Towing a Log Splitter (NY)

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
As the title says, towing a log splitter in NY. Anybody gotten a ticket for towing a log splitter in New York ???

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #2  
No, but I don't tow more than a few miles. I could see getting a ticket, no lights, plates, registration.....

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #3  
I would guess it is classified as Farm & Ranch, nothing special required.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #5  
If you're talking about any modern box store log splitter with little Mickey Mouse wheels and tires labled "45 mph maximum speed", I would just set the stupid thing on a real landscape or utility trailer, and tow that. These things are made to be towed home from the store, once, and then towed around your own property thereafter. They're not built for highway use, and damn near impossible to back up in a jam.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY)
If you're talking about any modern box store log splitter with little Mickey Mouse wheels and tires labled "45 mph maximum speed", I would just set the stupid thing on a real landscape or utility trailer, and tow that. These things are made to be towed home from the store, once, and then towed around your own property thereafter. They're not built for highway use, and damn near impossible to back up in a jam.
That would be great if i owned a trailer, but i don`t. So that`s why i asked the question.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #7  
That would be great if i owned a trailer, but i don`t. So that`s why i asked the question.
I used to rent a trailer, before I owned one. $30 - $70 per day, based on size and weight. For a log splitter, something toward the cheaper end of the range would be fine, if available.

That said, I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for towing a log splitter anywhere in the USA. There's also this old post citing NY state vehicle code:
It is legal to tow a splitter, compressor, cement mixer, etc on the road in NY without a tag on it.
The NY DMV website says:
Source: http://nysdmv.com/forms/mv274.pdf

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #8  
I can imagine a couple "downers". It's a small unit - without lights, reflectors, etc - pretty dangerous item to be towing down any highway. And then there are the legal requirements.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY) #9  
I can imagine a couple "downers". It's a small unit - without lights, reflectors, etc - pretty dangerous item to be towing down any highway. And then there are the legal requirements.
Most box store log splitters are approved for local road towing only, not highway use. Most are limited to 40 or 45 mph maximum speed, which in many states with minimum required speed for limited access roads, precludes them from highway use.

But as to the issue of no lights or license, that's no issue in NY, for small items like log splitters and cement mixers, where the tow vehicle's brake and signaling lights remain visible.

/ Towing a Log Splitter (NY)
I used to rent a trailer, before I owned one. $30 - $70 per day, based on size and weight. For a log splitter, something toward the cheaper end of the range would be fine, if available.

That said, I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for towing a log splitter anywhere in the USA. There's also this old post citing NY state vehicle code:
My 06 Silverado 2WD has a basic OEM rear bumper. I have no trailer light hook-up`s on this truck. So even renting a trailer wouldn`t have done me any good either. The rear bumper has a hole in it for a ball, but thats all it has. I had to buy eye bolts and install them in the bumper just so i had something to hook the safety chains to it.

I took the chance with towing the log splitter home because that was the only way i was going to get it home. Had i latched a trailer to the back of my truck, no way to plug in the trailer lights, that would have gotten me in far more trouble with the cops than just towing the log splitter on my bumper, in my own opinion.