Tractor decision

/ Tractor decision #1  

New property

Tractor
LS MT347 Hydro Cab
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have 50 acres, 15 pasture, 35 wooded. We are starting construction on a new home, 1400 foot driveway. Right now I am focused on LS
MT347 cab hydro with bucket, plow, box blade, brush hog. Am I on the right track? Up until now I have only had garden tractors. Thnx, Barry

/ Tractor decision #3  
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have 50 acres, 15 pasture, 35 wooded. We are starting construction on a new home, 1400 foot driveway. Right now I am focused on LS
MT347 cab hydro with bucket, plow, box blade, brush hog. Am I on the right track? Up until now I have only had garden tractors. Thnx, Barry
Couple questions first:
1, what are you going to be doing in the 35 wooded acres? A cab may be a problem.

2, what are you doing with the 15 acres of pasture? Cattle? you plan to feed round bales?

3, is the driveway hired out, and you just maintaining once build?

4, what impliments do you think you need/want?

5, what's the budget like?

6, terrian and climate? We talking flat lands, mountains, swampy areas, creeks that need crossed, slopes?

7, what's your storage look like?

8, you said plow; you mean a 2 or 3 bottom turn plow or are you talking snow plow? If it's a real plow, your gonna want ag or Maybe R-14 tires, not R-3 or R-4s. If snow, got to talk to someone else, haven't seen the stuff in going on 30 years

Last edited:
   / Tractor decision #4  
Agree with Paul, you need to state what you intend to do on your property to get the best answers here.
also what the lay of the land is

/ Tractor decision #5  
Couple questions first:
1, what are you going to be doing in the 35 wooded acres? A cab may be a problem.

2, what are you doing with the 15 acres of pasture? Cattle? you plan to feed round bales?

6, terrian and climate? We talking flat lands, mountains, swampy areas, creeks that need crossed, slopes?

8, you said plow; you mean a 2 or 3 bottom turn plow or are you talking snow plow? If it's a real plow, your gonna want ag or Maybe R-14 tires, not R-3 or R-4s. If snow, got to talk to someone else, haven't seen the stuff in going on 30 years
These are all important questions we need answers too^

But right off the bat I’m going to say this would be a good starter tractor (if you got rid of the cab) if you’ve never had a tractor before but won’t be a good long term tractor for you. Cab’s are awesome…if you’re doing field work for hours of the day. Cab’s are a PITA if you’re working in woods or getting on and off a lot. Another thing with this tractor is the wheel size, very small which means you will hate to drive faster than 4-6 mph on a dirt road so getting across your 50 acre property could take 5-10 minutes which doesn’t sound like a big deal until you consider going up a size in tractor it could take 2-5 minutes in addition to protecting the tractor from all the branches and crap in your woods.

I’m not sure about the plow…this is a very light tractor four anything ground engaging like a plow or even a box blade doing real work.

Honestly my recommendation for you would be take a look at the used market. I don’t know why but right now there’s probably 10-12 Kubota 7060’s open station and cab with less than 1,500 hrs in the 22-30k range and they would probably be an ideal size for you. If you decide you want something else later I can’t imagine you’ll loose any money unless you toast an engine or roll it over. I have the M4 which is essentially the delux 7060 and love it, wish I could talk my wife into letting me grab an open station 7060 as I have a lot of uses for it that I’m forcing my MX to do right now.

But shoot us some more details, we love to spend other peoples money!

/ Tractor decision #6  
Couple questions first:

I would have point 6 as point 1, but all good things to consider.

/ Tractor decision #7  
Welcome to TBN Barry.

Do you live in snow country? ....tire chains possible?
What are some of your long range plans?

You may want to think of what tire thread best for the cause.

/ Tractor decision #8  
Just what I would do, if I had 50 acres, 15 pasture, 35 woods, in my part of the world, North FLa, and spending Your money:) I would buy a Massey Ferguson 1760M power shuttle with R1 or possibly R14 tires, in an open station. It's a pretty moderate size, heavy power, for getting through the woods. I would probably want a 6 bushhog, unless your mowing 15 acres of pasture as a yard, double bottom plow, 6 ft box blade, and QA pallet forks. Maybe a grapple if you have the money for general tree clean up, but forks can be made to work. Plenty of power and agility for woods and pasture, as well as the ability to move 5x6 round bales. Power to grow, but sized where your not dealing with an unwieldy machine.

Now, your actually situation is probably Way different than what I just described?