Buying Advice TRACTOR SCAM??

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #1  

PossumHound

Gold Member
Out of the blue a tractor for sale ad showed up in our local paper here in NC. JD 4310 for $4800. I know- way too low a price, but I sent an email anyway just to check things out. The answer I received indicated a lady was doing the selling, and she's located in St. Joe, MO. If the price wasn't enough already the red flags went up when I saw that address. I don't intend to send any money without completely verifying the validity of the machine and offer, but I answered her email anyway and asked for pics. I have a brother who lives in MO so I'll have him check it out in person before any money leaves my hands.

So I have 2 questions for you tractor fans:

1- do you think this is a scam; have you heard of anything similar?

2- if it does turn out to be real, would I be obliged to tell her the price is way too low?

PH

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #2  
1. Yes, without a doubt. :(

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #3  
So ask yourself one question. If the price is so great and she lives so far away from you then why couldn't she just list it locally and sell it? My advise is run away.

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #5  
Now wouldn't you like to show up w/flat bed or trailer knock on the door than hand fist full of cash,and say where's my tractor...have local PD on speed dial. :)

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #6  
If your interested in shutting down this phisher, maybe get your bro to contact the local constabulary.

With all of the fraud on the internet, most major police departments have anti-scam officers who work on this type of thing. It might be local, it might be state, but it'd be nice to see at least the odd one shut down. :thumbsup:

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #7  
Do a search.....I bet you'll find this listing repeated in more than a few cities.

/ TRACTOR SCAM??
I hear you - and Thomas, I particularly liked your suggestion. I think I will play along for a bit and see if I can get some info that could be used (or taken seriously) by the cops. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

I shall keep you posted.

PH

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #9  
A good place to start would be online. Check your local and/or state police website, they likely have some guidance on what they want, and what they need. The guys and gals working in those areas are generally keeners, and leads are usually appreciated.

Here's a link that will get you started for the state of Montana...

Computer Crime - MT Dept of Justice

Good luck.

/ TRACTOR SCAM?? #10  
I can't even believe people still ask about these ads.................. :confused2: