use in 6 to 12 months.
4*I don't count this expense when comparing the cost of off road VS on road because either fuel requires handling and storage.
You can't put it in your pocket.

*But a $1.50 is less than $2.00.:D

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #14  
That may well be true. I have read that ethanol is added to diesel to make biodiesel, so Ediesel may also be another reference to bio diesel.

Ethanol and biodiesel are not even vaguely the same thing. Ethanol is ethel alcohol, same as booze. Biodiesel starts with veggie oil which is subjected to a simple chemical reaction with methanol and lye. I never heard of diesel being mixed with ethanol but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #15  
I use this for fueling my tractors.

100_2582.jpg

I can take the 55 gallon drum to town and get it filled with on road for 2.59 a gal or off road for 2.19 per gal.
It just makes sense to me to fill it with off road and save 40 cents a gallon .
Wushaw is correct, we have the same senerio around here and
*my usage would not justify purchaing bulk of off-road fuel.
~~~~~~~~
*I don't justify having the set up based on the amount of fuel I use.
I base it on the systems superiority over other methods & how it performs for me .
Any savings on the price per gallon of fuel is just icing on the cake.

If I could not get off road fuel here I would still use the set up with on road fuel as it is a 1000 percent better than 5 gallon cans and manual handling.

Last edited:
   / Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #16  
Elliott, the general concensus over on the tdiclub forum is that adding ethanol to diesel isn't a good idea and may have adverse effects on the seals of injector pumps. From what I have read it burns cleaner with less soot and the ethanol lowers the gell point. The diesel and ethanol do not naturally mix and so they use additives to keep it from seperating out. I myself think its not a good thing and will try and make sure I don't fuel up any of my vehicles at a station that sells the E-Diesel. I'm not sure what the motive is to mix the ethanol with D2 other than maybe getting rid of a surplus of ethanol.

Deere did a ethanol-diesel study, but I would think it might be biased towards E-Diesel. More corn demand equals more green iron sold for crop production.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #17  
Ethanol and biodiesel are not even vaguely the same thing. Ethanol is ethel alcohol, same as booze. Biodiesel starts with veggie oil which is subjected to a simple chemical reaction with methanol and lye. I never heard of diesel being mixed with ethanol but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

It seems they are making E diesel. Your right though, this is not biodiesel.

EthanolFacts.com: Ediesel

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400

I just came home from work. During break, I spoke to an individual at Exxon / Mobil and they told me that Ethanol is not added to the diesel.

I stopped by the station on the way home from work as I wanted to look at the pump signage again. The diesel handle was bright yellow and right next to it was a bright yellow sign regarding ethanol content and then adjacent to that were the gasoline pumps. While I know ethanol is added to gasoline, I thought the sign was refering to the diesel since the pump was yellow and the adjacent sticker is also yellow. The sticker did not specify it was referring to gasoline or diesel and was just as close to the diesel pump as the gasoline pump.

So I will use the diesel I purchased....

I apologize if I confused anyone and thanks for the comments.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #19  
I stopped at a local station today to fill my 5 gallon diesel jug (I'm not as fortunate as LB) and was studying the pump up and down before I put my credit card in the slot. The wife rolled down the window and asked what the heck I was doing. I informed her of this thread and told her I was looking for an ethanol sticker. She said I looked crazy looking all around the pump. I didn't see the sticker and filled my container.

Thanks Elliott for posting your follow-up or I would be looking for the ethanol sticker everytime I fill up.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400
I stopped at a local station today to fill my 5 gallon diesel jug (I'm not as fortunate as LB) and was studying the pump up and down before I put my credit card in the slot. The wife rolled down the window and asked what the heck I was doing. I informed her of this thread and told her I was looking for an ethanol sticker. She said I looked crazy looking all around the pump. I didn't see the sticker and filled my container.

Thanks Elliott for posting your follow-up or I would be looking for the ethanol sticker everytime I fill up.

Yeah, I posted right when I got home as I would have done the same thing if I had read this thread. I told the fellow from Exxon / Mobile (corporate) that I would give him a call back on Monday after I took a look at the signage again. My father worked for Exxon his entire career and his job paid for my college education so I always buy my fuel from Exxon / Mobile. This station had just re-opened and it is the only Exxon / Mobile in my area that sells diesel.