Tractor radio?

/ Tractor radio? #21  
If I had to wear headphones in a tractor to listen to music I'd do one of two things. I'd never listen to a song or I'd sell the tractor. I use those noise canceling headphone on my zero turn and hate them. To hot on your head and to heavy. I installed a Sony Xplod with Infinity speakers in my Kubota 4240 and this past week into my new tractor. I can listen to my MP3's, USB thumb drive and AM/FM while still hearing the low sounds of the tractor. IF I had to put those headphones on my head along with using my iPhone or iPod I'd say frig it and sell it all tractor and headphones :mad:

Thanks Matt for your kind words and for the record your shop is not a mess and you have some cool tools. :eek:

/ Tractor radio? #22  
i have a fender mount radio on one tractor, and in another I mounted a radio in a plastic ammo box and hung under the rops canopy.

both have speakers.. but I wear big muff style headphones to block out the tractor noise.

soundguy

/ Tractor radio? #23  
Thanks Matt for your kind words and for the record your shop is not a mess and you have some cool tools. :eek:

Trust me my friend, my shop is a disorganized filthy mess that could be classified as a safety hazard in spite of the tools.

Back on hearing protection.

Earmuffs pro and con: Quick and easy to put on and take off. Get in the way of hats and hardhats. The cheaper the muff the worse it hurts my ears. Heavy.

Ear plugs without cord: If inserted correctly, do a good job of reducing noise. Light weight.One time use. A nuisance to roll properly for some. Can push ear wax further down the ear canal.

Then there is this style I've thought about trying. Anyone try them?
Amazon.com: Allen Company Light Weight Low Profile Sound Sensor Hearing Protection, 2320: Sports & Outdoors

If I had a quiet cab; the heck with wearing hearing protection.

Last edited:
   / Tractor radio?
I totally agree...Your hearing is critical for many other reasons...Tony

Tony,

I agree with both you and ham, at least in concept. I like to have the radio on very low in the background for just that very reason. Mainly, I want to listen to what's happening with the tractor on the job I'm doing but want to be very aware what the tractor/implement is telling me plus the cab on this 3240 is surprisingly quiet.

Maybe I have a psychological thing about knowing if humanity is still "out there", as sick as that may seem. :confused2:

scnebraska

/ Tractor radio?
Not all of us like headphones. If a cabbed unit is quiet enough, I'd rather have a good old fashioned car stereo setup over headphones.

mjncad,

I think that's the crux of the matter. I just don't care for headphones unless they are the input I have to be concentrating on above all else and that's not the case when I'm driving the tractor. I've spent years talking on two way radios and never even came close to having a problem but that was because my mind was on my driving and the secondary topic was what was happing on the radio.

An important part that many folks don't realize when you are communicating in a professional situation, the other party realizes that you have a more important job to do (driving, flying, etc.) than giving them an immediate answer and will usually stand-by while you do that job.

In short, if I'm relaxing and want to lock the world out and listen to some music then headphones are wonderful. If I want to be aware of what's happening in my surroundings then to me anyway, it's imperative to be able to HEAR what's happening around me. It's been proven to me many times.

All of these points are very important and I appreciate each and every one of you bringing them up. Hopefully this discussion will help others in the future when it comes to this or a like topic.

Still looking. . :eek: & I'll keep you posted. :D

scnebraska

/ Tractor radio? #26  
Just west of Marianna, Florida a dumptruck pulling a trailer with a hoe on it had been pulled over with a set of blue lights. I noticed that the hoe's bucket was sitting on the ground behind the trailer, and the bottom of the bucket worn away. Figured it bounced off the trailer and dragged for a while. I stopped up the road for a bite and an officer came in. I asked him if he knew what was going on with the dumptruck, and he said he had just written them a ticket. He said it took two miles for them to pull over after getting lit up, because the driver was in la la land with the stereo cranked up loud. He said the bucket was trash and the end of the boom was going to need some repairs.
Just another reason not to listen to a radio, at least not a loud one...
David from jax

This dumptruck and hoe belong to any of you guys????

/ Tractor radio? #27  
naw.. wern't the radio's fault. twas the itiot behind the wheel.

soundguy

/ Tractor radio? #28  
Now that's the truth !
E/S

/ Tractor radio? #29  
Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time.... Listening to a radio/headphones/ect, and driving a tractor at the same time might be a great feat of athletisism to some, but MOST people don't have a problem. I just spent 9-1/2 hours bush hogging johnson grass that had to be 10' tall. Slow and steady....on and on and on....

Had I not had music to listen to, a long day would have been an eternity. No, I didn't feel the need to shatter the windows with volume. I wear noise reduction headphones when I'm on an open station tractor. Ipod when in the cab tractors.

/ Tractor radio? #30  
yep.. I wear a big set of insulated ear muff / headphones. blocks the noise and lets me listen to low volume music either radio or mp3 thru the radio jack from my player.

soundguy