Toro 224 Garagemonster

/ Toro 224 Garagemonster #1  

GarageMonster77

Tractor
Toro 224 Groundsmaster
groundsmaster gurus I need Your help! I have a 223D converted from a mower to a turf sprayer. Original Mitsubishi diesel has been swapped for a 3 cylinder gas engine but the hydraulic and PTO systems are rebuilt original.
The sprayer is powered by the PTO shaft coupled to a hypro silver series six roller pump. The pump is rated for speeds from 540-1100 RPM. The PTO turns at approximately 66% of the engine speed so the pump is kept within its operating limits by keeping the engine RPM @1500 or lower. Not the best situation but it is what it is.

So here’s the problem; the hydraulic charge pump requires a minimum of 1700 engine RPM at idle (tractor not moving) to keep fluid moving through the system, and and up to 3200 RPM to displace enough fluid to efficiently power the hydrostatic drive. Like I said previously it works, but I’m afraid it won’t work long term. Hydraulics aren’t my strong suit but I’m thinking if the charge pump is not displacing enough fluid, then there’s less pressure in the system opening and closing steering valves and less fluid moving through the cooler, resulting in excess heat in the system and premature failures.

I need a way to reduce PTO shaft speed
allowing for higher engine speed. My first choice would be a belt and pulley swap. There’s not a lot of room for a larger driven pulley on the PTO shaft because of its location near the frame of the tractor. So here’s my question ; where could A guy find (what older implements are out there waiting to be rebuilt or parted out) a worm gear set up that is rated for CUT power and has something close to 3:1 reduction? I’d prefer some sort of straight thru in line gear box cause it would be nice and neat when finished without too much re design of the pto - pump power transmission. But I’m more interested in functionality than aesthetics so as long as the gear box can handle the torque input it will work. Thoughts ? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I’ve done this whole thing as a garage monster and there’s no reason to stop now! the tractor, pto, and transaxle drive are original toro 224 groundsmaster. The engine and ignition are a geo metro. The carburetor is a VW bug mounted on a home made adapter plate so it can bolt on to the metro TB intake. And the whole thing spins a 540-1100 rpm rated roller pump for the homemade boom sprayer built for this specific application…

This machine is going to be used commercially so it needs to be reliable and ready to work. So so ‘solutions’ that require constant attention aren’t gonna cut it.
Ok guys that’s what I got. I’ve spent a lot of time reading these forums while building this thing so I know there’s someone out there that will have good input for me. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 408E30D6-849B-4976-9191-89D7AA05BAF4.jpeg
    408E30D6-849B-4976-9191-89D7AA05BAF4.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 958699BD-230B-41BA-88E6-05FC3BF3E09B.jpeg
    958699BD-230B-41BA-88E6-05FC3BF3E09B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 1BCD3867-2C42-4F5D-97AD-3FE712DE8559.jpeg
    1BCD3867-2C42-4F5D-97AD-3FE712DE8559.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
   / Toro 224 Garagemonster #2  
   / Toro 224 Garagemonster
That would make sense wouldn’t it? lol. I got The pump and a backup for a song at auction. This whole project has been a series of compromise and modification

/ Toro 224 Garagemonster #4  
Switch to a 12V pump and drive it off the car engine alternator/battery. No driveshaft needed. Always provides constant flow regardless of engine speed.

/ Toro 224 Garagemonster #5  
Also, wear a respirator and rain gear. A sprayer in the front wouldn't be my first choice without a cab. It's why I tow a 12V sprayer behind my little machine.