Towing capacity

/ Towing capacity #21  
I pull my L2550DT with a 3/4 ton Dodge with a V10 and a 7K tilt bed trailer (two 3,500K axles). It pulls fine up and down hills and being a dual axle trailer it has brakes as well.
My regret in the purchase was not getting a 9K trailer but no issues with my current package for the Kubota use.
Something's confusing to me in that calculation.

Two 3500 pound axles can only hold 7000# total. You have to subtract the weight of the trailer from those axles to get the usable load.

For example, I have a 7000# car hauler trailer with two 3500# axles. My trailer weighs 1500#, so I have to subtract the 1500# trailer weight from the 7000# capacity of the axles to get a 5500# usable load capacity.

/ Towing capacity #22  
Something's confusing to me in that calculation.

Two 3500 pound axles can only hold 7000# total. You have to subtract the weight of the trailer from those axles to get the usable load.

For example, I have a 7000# car hauler trailer with two 3500# axles. My trailer weighs 1500#, so I have to subtract the 1500# trailer weight from the 7000# capacity of the axles to get a 5500# usable load capacity.
You are correct on including the trailer weight as well as subtracting the tongue weight on the truck. yes it is marginal but with heavier rated tires it does just fine. I never go more than probably 20 miles maximum.

Biggest thing is taking care of tires and keeping them inflated.

I had considered changing out the 3500 axles with 5000 axles. Both a 7K and 10K trailers were the same frame according to the manufacturer. I found out in Washington State that once a trailer is licensed for 7K that is all it can ever be licensed for unless it gets a new vehicle inspection. Not that anyone is going to stop it and examine it though....

/ Towing capacity #23  
Trailer manufacturers like to play fast and loose with their specs sometimes. Like gooseneck 16K trailer with 7K axles. They assume a certain amount of tongue weight in their weight rating so it doesn't overload the axles.

/ Towing capacity #24  
I am trying to build out parameters for a truck and trailer I will need to transport my tractor. I can get specific weights on tractors and equipment. I am trying to determine how much 'wiggle room' I need to build in to my calculations. So if I get a medium-sized CUT with ROPs, that is about 3300 lbs. 16 ft trailer with about 7000 lb capacity is 2500-3000 lbs. Cab is a maybe right now. FEL is a definite yes, so I will have to add in weight for that. Also likely to have med-hvy duty RC on 3pt. What other factors do I need to consider? Like, how heavy would loaded tires be? At this point, I don't know what I don't know. I don't want to buy too small a truck, but I also have no interest in a behemoth.
I'd personally love to find a good trailer at a great price, but since I haven't and I only occasionally need to use a trailer, I put up with renting about once a year. It's *way* cheaper than owning a trailer, and as I said, once a year...

Now if I needed to haul my tractor even once a month I'd probably eventually break even by buying a trailer and that would be excuse enough for me to buy one.

@Torvy how often do you expect to need to move the tractor via trailer?

/ Towing capacity #25  
It has a lot more to do with weight of the tow vehicle, method of towing, and tires than it does with rating. Also as a general rule there’s accepted trailer to tow vehicle ratios for different types (bumper pull, goose neck, etc). You should consider more facts with applicable data and less feelings.
No, you are confused. The vehicle tow rating includes all those factors which it is so hard to get a straight answer from the vehicle manufacturer as to tow rating when there are (3) different cabs, (2) different wheelbases, 2WD and 4WD, engines, tires, and tow packages. And then one must subtract the weight of options such as sunroof, bed liner, power seats....

A 1/2 ton may be rated for 7800 pounds bumper pull, 9500 bed (5th wheel or gooseneck) pull. A 3/4 ton may be rated 10,000 bumper, 15,000 bed.

/ Towing capacity #26  
No, you are confused. The vehicle tow rating includes all those factors which it is so hard to get a straight answer from the vehicle manufacturer as to tow rating when there are (3) different cabs, (2) different wheelbases, 2WD and 4WD, engines, tires, and tow packages. And then one must subtract the weight of options such as sunroof, bed liner, power seats....

A 1/2 ton may be rated for 7800 pounds bumper pull, 9500 bed (5th wheel or gooseneck) pull. A 3/4 ton may be rated 10,000 bumper, 15,000 bed.
Plus the wife, 3 kids, atv in the bed of the truck, the kids bikes, and other thing else they decide to bring with them.

/ Towing capacity #27  
How much.....how far.....how often......how hilly.....flat lands or mountains......on Inter State hwy....are things to consider.
It ain't the towing that gets ya...it's the stopping that trix "ya.

Cheeers,
Mike

/ Towing capacity #28  
A pic of my rig. You really need to know roughly the weight of your tractor your getting. My tractor naked is a little less than 2000 pounds but by the time you add fluid to the tires, a loader and a rear implement it gets a little over 3000 pounds.

I will also be the payload police. The truck in my picture is a Ford F150 XLT. It has a payload of 1940 pounds. Add me and my tool box and that number drops to 1600 pounds. Add a couple of buddies and it’s 1200 pounds. Figuring a 13% trailer weight, this would allow a trailer weight of 9000 pounds. The problem is many half ton trucks will have a much lower payload, as low as 1300 pounds. In my example above, this would mean a trailer weight of less than 5000 pounds. The payload is listed on the door jamb sticker on newer trucks. Learn where to look for this.

Also don’t buy into salesman’s or makers claims. Ford says something like 3000 pounds of payload and 13,000 towing. That’s a fairytale truck, a regular cab, 2 wheel drive, heavy duty payload, max tow, no options.

Good luck on the search.

5B8290E5-2614-46D3-B417-F91F4DD6CBB8.jpeg

/ Towing capacity #29  
The owners manual for my old F150 has a very detailed chart listing towing capacities. It breaks it down by cab model, engine, and rear axle ratio. Above the chart it discusses all the details about not exceeding the GVWR OR GAWR limitations. It also warns that replacing tires with those of a higher rating do NOT increase the other values.

I considered upgrading but my max towing capacity is 7200 LBS so without a bigger truck the point is moot.

/ Towing capacity #30  
This is an example of a truck which is probably within it’s limits, but IMHO is still sagging too much. I don’t know if the weight is too far forward or he just needs a set of load levelers.
I could also be wrong, I followed him for about 15 miles and there was no sign of wobble. It was a long ways to New Hampshire though.

Attachments

• 582F0B69-1B7A-469E-A15B-F45D344F3260.jpeg
    582F0B69-1B7A-469E-A15B-F45D344F3260.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 216