Tow Ratings, New Vehicle

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #11  
I do a fair amount of towing with a SUV. Most of it is pretty light duty requirements......but I have a heavy boat that I tow short distances in the spring and fall, and like the ability to tow my tractor if I want / need to.

RANT: So I go to Edmunds to look at SUV's and do some internet searches to compare tow ratings. DUH....NOBODY lists the tow ratings for these vehicles. What do they think people buy these for? It's really aggravating when your trying to gather incomplete data on these vehicles. :confused2::confused:

I currently own an 07 GMC Acadia....but wonder what other "crossover" or small size SUV will tow up to 5000 lbs? Ideas?

Please....no safety police.....just tow vehicle ideas. :laughing:

RANT 2: Geez....we used to pull more weight with CARS than what they rate many of these SUV's for. :confused: It's all about highway gearing and gas mileage (and unibody) anymore. I am trying desperately NOT to own a second tow vehicle and still get 'er done. grrrrr

You're looking in the wrong place. The info is out there.
For example, the Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guides have all the info on their products

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

Someone else can dig up similar info for Dodge and Chevy/GMC.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #13  
Dodge towing guide for vehicles from 2002-2009 - Dodge Towing Guide

A Dodge Durango can tow up to 6,000lbs with the "small" V8 4.7l Flex Fuel (E85 capable) engine and almost 9,000lbs with the HEMI V8.

And according to that link posted above of Edmunds' Top Ten Tow Vehicles for 2004, it was number 4 and the top mid-sized SUV even besting the Ford/GM Full-size SUV's for towing. Not surprisingly, Chrysler has 3 of the Top Ten vehicles on that list. :thumbsup:

I just noticed you are looking for a "cross-over" or small SUV. The Ford offerings are limited, Escape - 3500lbs, Flex - 4500lbs. The Dodge side has the Journey limited to 3500lbs but the Nitro is rated to 5,000lbs with the V6 4.0l (260hp/265lb.ft.) plus the Towing package adds the necessary engine/transmission/power steering coolers, class-III hitch, trailer sway control, 4-pin wiring, etc... The Dodge Nitro is only rated at 3500lbs for 2009 and older model year if your looking used. It's the new 2010 models that are rated at 5,000lbs.

Toyota FJ Cruiser is rated at 5,000lbs as well with a V6 4.0l (260hp/271lb.ft.).

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #14  
Before I bought a new vehicle without a hitch I would check to find out the cost of installing a hitch. A friend just bought a Honda minivan and decided to sell his trailer when he got an etsimate to have a hitch installed. He said it would be cheaper to have a couple of loads of mulch delevired each year.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #16  
Dodge towing guide for vehicles from 2002-2009 - Dodge Towing Guide

A Dodge Durango can tow up to 6,000lbs with the "small" V8 4.7l Flex Fuel (E85 capable) engine and almost 9,000lbs with the HEMI V8.

And according to that link posted above of Edmunds' Top Ten Tow Vehicles for 2004, it was number 4 and the top mid-sized SUV even besting the Ford/GM Full-size SUV's for towing. Not surprisingly, Chrysler has 3 of the Top Ten vehicles on that list. :thumbsup:

I just noticed you are looking for a "cross-over" or small SUV. The Ford offerings are limited, Escape - 3500lbs, Flex - 4500lbs. The Dodge side has the Journey limited to 3500lbs but the Nitro is rated to 5,000lbs with the V6 4.0l (260hp/265lb.ft.) plus the Towing package adds the necessary engine/transmission/power steering coolers, class-III hitch, trailer sway control, 4-pin wiring, etc... The Dodge Nitro is only rated at 3500lbs for 2009 and older model year if your looking used. It's the new 2010 models that are rated at 5,000lbs.

Toyota FJ Cruiser is rated at 5,000lbs as well with a V6 4.0l (260hp/271lb.ft.).

Thanks for posting the Dodge towing info.

Just for grins I check the 09 Ram 2500. Got these results.

Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle Results

If I understand this correctly, going from a 3.73 to 4.10 rear axle ratio doesn't buy you a thing in towing capacity. Counter-intuitive--I thought there would be a difference. What am I missing here?

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #18  
If I understand this correctly, going from a 3.73 to 4.10 rear axle ratio doesn't buy you a thing in towing capacity. Counter-intuitive--I thought there would be a difference. What am I missing here?
The GCWR is limited to 20K pounds on both trucks. It's probably a chassis/ brakes factor.
Yup, the truck is limited to the 20k GCWR but the truck with that 4.10 rear end will certainly get that load off the line a lot easier and make those hills easier since the engine will be at a higher rpm but you will sacrifice fuel mileage in exchange for drag car acceleration. :D

Also the chassis/brakes probably aren't the limiting factor since their the same on the 3500. It's has more to do with suspension and the fact that they don't want a 3/4-ton truck rated at the same as the 1-ton.