Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #2  
That's an interesting report. To things that struck me as interesting.
1.) Rear rollovers of tractors are sudden events: following onset of rotation, the tractor may reach the point of no recovery in a period of 0.75 seconds.

2.) A rollover will occur when a tractor's center of gravity shifts beyond the rear stability baseline (the line connecting the rear-tire contact points) (4). For example, when a tractor is used to tow a heavy load, the rear tires may be pressed against the ground with increased force. An excessive load that is correctly attached to a drawbar set at the recommended height will cause slipping of the rear wheels or stalling of the tractor's engine before a rollover is induced (2). However, when a load is hitched high on the tractor or attached directly to the rear axle, less power is required to lift the front end of the tractor than to move the load or slip the wheels, which may result in a rollover through rearward rotation.

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety
   / Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #4  
Thanks for posting that second report. I had no idea the geometry behind why you should use the draw bar. I appreciate you fostering safe practices.

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #5  
That second link was really interesting. I always understood why you should use the drawbar. But the idea of hooking high on a stump instead of low never dawned on me. It is obvious now from the pictures and description, but I don't think I would have ever thought of that.

Knowledge is more powerful than any tractor...... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #7  
Skypup:

Thanx for the safety info on tractor roll overs. This has caused me to generate some thoughts and questions. First of all, do you think having a "tilt meter" on my tractor is a good safety item. My lawn isn't, what i would consider very steep, but when mowing on my NEW JD2110 I fell like I am sitting up kinda high and feel a little uneasy, but maybe this is just something I have to get use to. Secondly, I want to put a rippler on my 3 ph for getting around the corners and edges of rocks (sizes unkown as in ice bergs) to work them loose so they will be eazier to remove. Is there a smarter or safer way to achieve this (didn't want to use a tooth bar on the bucket as this would make a bigger hole and do more damager to my lawn or sourrounding areas. Appreciate any comments you might have....THANX

Having a "Tilt Meter" will not prevent you from tipping over but it is nice to know the angle you are currently at so that you can proceed from there. I have tilt meters and all four of our tractors and use them regularly. Although once you get to a 10 degrees offset to the side you will be taking notice for certain with or without a tiltmeter, by 15 degrees you will be making improtant decisions about what to do next, by 20 degrees you wife will be looking for a cheap mortican to take care of you! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Quite often I have used our backblade for digging out individual rocks buried on the surface, just grabbing them by a lip and pulling them out. You will know if they are icebergs or not real fast as to whether they pop out easily with the 3pt lift or not.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #9  
Sky,

Good article. I forwarded the link on to a friend of mine that operates his JD 110 on hilly terrain and doesn't wear his seatbelt.

/ Tractor Roll Over Accident Safety #10  
Hey Sky.....

Just to let you know I am ordering a tilt meter. From discussions on TBN it sounds like an ounce of prevention. So, to continue this topic a little further (a shame how old mines continue to work -HA HA). Would adding wheel weights make any diff on a slope, cause this PA Dutchman only goes bout 150, soken wet....???? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif