Towing capacity

/ Towing capacity
Great advice, so far. I shouldn't need to ever go more than about 50 miles with a load and none of it would be on an interstate highway.

I'm that guy who doesn't want more trailer than I need. Longer means that much more difficult to maneuver and more space to store when not in use.

/ Towing capacity #12  
Trailer length is important. My Kubota BX with loader and cutter is just under 18 feet long, but it isn't very heavy, as tractors go.

Bruce

/ Towing capacity #14  
I shouldn't need to ever go more than about 50 miles with a load and none of it would be on an interstate highway.
Distance really doesn't matter unless you're just crossing the street and then you can just drive it there. You will still need to chain it down properly even just going down the street a little ways.

If you load the tractor on the trailer, the trailer needs to be balanced with ~10% to 15% tongue weight! This is very important so you need a trailer long enough to move the tractor back & forth on the trailer.

/ Towing capacity #15  
At 10k additional Driver’s License requirements might kick in.

My 18’ PJ has two 6k axles but trailer ordered de-rated to 9980lbs which puts it just under 10k to comply.

I like having the extra safety margin and 18’ has handled everything including full size van and Deere 110 TLB

/ Towing capacity #16  
At 10k additional Driver’s License requirements might kick in.

My 18’ PJ has two 6k axles but trailer ordered de-rated to 9980lbs which puts it just under 10k to comply.

I like having the extra safety margin and 18’ has handled everything including full size van and Deere 110 TLB
I think it is funny that a person from CA has to have a CDL to tow a trailer over 10K but I can drive into CA from IL with a D license towing a 14K trailer behind a 3/4 ton pickup and be legal.

/ Towing capacity #17  
Yep... it gets even funnier...

There is a recreational trailer exception last I checked...

So that huge Camper over 10k OK... but a utility trailer with backhoe the same weight no...

I know Ford also had options to de-rate F250 and 350 so GVW is under 10k...

/ Towing capacity #18  
To make your day more confusing note how difficult it is to get a straight answer as to the towing capacity of a truck.

If rated 7,000 pounds you will not be perfectly safe at 6,999 and dead at 7,001. I think common sense is needed. Some are totally frightened to exceed 5,000 with a 7,000 rating, "absolutely positively must have a 1 ton to tow 5,000 pounds!". That if they can feel the trailer at all behind the truck then the truck is not big enough.
It has a lot more to do with weight of the tow vehicle, method of towing, and tires than it does with rating. Also as a general rule there’s accepted trailer to tow vehicle ratios for different types (bumper pull, goose neck, etc). You should consider more facts with applicable data and less feelings.

/ Towing capacity #19  
I think it is funny that a person from CA has to have a CDL to tow a trailer over 10K but I can drive into CA from IL with a D license towing a 14K trailer behind a 3/4 ton pickup and be legal.
What trailer are you pulling that weighs 14k?