Towing capacity of small compact tractor?

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #1  

73jeep

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1523
I need to navigate through a tricky trail through the woods with a tandem-axled trailer to haul out some stumps, brush piles, etc. I plan on using my tractor to get the trailer out to a point to where I can attach it to my truck. The trailer probably weighs about 2200+ lbs. empty. I was wondering if tractors have a tow rating limit? My guess is no, that you just pull in low gear until you'd loose traction, but I thought I'd ask first to make sure I wouldn't damage anything. Also, not sure what tongue weight rating for my drawbar is on MF 1523. Could tongue weight on my drawbar be a possible problem, or if the front end stays down--it's OK ?

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #2  
Not familiar with your 1523 but I assume it has a 3ph. I made a drawbar with a 2" receiver for my JD. This DB has a spot to hook chain and add weight as well. When moving trailers over rough ground the 3ph allows me to raise or lower the tongue of the trailer. This also allows me to do the same/opposite with the rear of the trailer when it starts to drag on the ground (hangs up). It also makes it handy when I want to hook onto a trailer that has the hitch sitting on a log or jack. In the bush I often unhook the trailer then use the FEL to unload it. By planning ahead and keeping a lot of tongue weight I seldom have to get off to latch the hitch.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #3  
I know the owner's manual for my MF 1533 gives a tongue weight limit for the drawbar. I think it also gives towing limits for a trailer without trailer brakes. Since you have a MF also, your owner's manual may provide that information for your model.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #4  
As a previous poster said, a 3PH ballmount is the way to go. In addition to being able to raise the ball up and down, it puts the ball farther back, allowing much sharper turning. There are a bunch of different manufacturers. I bought the EZ Mover that is advertised on this site. It bolts on a 3PH - mounted drawbar, to which I also attached a grab hook for pulling things with a chain. That said, I bolted a ballmount onto my rear blade, which is almost always on the tractor. I use it all the time for moving trailers (5'x8' utility, 20' equipment, 3 horse slant load). That also has the advantage of putting the ball far back for tight turns. Our tractor is a 38 horse kubota and has no trouble moving the trailers around.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #5  
No experience myself, though this spring I'll be shifting several trailers around the yard with our new BX2350. The owner's manual for that tractor gives a relatively low limit for trailer towing, though I suspect it assumes a trailer without brakes. I'd be mildly concerned about pulling one and half tons or more of trailer and loads through the woods with a smaller trailer unless the trailer has working brakes or the ground is flat. The trailer could easily push the tractor around on a down grade.

If the trailer has electric brakes on both axles and tractor has a decent size battery and brake lights it shouldn't be hard to hook up a simple brake controller. If the trailer has hydraulic surge brakes on both axles in good condition then you should be okay going down hill. Most surge brakes don't like to back up which can be a problem, and won't keep you from rolling backwards when headed up hill.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #6  
I tow some pretty big trailers around all the time with my little bx. Even pulled my 4x4 pickup with trailer out of the mud. Pulls/pushes my 5000# jeep around pretty easy too.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor?
Thanks everyone. I now have another obstacle though. My 2 5/16th Ball,(size for the trailer), the bolt will not fit through the drawbar hole, nor the 3PH drawbar holes. It appears these holes are 7/8" maximum, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 2 5/16th Ball on a bolt less than 1 1/4". I may just have to cut some extra trees and use my truck to get to it.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #8  
drill the hole bigger, weld the ball on, make an adapter with a 2" receiver and use whatever ball you need. Heck 4 a one time use use a 2" ball and make sure your loaded tounge heavy. Haven't you ever seen a 2 to 2 5/16 ducttape addapter? I would rather not take my $52,000 truck into the bushes, if my tractor will do the job.

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #9  
I looked up a picture of your tractor. My guess is the trailer weighs about as much if not more than the tractor. If you are on a hill and try to stop the trailer may take over for you. My trailer weighs about 1400#, tractor a little over 2000#, I have a hill to go down when I bring the trailer to the house, yep it'll push the tractor. No brakes on the trailer.

On flat ground it's not problem.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ Towing capacity of small compact tractor? #10  
Haven't pulled a trailer with mine and the trailer pushing on a downhill would concern. But, as a data point, my 1740 lb B7800 lists towing weight max of 3300 lb and drawbar load of 800 lb.

By the way, 800 lbs is a little more than the 3PH limit (750) at the lift points. I don't know if you can use that as a guide or if it is a coincidence.