tractor size ?

/ tractor size ? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For that kind of excavation and earth moving I would get a decent size tractor. Since I'm a New Holland fan, I'd go for a TC40 or 45.)</font>

Nothing wrong with a little more power but the TC35 is almost the same capability (same loader, same hydraulics, essentially the same weight) and depending on availability, could be a better deal.

/ tractor size ? #13  
I don't know if you will be trailering your tractor, but if you go over 5,000 lb, you are talking about a whole lot more cost for the trailer since you will probably exceed 7,000 lb gross weight. With a loader+backhoe+tractor, it's really easy to exceed that 5,000 lb, especially if you load the tires. I would NOT make this a "deal breaker," but it's something to consider if hauling is part of your equation.

/ tractor size ? #14  
I'm going to suggest the opposite alternative.

I have a JD 855 with a 24HP diesel, 19 to the PTO. It's a small tractor with a small FEL. But to once-off build the MX track and therefter maintain it, it would be adequate. It won't be a quick machine, but depending on the soil, digging five foot pits and building five foot mounds with the FEL is well within its capability. It will power a big enough mower to handle 4 acres easily.

It's not really adequate for a backhoe, though. You'd need to decide how important that option is.

Do I wish I had more HP? Sometimes I'd like maybe 30 or 35 HP. What I really wish I had is a bit heavier hydraulics with power beyond, so I can build a few oddball accessories.

My point is not to underpowqer your tractor, but to evaluate your needs, determine what capabilities you really need, and consider sizing the machine to those needs.

Then buy the biggest machine you can afford. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ tractor size ? #15  
..."It's not really adequate for a backhoe, though. You'd need to decide how important that option is."...

I had a slightly smaller Deere 750 CUT with front loader & Deere #7 (7') backhoe from the factory...
Handled the frame mount hoe well...

My sons easily built a short dirt bike track including jumps with it...

Dave...

/ tractor size ? #16  
I have a 2910, and my advice parallels Henro's. Buy a bigger tractor. I use mine almost exclusively for moving dirt and it doesn't hold a candle to the New Holland TC40D my dad has. Way, way, way better than a wheelbarrow, but for the difference in cost between a smaller tractor vs. a Kubota 3xxx or a New Holland TC4xD, or a bigger JD, it doesn't make sense for you to buy the smaller tractor.

Bigger is definitely better when it comes to moving dirt or using ground-engaging equipment.

/ tractor size ? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a B2910...

Get the 3130 or a 3430. The BH90 backhoe is much better than the backhoe on my B2910.

I almost regret buying my B2910, but since I only have 3.7 acres to deal with it is excellent for my needs.

Buy the L3130...almost costs the same...much more bang for the buck... )</font>

Listen to Henro and by a Kubota L series. I think he has the highest Tractor/Acres ratio of anybody at TBN. Plus, he apparently visits the factory in Japan often in the hope that they will GIVE him a tractor so he stops showing up for tours with that hat and two Kirin's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tractor size ? #18  
i was looking for a tractor recently and was going to buy the 3130, until i went to the century dealer and found a similar tractor for 3-4k less. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif