Toyota sienna what coolant??

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
Friends car is low on coolant . It's a Toyota sienna with a v6.

image-221105510.jpg

Is there a all makes all models or a correct coolant? Thank you that's all the info I have on the car

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #2  
Many of the new coolants are labeled safe for all makes and models. The real question is why is it low?

Chris

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #3  
I drive a Toyota(different model) and a lot of other Toyota owners suggest only using the coolant available at the dealer. That is what I have done in the past ...

/ Toyota sienna what coolant??
Many of the new coolants are labeled safe for all makes and models. The real question is why is it low? Chris
a radiator was recently changed on this vehicle. I cannot find any leaks or see how low the coolant is but there is no coolant available in the recovery tank of the car. I found no leaks but there could be a leak of course.

The problem with the "all makes all models" coolant is yes it is safe for use in different cars but can cause issues if mixed with the wrong coolant.

I will think about a universal coolant and having them get it changed soon

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #5  
Who changed the radiator? Do they happen to remember if it was orange or green?

Who changed the radiator? Do they happen to remember if it was orange or green?
I wish I knew. It is not wise to mix coolants if you don't know what's in there. There radiator is sealed so I can't tell what was put back into the systems.

And I am series about not mixing "universal coolants " with certain coolants. The results are devastating. If it was summer I would add distilled water until it reached the shop in a few days. My best idea right now is to drain some out of the system. If it is green or yellowish I can and will add a universal coolant for a few days till it gets changed out completely at a Toyota dealer.

It's not my vehicle but I would not run the coolant that low on any of m vehicles. Thanks

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #7  
I drive a Toyota(different model) and a lot of other Toyota owners suggest only using the coolant available at the dealer. That is what I have done in the past ...

Guys I know say to use only Toyota coolant. $24 or so a gallon for pre-mix and you should know if you have red or green/yellow and get the same kind. While I was buying some at the dealer recently, there was a fellow there getting a new radiator and water pump. He said he used a different coolant for the last change and his troubles started after that.

You would think there would be an aftermarket coolant that works but there must be something more to it. I'm staying with Toyota coolant unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Guys I know say to use only Toyota coolant. $24 or so a gallon for pre-mix and you should know if you have red or green/yellow and get the same kind. While I was buying some at the dealer recently, there was a fellow there getting a new radiator and water pump. He said he used a different coolant for the last change and his troubles started after that. You would think there would be an aftermarket coolant that works but there must be something more to it. I'm staying with Toyota coolant unless someone can convince me otherwise.
At my last job we used fleet gaurd universal coolant and it actually would work good with all makes all models. Many good factors about that coolant. Before mixing any coolant a very thorough flush is needed.

I will talk to my friend and see if I can call the company that replaced her radiator and hoses. That may give me an answer as well as draining a pint of the coolant in the radiator of her vehicle. Thanks

Appointment is set up Monday to get her van checked out at a Toyota dealership. We bought a gallon of coolant and got a free half gallon of coolant. It is pre- mixed Toyota coolant.

Adding the coolant made for the engine till Monday will be alright. On Monday I think she is getting a fill and flush.

Tonight I am jacking up the van, putting it on jack stands, adding coolant as well as looking for a visible leak. I do believe there has to be a leak on the van for it to ever get that low. She had a radiator replaced and she tells me the engine was replaced. It's a 2005 Toyota sienna

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #10  
If the radiator was just replaced, it could be low from air pockets that worked out of the system after running the engine. The overflow on that van only holds about a qt. There is a pressure cap on that system. Either on the radiator or on the passenger side of the motor right where the top rad hose goes to the engine.
If the engine is cool, take off the cap and see if the system is low.
I certainly wouldn't take a van to the dealer and pay a diagnostic fee if it's a couple qts low immediately following a radiator replacement. Top it off and watch it for a few days.
Just my opinion.

Chuck