Tornados vs pole barns

/ Tornados vs pole barns #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Tornados thru here yesterday, about 30 miles SSW of Indianapolis. Sure looks like the roof in the attached pic was by far, the weak link. Building's walls unscathed, despite being giant sails with little support, once the roof left the building. Several years ago, after hurricanes in the South, postmortems on some of the damaged houses indicated a little extra hardware holding their roofs down might have saved them. Maybe our pole-barns could use some too?

Attachments

• 539D8961-C1E1-4BB2-962D-D890D78B570D.jpeg
    539D8961-C1E1-4BB2-962D-D890D78B570D.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 189
   / Tornados vs pole barns #2  
Hurricanes are not the same as tornados. Not much hardware is going to save any structure in the path of the latter.

/ Tornados vs pole barns #3  
If a tornado goes over that sealed building and drops the barometric pressure a few PSI, the roof will be coming off. (or so some say....)

/ Tornados vs pole barns #4  
That building doesn’t look like it had a holddown failure. Looks like broken trusses etc.

The Simpson H1 holddowns kept the entire roof from separating from the walls- trusses, sheathing and roofing as one unit.

Anyway thx for posting. It helps put some things in perspective.

/ Tornados vs pole barns #5  
Pole barns, (along with many other things) don't hold up very well here when the tornado hits here either

/ Tornados vs pole barns #6  
If a tornado goes over that sealed building and drops the barometric pressure a few PSI, the roof will be coming off. (or so some say....)

That used to be the common perception, however, it's not what happens. Usually, the tornado rips the roof off, then there is little lateral support for the walls, and they collapse with wind load.

I know every time there were tornados when I was a kid, my mom would run around the house like a nut making us open all the windows so the house wouldn't explode. Believe me, it wouldn't do squat to open the windows, and might actually be of more harm, because it would let massive winds into the structure.

/ Tornados vs pole barns #7  
I have the hurricane clips on my trusses. I doubt they will hold in a tornado.

/ Tornados vs pole barns #8  
That pic is unique. I see no reason the roof should have came off. But, maybe the overheads were open?