Tractor drawn grader

/ Tractor drawn grader #11  
Back in the woods behind my parents lives a couple that have to maintain their dirt road in order to get to the house at winter, or they get hopelessly stuck in the hollow forest roads. He has dug slots through the berms on both sides to let the water run into the bush, but because the road is lower than the surrounding due to wear and decades of mud splatting up into the bush next to the road, he has to keep crowning it to let the water run to the sides and then channeled through the berms into the bush.

Anyways, this guy has only a small 15hp Kubota or so, but he made a fixed angle grader blade, no joints, no cylinders. To slope the sides, he shortens the toplink to the shortest so the tip of the blade goes down. Once he has cut the sides enough, he levels the grader and smooths out the material he ploughed up. You cant get it simpler than that, though his little Kubby would have no chance to cut hard packed gravel, just not enough weight on both the tractor and implement.

The local municipality has a fixed angle plough to crown roads, and the ridge of dirt in the middle is leveled and smoothed with a standard 3pt hitch field drag which is also the weapon of choice to level fields for farmers around here. I'm not sure but i think the front angle blade doubles in the winter as a snow plough..

/ Tractor drawn grader #12  
I forgot to take a pic while I was using it, so you can't see the hardened cutting edge on the bottom edge of the leading 18"-20" of the front blade. It is welded on about 1/2" below the bottom of the front blade. That cutting edge goes on the ditch side of the road and scrapes up a little dirt. The dirt flows to the middle of the road, but without a hard cutting edge on the rest of the blade, the dirt goes under the blade and is pushed into the road surface.

2013-11-10 11.54.07-1.jpg

/ Tractor drawn grader #13  
My Dad made one of these, many years ago, out of an old horse drawn grader. He took the front wheels off and welded on a pintle hitch ring and hooked it to a draw bar on the 3 point arms. That allowed him to adjust overall height with the 3 point. He never got creative enough to convert the other adjustments (blade angle & side to side slope) to hydraulics because he didn't use it that often and had 3 sons, he could usually get 1 of us to set on the back seat and run the controls for him.

/ Tractor drawn grader #14  
I forgot to take a pic while I was using it, so you can't see the hardened cutting edge on the bottom edge of the leading 18"-20" of the front blade. It is welded on about 1/2" below the bottom of the front blade. That cutting edge goes on the ditch side of the road and scrapes up a little dirt. The dirt flows to the middle of the road, but without a hard cutting edge on the rest of the blade, the dirt goes under the blade and is pushed into the road surface.

View attachment 345288

That's almost an exact copy of the King Road Drag.

King road drag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

374px-King_Road_Drag_Patent_Diagram.jpg

Bruce