Tractor rookie with a 580ck

/ Tractor rookie with a 580ck #1  

Trippy1313

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 580ck
So... I have my other post in the hydraulic section, not sure if it fits better here.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/430136-580ck-draft-o-matic-help.html

But I'm looking at my tractor (70 580ck), and the not very clear service manual I have, and it has me wondering... where does the fluid for the draft-o-matic pump come from? Where do I fill it?

I see the pump picks it up from the "torque tube" which appears to just be the section between the engine and the tranny? So is there a fill port for that? I don't see where it connects the fluid from the frame, so does it have it's own separate fluid or am I just blind. I've been blind before, and I am new to tractors, this is my first. But I'm not afraid to tear it apart if needed, I just dont want to unnecessarily.

/ Tractor rookie with a 580ck #2  
Open this link to Case Construction, in the exploded view, look for part #60, that is the fill plug. The torque tube is the reservoir. It seems on my old 310B, there was a dipstick attached to that fill cap. But, it doesn't show it on this one. Hydraulic pump and adapter, standard clutch: | Case CE | MyCNHi US Store

Open the second link, and it has exploded views of every function group of the tractor. Case Construction,and case ih recently revamped their online parts catalogs. Parts they don't stock anymore, they left the part nuimbers out. I would have to guess they did it,because many people,me included have used those part numbers to find parts in salvage yards, or buy aftermarket parts, such as filters, belts, etc. If you don't have a hard copy of the parts book, might be an idea to look for one. Items like the main driveshaft on models with a clutch is left out, and no part number to identify it. Ebay usually has good deal on OEM one's. What reprint manuals I've purchased, the photocopy has a bit to desire, as far as clarity. Some pages good, some not so good. What OEM parts manuals I have for farm tractors are crystal clear.

Hope this helps..!!

Case construction king tractor (bsn 86858) (north america): | Case CE | MyCNHi US Store

/ Tractor rookie with a 580ck
Thanks!!! That helps a lot! A little tricky to navigate their site on my phone, but I found it. I have seen that plug, I'll have to pull it and see if there's anything inside.

For whatever reason, the parts book I have does now show anything for that pump or the draft-o-matic system. I must have the wrong book. I dunno. It's an old original.

Attachments

• 20200919_203944.jpg
    20200919_203944.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
   / Tractor rookie with a 580ck #4  
Yeah, that's the parts catalog for just the loader and backhoe. And, yes, their site is a little tricky to navigate on a PC too, since some genius behind revampng their site left a lot of valuable info out.

If you plan to keep your tractor, and work on it, it'd be an idea to findan oem repair manual. Very descriptive procedure explanations, with pictures to guide a person along. Ebay usually has a goods election of them. Some decent prices, and some outrageous. If the serial number tag iss till on the tractor, you'll find that to be invaluable alsoin finding books, and working on it. You'llfind Case was great at making changes to parts at certain serial number breaks. The good news,most parts have the part number either stamped, or cast into it. That is the key to finding that exact replacement part.

I just took a look on Ebay, and looks like there are a couple OEM manuals that may work for you,and decently priced.

Right on. Thanks! I also have an old, original service manual (printed 1980), that at least appears to cover most everything, just didn't have the best description of my issue and no information about the torque tube. I wonder if a newer reprint would be any better?

/ Tractor rookie with a 580ck #6  
An operators manual should give you that information.

Cool, just ordered a set of manuals. Service, parts and operators. They looked to be right.

So I did find the torque tube was nearly empty. After some research in this site, I believe I found it takes 16 quarts, so to be safe I put about 13.

I started getting some actual flow, but either the pressure needs adjustment, there's still a bunch of air in the system, or the pump is weak. Hoping that it's just needing to still purge the air that was likely in the system. We'll see.

/ Tractor rookie with a 580ck #8  
Low flow could be due to the hydraulic filter needing replaced. It should be available through NAPA, you'll just have to cross the OEM part number. Are you trying to purge with a cylinder attached..?? That would be the easiest.

If it was that low, there is a chance that the front reservoir seal is leaking, and needs to be replaced. that requires splitting the tractor. If the lower inspection cover has oil seeping from around it, that would be a sure sign. Might want to pull that cover, and have a look. Be forewarned, have a pan underneath, if you do it somewhere you don't want oil on the ground, or floor. The seal was out on the ole' 310B, and about 2-3 quarts of oil came out, when I pulled that cover on it.

I'm thinking the engineer(s) who designed this system, didn't put any forethought into repairs. It's a great system when it's working, but repairs like this are a PIA, as I had to remove the backhoe, and loader to split it. So much for in field service in mind, like most of my IH tractors are. I know a couple of times, if the designer(s) would have been here, there would have been a tussle, and one of us would have gotten hurt...

Honestly, I'm not sure the best way to make sure the air is purged from the system. I have just been doing similar to a power steering system and slowly moving the lever back and forth.

At first I loosened the line on top of the rock shaft housing, had no flow, so then tightened, cracked open the input on the valve, waited for flow. Then tightened, and cracked open the return, had flow. Tightened and cracked open the pressure output on the valve till it had some flow, and finally again on the rock shaft housing. If that makes sense.

I was thinking about pulling the filter to look at it. I read something else about removing the vent filter to purge air faster? Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Also, I had ordered an hydraulic pressure test kit from good old amazonia, just came in yesterday but I don't think any of the adapters will fit. They all look way to small, but I'll be trying to check today or tomorrow. Might look into some filters since who knows how old they are anyways.