Totally Confused on Which Model

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So I continue to research which Kubota I plan on to upgrade to. Currently I have a '95 B20 and have looked at the L45, L4400+BH or MX4700+BH. I targeted the 40hp+ as I figured with the additional work I plan on performing on my property the extra power would come in handy. The following is what tasks the tractor will do:

- snowblowing drive
- collecting firewood
- removing stumps
- digging drainage ditches
- creating large veg & herb gardens
- creating trails through property
- building stone walls
- planting trees

Based on the above a BH will be very useful for me and I have one now and don't know how I would give one up. I am also looking at a BB and debating a tiller or plow & disc & harrow for the gardens.

After sitting on both the L45 and L4400 and test driving, I like them both however the L45 wins overall especially for BH work and overall comfort. Now I have been thinking whether I should consider the Grand L, possibly the L3940 HST or L4240 HST. I have seen a lot of you mention the Grand L for the additional 'comforts' they provide. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have either and only just got in two L5740's with cabs. So I am totally perplexed as to what model makes the most sense for me as this is a big dollar purchase and I want to make it right. I have looked over so many posts on other people purchasing/considering models, I think I have confused myself.

On a final note, I don't see a difference between spending say $34k or $38K between the models with BH. I do see a difference with the L45 - an extra $8K!

Tks.

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #2  
The L45 is more of a commercial back-hoe,where the others its an ADD-ON,depends how much work you have for the BH.The grands are nice tractors,I have/had two.All depends what you are using for and how many frills you want.There is a jump between the L3940 and L4240(loader larger),four cylinders non-turbo.I would think you could get a L4240 with a BH for about $35,000.I didn't price on Kubota build your own,you can.
The L4400 and larger MX4700 may be less.
Build and price,they all are nice tractors.
My tractor is an L4240HSTC,no BH...has been a good rig.

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #3  
Since you have experience with a B20, rather than jumping up to L45, what about the L39? It would be a big jump from a B20. It would seem to easily handle what you outlined, but as you pointed out, the tractor set ups are less than the construction TLB's. But the L39 probably out performs some of the tractor TLB set ups you listed and is even more heavy duty. Two Cents!

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #5  
I just went thru the same dilemma, in the end I went w/ the L45. Got a great deal and it is head and shoulders above the others you mentioned (not that they couldn't do the job:thumbsup:), especially the backhoe for clearing land, although the L39 has the same backhoe. It was the biggest most powerful TLB that I could haul w/ my Chevy 2500 HD. Figured resale would appeal to not only homeowners/ farmers but commercial landscapers as well. :2cents:

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #6  
I have a L4240 with Backhoe. It is a great tractor. I don't have experience with the L39 or L45 model backhoes. Based on what I read I feel they would be better for backhoe work. My BH90 Kubota has not let me down. I have used it for exactly what you describe needing. It comes off quickly and the 3pt hitch is easy to install. The tractor is good size moving in and around the wooded area and the HST makes it easy to move the tractor around. The loader (grapple) is great for moving brush and trees.

I would save the additional $$ for the other larger/stronger backhoes, get the L4240 or L4400 and put the extra $$ in other attachments. Especially if your B20 backoe did most of what you needed.

This is just an opinion from the what it is worth category.

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #7  
Since snow blowing was mentioned in the first post...

What are your intentions, front or back mount? If front mount it will require a mid PTO which may not be available on all models. Before you have sticker shock, I suggest you price out a front blower. On my L3130 a new snow blower and all the other hardware needed to make it functional was just over $7,000. (I ended up purchasing used, but it took a bit to find one)

/ Totally Confused on Which Model #8  
Kyle, I can certainly understand your dilemma. You do have a tough choice that only you can decide, based on what your situation requires and what you will be happy with. Here are some thoughts... I try to keep from rambling on too much.

The commercial grade TLB's are an obvious choice when a lot of heavy dirt moving/digging work is in the cards. They are "ruggedized" compared to the regular model Kubota's of similar size, have more hydraulic capacity and stronger FEL and BH setups. I also think the single operator station is a big plus. The drawbacks are a) the FEL is non-removable and b) cost.

I will give a plug for the Grand L's. Some folks seem to have the idea they are cushy "gentlemen's estate tractors" and don't notice they are also larger and heavier than the standard L's, with more capability. If you read owner posts, the Grand L's do plenty of hard work for their owners, in spite of (maybe partly because of :)) the comfort features. So, give them a fair evaluation. The L4240 for example, looks to me to have about 80-90% of the FEL/BH capability of the commercial L39 and may be a more versatile machine for non-dirt moving applications.

The MX series is comparable in size to the larger Grand L's, but is more aimed at the agricultural market as a small utility tractor. Especially with HST, they make nice, no-frills work tractors, somewhat larger than the standard L models.

Looking at your list of work, I don't see anything that says you could only get it done with a commercial machine. So maybe spending the extra $$$ for an L39 or L45 is not absolutely a requirement. But you know what they say about opinions being like (a certain body part)... everyone has one.

It would probably benefit you a whole lot to get to a dealer who actually has all of these models in stock. You'd probably figure out very quickly which one suits your requirements best. Reading other people's opinions like this is not a very good substitute. But, I hope this, and the other comments, are helpful. Best of luck!

/ Totally Confused on Which Model
Thanks everyone. I am starting to believe the L45 while it's a very nice machine is overkill for some the tasks I have and a tractor around the 40hp mark would more than do the job. Now it's just trying to find a few to 'try on'. I'll visit my dealer this Friday as he told me he was a couple trailers coming in so hopefully he has an L3940 or L4240 that I can take a good look at.

Tompet - the L39 I have discounted because it's not HST which I am a big fan of.

TripleR - Yes, I saw this post and tried not to drool.

Vjd57 - Yes I saw your post. The L45 is a great machine, very comfortable and a sweet BH. My concern is after buying it, then I have to go out and buy a BB and tiller - ouch!

Grandad4 - The reason for looking at the L45 is because I like that it's a tough machine and heavy duty. The FEL is quick attach however I agree the cost is high. I also agree that the other models I am considering will do the work I have planned well. Now it's just trying to find a dealer 'locally' who has all the models to try out.

/ Totally Confused on Which Model
So I think I have decided on what I am getting. After looking over things again, I believe the following makes sense:

MX4700
LA844 loader
BH92
BB (not sure which make/model yet)
Woodsplitter

And questioning a tiller. It's a lot of money for only using it two times a year.

The reason for going with the MX4700 is that the loader has a lift capacity of 1852 whereas the L4400 with the LA703A only has 1543, that is a big difference. Also the MX models are newer and I like the new curved hood as well as up here in Canada, the M models are 0% for 60mths whereas the L models are 0% for 48. Overall it will do everything I need it for. I can't really compare it to the L45 and it's an additional $7-8k so I am thinking to use some of that money to get the BB and woodsplitter, neither of which are too expensive.

Now all I got to do is get a good deal for my B20 trade and a decent price on the MX4700.