Torn boot?

/ Torn boot? #11  
One of the front steering boots is slightly torn on my BX2350. How big of a deal is this? It doesn't look as if its filled with grease or anything. It looks like it would be difficult to replace it.

Mine tore and I replaced them both with bicycle inner tube.... It does not take long to replace the boots with tube (30mins per side once you get the hang of it)..... I used a mountain bike tube 2.125 size. When you cut it make it long enough so that you can turn the tube inside out over itself to make it twice as thick and then secure each end anchoring it with zip ties straddling the joint...

Things to pay attention to:
1. The length of your tie rods (measure the length of the tie rods BEFORE you begin removing them (measure twice to make sure you put it back together very close to original)

2. DO clean the tie-rod joint (you dont have to get crazy with the cleaning, just do a good job) then manually try to regrease the joint with a good quality grease (I use a lithium based axle grease)

I will post pics when I get a moment, and I may post a "how to" next time I change them (they usually last a year before I have to replace them)....

boot.jpg

Last edited:
   / Torn boot? #12  
I replaced a torn boot on my L3240 about a year ago. I ordered the part from Messick's for about $25, which included shipping. It went together with minimal swearing except when it was time to slip that pesky snap ring back over the greasy rubber boot. No knuckles were harmed in this repair.

This is a weak point in the Kubota front end design and someone on here did a really nice job of armouring his machine by bolting a section of belting or tire tread to the front of his steering rack. It was an elegant solution that provided heavy protection for the boot from sticks while still flexing enough to allow the steering to go from lock to lock. I'll snoop around and see if I can find that thread.

Milkman's radiator hose solution is real trick, too - nice use of available materials!

-Jim

/ Torn boot? #14  
I just replaced a boot on my L3940 it took about a half hour. Just unbolted the tie rod and unscrewed it, counting the turns, slipped the new boot on and screwed the tie rod back in and bolted it up. The part was $17.00 at the local dealer.

/ Torn boot? #15  
I used that silicon rubber stuff to repair it on my BX24. Some say that just leaving it alone is ok unless you do many, many hours of work per year. Who knows. Plus a loose tie rod on a tractor is not like a loose tie rod on a vehicle going 60-70 MPH.

/ Torn boot? #16  
I just replaced a boot on my L3940 it took about a half hour. Just unbolted the tie rod and unscrewed it, counting the turns, slipped the new boot on and screwed the tie rod back in and bolted it up. The part was $17.00 at the local dealer.

Last time I inquired about a replacement boot for the BX2350, I was informed that the boot itself is not available. The boot is "part" of a complete tie-rod assy..... I am hoping someone can say that this is wrong (and provide a meaningful part number) as I would love to replace my BX2350 boots also..... Until then, I am using my "tube" fix....