3-Point Hitch Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #1  

Timb2828

Tractor
John Deere
I am considering purchasing a 27' airstream that weights 6000 lbs, and I was looking for thoughts on using my John Deere 2320 to move the trailer around in my yard. The hitch weight is 791 lbs for the trailer and the specs on the JD is 1150 lbs. The lawn is flat, and I would have to tow it about 200'. I do have 165 lbs of font weight I can add to the tractor. The biggest issue is stopping I know but has anyone successfully towed something 3.5 times its weight? Thanks.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #2  
I wouldn't do it. But if you do, please post pictures. :laughing:

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #4  
I would do it, flat, hard ground only, after I wired an off-on switch to turn on the trailer brakes if needed.

I would use a fixed drawbar, not the 3pt hitch.

Dealers move them around their lot with "tractors" like this.

High Quality Heavy Duty Powered Motorized Trailer Dolly - 5000lb Capacity
TrailerDolly-5000lbs_main2.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #5  
Think you would be pushing your luck. I have pulled 7-8k with my tractor that weighs around triple what yours does and it is a LOT of weight. I would not try it with a small machine. One little thing goes wrong and it could create a very bad outcome very quickly.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #6  
I see the rear lift is rated at 1433lbs at the pins. If the ground is level it shouldn't be a problem. What could go wrong except getting stuck? I would go for it.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #7  
I see the rear lift is rated at 1433lbs at the pins. If the ground is level it shouldn't be a problem. What could go wrong except getting stuck? I would go for it.
Ya, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest on level ground (very different equation if hills are involved). I've moved heavier tongue weight loads on a ball on the end of pallet forks on the loader on my old L3200 (admittedly a bit bigger of a machine). Your tongue weight is about half of what the 3pt is rated for.

Be warned a 3pt doesnt have any down pressure. Sudden stops or going downhill can cause negative tongue weight & the trailer causing the 3pt to lift. Lots of rollovers happen in situations like that. Hitching a trailer to the drawbar is safer as it can't lift like a 3pt. Personally I've moved a handful of trailers on my 3pt knowing the risks. 2mph, flat ground, no sharp turns at anything but a crawl & being aware of the physics involved mitigate most of the risks. I stopped because my 3pt trailer moved was harder to mount than my SSQA pallet forks & sticking a ball in the hole in the fork.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #8  
My wife and I worked a part of one summer in a big RV park. They had a storage lot for customers to leave their travel trailers in. Such customers would call to tell us when they were coming and we'd pull their rig out of the storage lot and park it in one of the regular RV sites. And when the customer left, we'd pull that travel trailer back to the storage lot. That was all done with a John Deere but I don't remember the model.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #9  
On flat ground or gentle slope, I wouldn't hesitate to do it with my 2320. Unless you are dealing with real slopes, I don't see the problem.

/ Towing a RV with a John Deere 2320 #10  
I moved my 8000#+ Arctic Fox trailer around using a ball mount on the 3Pt hitch on my Kubota L4200 without any problems. It was about twice the weight of my tractor.