Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #1  

Kubotafan

Veteran Member
Tractor
G1800AWS, B3030HSDCC, L3540HSTCC, JD710A
I am thinking about a truck or SUV for towing a trailer with lawn mower and equip. I am wanting something that will seat at least 5 people, so thinking about something like a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline, or a Toyota Tacoma or Highlander, or something similar. I don't understand all about torque, etc. but was told the Honda's don't have as much torque as the Toyota's, so don't make as good a vehicle for towing, and that fuel millage drops considerably when towing a trailer. Can help be given to advise suggestions for a tow vehicle. I would be thinking something used rather than a new truck/suv.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #2  
Best option to me would be a full-size pickup, though if you have to seat 5 that means a four-door, and then you're stuck with a short bed. That sort of reduces the benefit of a pickup somewhat. But they tow great.

That said, towing 3500 lbs is not a lot. The Pilot and Ridgeline can do that, though I never liked the Ridgeline -- seems like the worst of both worlds. Also look into the Acura MDX, which can tow 5000# quite well (it has AWD with a RWD bias under towing conditions). Plenty of other mid-size SUVs as well, but pay attention to the tow ratings, as many of the FWD-based models don't tow a lot.

Haven't heard issues towing with Hondas versus Toyotas when all else equal.

Mileage hit depends on what you tow. I see a 5mpg drop (from 19 to 14) when towing a tractor on my 7x16 landscaper, generally in the 4500lb range for trailer+tractor.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs
Best option to me would be a full-size pickup, though if you have to seat 5 that means a four-door, and then you're stuck with a short bed. That sort of reduces the benefit of a pickup somewhat. But they tow great.

That said, towing 3500 lbs is not a lot. The Pilot and Ridgeline can do that, though I never liked the Ridgeline -- seems like the worst of both worlds. Also look into the Acura MDX, which can tow 5000# quite well (it has AWD with a RWD bias under towing conditions). Plenty of other mid-size SUVs as well, but pay attention to the tow ratings, as many of the FWD-based models don't tow a lot.

Haven't heard issues towing with Hondas versus Toyotas when all else equal.

Mileage hit depends on what you tow. I see a 5mpg drop (from 19 to 14) when towing a tractor on my 7x16 landscaper, generally in the 4500lb range for trailer+tractor.

What kind of truck do you have? I do want 4 X 4. I have also thought about a Rav4. With a smaller SUV I would need to go with a 6 cylinder to get the towing capacity. I have though about a full size too, but want to get the best fuel millage I can so I could use it for more than just towing - a second family vehicle.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #4  
I have a 2012 MDX, and chose it mainly because it was the best towing mid-size SUV I could find that I also liked for family use. Would prefer a pickup for towing and cargo, but it's worse for the other 95% of the things I do.

A RAV-4 is too small for serious towing -- vehicles like that generally only tow 1000-2000 lbs tops. So look at the next size up, which should get you into the 3000-5000 lb range. And count on getting a brake controller for the vehicle and a trailer with brakes -- it's a must in that range.

Power is important, but even more important are stability and braking.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #5  
4x4 tacoma is a good fit for that size job

I have a 2012 MDX, and chose it mainly because it was the best towing mid-size SUV I could find that I also liked for family use. Would prefer a pickup for towing and cargo, but it's worse for the other 95% of the things I do.

A RAV-4 is too small for serious towing -- vehicles like that generally only tow 1000-2000 lbs tops. So look at the next size up, which should get you into the 3000-5000 lb range. And count on getting a brake controller for the vehicle and a trailer with brakes -- it's a must in that range.

Power is important, but even more important are stability and braking.

The V6 Rav-4 is rated for 3500lbs towing capacity, but the 4 cylinder is only around 1500, maybe a little less. The V6 has been dropped from the line the last few years. I like the Rav-4 for a passenger vehicle but there are others I would rather have for towing.

The MDX is nice, but too nice for my budget!

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #7  
How much do you want to drive this vehicle?

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #8  
Best option to me would be a full-size pickup, though if you have to seat 5 that means a four-door, and then you're stuck with a short bed.

No, you can get a crew cab (full 4 door) with a full 8' bed. At least in the used market, IDK what they are currently making but our 2007 Chevy has a full sized bed and seats six.

How much do you want to drive this vehicle?

I presently have three vehicles, two cars and a 1988 Ford F150 4x4. My wife doesn't drive the truck, so we need two cars as the truck is too thirsty to use for much driving. My thought are to sell a car and the truck (it only has 191,000 km and is in very good shape and be a good truck for someone interested in antique vehicles) and buy a truck/suv that wouldn't be as thirsty and be able to use more as a commuting vehicle as well. I presently only drive the truck about 5000 km a year, but if I was to do as I am thinking I would likely be putting closer to 10,000 to 15,000 km a year on it.

A short box would do all I would require, as I have trailers if anything bigger is needed. I don't mind towing a trailer, and almost all the time I am driving the truck it is with a trailer on behind. If the trailer isn't attached, I have a hard job backing up the truck, as I am always cutting the wrong way!!!! I never have a problem backing up the car!

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #10  
Ford Escape will tow 3500 pounds with the tow package.