Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #121  
This has come up several times in multiple threads but finding accurate data is almost impossible for sales in the USA. The purpose of this thread is to try and provide accurate information.

I did find this blog that has some data on request for used tractors by brand. It is interesting but have not verified the source.

Any information would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that these rankings are for heavy agricultural tractors, not cuts and uts.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #122  
I am surprised at the strength of the AGCO group.
It’s because of their dealership networks and their brands. On the tractor side, Fendt provided the technology for their CVT transmissions and their rear axles. My Massey has a Fendt CVT and rear axle.
Look at Fendt, Massey Ferguson, Challenger and Valtra tractors. Tough to beat. The discontinued “AGCO” house brand tractors were excellent value tractors and had Cummins or SISU diesels in them. The Fendts have MANN or Deutz diesels in them. MANNs routinely run 20,000 hours and make peak torque on lower RPM than probably any competitors diesels. Masseys have durable Northern European SISU and Valmet diesels in them. Not sure what they offer in newer models since they are out of hay farming affordability for me.
Cant afford Fendt, but am actively pursuing a Cummins powered AGCO 250HP DT series to compliment my current Case-IH because of the reputation of AGCO. They didn’t make a lot of them so there’s not a lot of choices.
wholeheartedly recommend anyone on this website considering a tractor purchase to check out the AGCO lineup. There’s so much tractor technology there.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #123  
It’s because of their dealership networks and their brands. On the tractor side, Fendt provided the technology for their CVT transmissions and their rear axles. My Massey has a Fendt CVT and rear axle.
Look at Fendt, Massey Ferguson, Challenger and Valtra tractors. Tough to beat. The discontinued “AGCO” house brand tractors were excellent value tractors and had Cummins or SISU diesels in them. The Fendts have MANN or Deutz diesels in them. MANNs routinely run 20,000 hours and make peak torque on lower RPM than probably any competitors diesels. Masseys have durable Northern European SISU and Valmet diesels in them. Not sure what they offer in newer models since they are out of hay farming affordability for me.
Cant afford Fendt, but am actively pursuing a Cummins powered AGCO 250HP DT series to compliment my current Case-IH because of the reputation of AGCO. They didn’t make a lot of them so there’s not a lot of choices.
wholeheartedly recommend anyone on this website considering a tractor purchase to check out the AGCO lineup. There’s so much tractor technology there.
I agree. Specially about the MAN engines having great torque at very low RPM.

Just check this dyno run on a Fendt Favorit 824.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #124  
My MX-270 made 270 PTO HP on the dyno six months ago.
Fendts are very impressive machines. I think there may be one in my future…..

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #125  
I am surprised at the strength of the AGCO group.
Around here, Massey Ferguson is a major player. There are red tractors everywhere. This is completely unscientific, but I suspect the market breakdown is as follows:

30% JD
30% MF
30% Kubota
10% Everything else

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #126  
I think a couple of huge factors play into all of this as well as peoples preferred tractor choices.

One factor is triple digit hp machines used for serious agricultural tasks. Most tractor brands just aren't building for large scale ag work. IMO, that is an entirely specific market. ymmv

Another big factor is that regionally, dealer networks and availability has a big difference depending on where you live. In my area, Kioti and Branson are non starters due to lack of any dealers. If one is inclined to travel hours to get to one of their dealers, the next thing to consider how long they have been in business, do they service the tractors and will they remain in business. They have popped up and gone under not too far from here. In other regions they may be thriving.

I haven't specifically counted but around where I live the most common dealerships are Kubota and John Deere followed by New Holland. There are mainly small farms in this area of maybe 100-600 acres and those are the three brands you see along with the occasional Case or MF. In the 70hp and lower the overwhelming majority for many miles around here are Kubota and John Deere.

I'm sure Branso, Kioti, Mahindra and others make fine tractors as well but going with what is very prolific in your area has it's merits that should be considered.

If any of those were mainstream around here I could have ended up with one of them. Unlike many, I despise no brand and would be open to any of them. For me it boils down to well established dealers and getting a great mainstream for the area machine.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #127  
A quick search shows there are 2425 Deere dealers, 1100 Kubota dealers, and 450 Kioti dealers in the US.

LS claims 500, but that’s several years old.

Mahindra claims 790.

MF has 590.

TYM had 200 in 2009.

This doesn’t exactly project market share, but it does suggest health.

It also says Deere is strongest overall, with Kubota distant second, and the rest roughly equal , but combined stronger than Kubota.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share
A quick search shows there are 2425 Deere dealers, 1100 Kubota dealers, and 450 Kioti dealers in the US.

Mahindra claims 790.

MF has 590.

TYM had 200 in 2009.

It also says Deere is strongest overall, with Kubota distant second, and the rest roughly equal , but combined stronger than Kubota.

Thanks for sharing this. I had not thought to do a dealer search. I am surprised LS has almost as many dealers as MF.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #129  

Mahindra claims 790.

MF has 590.

TYM had 200 in 2009.

I think that would be a simplistic view. Need a lot more information. Number of dealerships juxtaposed with length of time in the market, a little better. Change in dealership numbers over time...more helpful.

There are also a lot of questions like does United AG count as 1 dealership or many? How do you count dealerships that carry multiple brands? Where is the data for CaseIH and New Holland?

Sheer number of dealerships also doesn't account for target markets. Many of these brands are not targeting large AG work, so they would naturally have fewer dealerships.

Sometimes, companies have too many storefronts. This is an inefficient model and may suggest poor health rather than good health. Expanding too quickly can be problematic.

Good way to begin a deeper analysis, though.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #130  
Around here, Massey Ferguson is a major player. There are red tractors everywhere. This is completely unscientific, but I suspect the market breakdown is as follows:

30% JD
30% MF
30% Kubota
10% Everything else
Small tractors or big tractors?
When you say red, you don’t have any Case-IH ?
They are huge all across the USA