Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R?

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #1  

NateWG

Tractor
Kubota
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I've joined a forum and I don't know why I hadn't come here sooner for advice. I am the facilities director for a non-profit summer boys camp (this is a purchase w/ the camp) I didn't grow up using tractors so I've had a **** of a learning curve. As the title indicates I can't make a decision between the Kubota L4701 and the John Deere 3046R.

We have a small team of 3-4 managing the entire grounds, water systems and 70+ buildings so operating efficiency is very important to me.

Main uses are dirt road work, digging, picking up wood chips and dumping them into the truck and logging

I've done my best to configure the two tractors to be as identical as possible.
-Air ride seat (will have all different shapes and sizes using the machine)
-3rd front remote for grapple
-4/5 rear remotes with float for road work
-8 foot heavy rear blade with mech adjustors
-Loader w/ 72" bucket
-Backhoe w/ 18" bucket + mech. thumb
-Quick 3pt hitch

Adds:
-"Fit Rite" Hydraulics Top and Tilt w/ hydraulic angle on the blade.
-Wallenstein FX85 Logging Winch (290 acres of 120+ year old eastern white pines (having 10,000BF milled now))
-Road Boss Model 6 grader planer (3 miles of 11.5' dirt roads)
-TurfTime AR24 3pt. Steel Roller (to quickly pack the roads)

Some quick details:
-Will have a small variety of skill levels using the machine
-The Kubota dealer has offered X for our (Kubota) trade in, and Deere has offered X+8k (plus more heavily discounting the tractor).
-Both dealers have genuinely earned our business.
-The bottom line price of the two units is within $400.
-I've driven both tractors and would be very pleased operating either of them
-Service is effectively the same for me because we use a 3rd party tractor/mower service company that can work on them all (3rd gen family business)

Some differences I've discovered so far:
-The Kubota can lift about 20% more weight with both the loader and backhoe
-Pulling power and 3pt lift are equal
-Does the 3046R really have that many extra niceties over the L4701?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading it all, its a big decision and the global picture is important to consider.

Thanks,

-Nate

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #2  
Welcome to the forum;lots of advice here(all may not be accurate but fun).We have Kubota's and have had good luck and sure many will chime in on their brands.
With multiple operators an HST transmission would be my choice.A quick look says the Kubota is a non-turbo charged four cylinder,and the JD is a turbo three cylinder(Yanmar motor ,very good).
Don't know if it applies to this model JD,but they use more plastic(hood ,fenders) and aluminum rear ends.Difference in weight is about 400 lbs.favoring the Kubota bare tractor.
Either one should do all the jobs your mentioned.Good luck in your purchase.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #3  
You may want three remotes on the rear. Two to operate top and tilt and one for the blade angle. If you only have two you'll be swapping hoses from the tilt to the blade when you put it on/take it off.

Mark the remotes and implement hoses (I use colored cable ties) so they get connected the same way each time. Otherwise cylinders may work "backwards", confusing the operator.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #4  
They're both good machines. Check to see if the JD has an aluminum rear end and if the loader is removable.

Also, recommend you investigate whether the JD has the SSQA loader quick attach system or their own proprietary system. SSQA is the industry standard.

The JD has an optional mid-PTO and the Kubota does not if that matters to you?

Compare whether you prefer the JD twin touch pedals or the Kubota treadle pedal.

If it was me, I'd buy the heavier machine.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #5  
More weight is typically more satisfying and often safer. More lift is typically a good thing as well. I believe Kubota builds a better machine in this size range than the competition.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #6  
There is no question for me. I'd get the Kubota in a heart beat. Reasons: Better capacities. More ruggedly built. More weight. Larger frame. Just the weight difference is n itself a primary reason. For the jobs you've listed, not only would your efficiency time wise be increased but there would be less wear and tear on the machine itself.
It is not just the weight of the machine itself to be considered. The Kubota is using a much larger tire. These tires would accept more ballast making the tractor not only more traction prone, but also more stable as a result.

A more fair comparison would be JD's 4000 series to the Kubota but price would escalate as well. Your biggest bang for the buck is the Kubota imo.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #7  
I was recently in the same “down to these two” classes of machines myself. For many if not all of the reasons listed above I have an L series Kubota in the shop and have ZERO buyers remorse and not ONCE have I even thought that a green one would have been better. I’m a construction guy and researched everything on build, torque etc etc . Good luck !!

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #8  
The Deere 4044M might be a closer comparison to the L 4701. It will probably be less money than the 3046R too. With the 4044M you still get the eHydro transmission, but not as many standard user adjustable transmission features. The current M series eHydro, has the same features as the premium ones did 10 years ago. The eHydro is light years ahead of the Kubota mechanical hydro, and not as akward on the ankle to use. Definitely spend some time on both to see if you can handle the Kubota trestle pedal for very long.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #9  
Most folks considering a L4701 often end up buying an MX4800 for just a little more money. Much beefier tractor all around.

/ Tractor Newb - Kubota L4701 or Deere 3046R? #10  
Additionally, a 7' rear blade and 61" HD loader bucket are plenty for the 3046R.