Tractor smoking

/ Tractor smoking #41  
Letting an engine idle for 30 minutes is a bad practice. Get it started, let it idle for a minute or two if you must and get to work.
I disagree. Let it get up to at least 140F before applying heavy load. 30 minutes is excessive but 2 is not long enough. Maybe the OP's thermostat isn't working right? Is it really up to 180F? A cold diesel will smoke blue from partly unburned fuel. A warm diesel will smoke black from excessive fuel.

/ Tractor smoking #42  
My tractor is smoking quite a bit and smells like fuel alot, the smoke looks bluish. Wondering what it could be.
blue is oil. if it' smokes on start up or after idling a while then it could be valve seals,all the time could be rings & or cylinder wear. also check to see if crankcase ventilation is restricted

/ Tractor smoking #43  
I'd check crankcase ventilation also. Sometimes the IP seal will fail and dump fuel into the crankcase. Do you have turbo? Could oil be leaking into the intake from the turbo?

/ Tractor smoking #44  
Lessons learned from over 20 yearsof working on farm machinery. Cold is not a friend of a diesel. If the engine temperature is not brought up to operating tempersture it will produce smoke mainly unburned fuel. Ever watch a highway in the winter? You will often see turns churning out clouds of a whitish blue smoke. Or watch an episode of ice road truckers. If left idleing too long you can cause unburned fuel past the rings and dilute the crankcase oil. It can also cause slobbering as the engine is not hot enough to burn the fuel.

Have you tried a curtain in front of the radiator, adjusting it to keep the engine warm, often seen on otr truckks.
I know there are arguments both ways buth the best way I have beeb taught is to fire off the engine, a minute or two later slowly start moving.
Other things that can cause smoke:
Bad injectors, out of time.
Different blend of fuel

Keep that diesel working--- Make it labor -- no easy rides.

Way back when the White 4-150 was new (Cat 3208) we had one on the lot. Out of couriosity the boss was courios if it would statrt, It was very cold still night, He climbed up in the cab turned the key smf the engine started easily. H e then suggestedwe leave it run awhile to recharge the batteries. Over 1/2 later we went back outside to shut it down. Going just as high as could see was this collumn of white smoke, from that exhaust pipe to just as far as you could see into the heavens.

Diesels do not like cold----different engineers have different ideas for proper combustion and some just don't work well when cold.

/ Tractor smoking #45  
Just to clear things a little. White smoke is incomplete combustion of Diesel fuel. Steam is water/coolant. I don’t see the engine information but a bad turbocharger seal an introduce oil into the combustion chamber as well.

/ Tractor smoking #46  
Multiple good ideas on here for excess oil consumption. If it came on quickly, then a failed turbo seal or maybe injection pump seal could be it.
If it has been building up over time, then valve stem seals/guides or rings maybe be the problem. Maybe a failure in a head gasket to an oil passage.

/ Tractor smoking #48  
My 2008 L5240 with 1700 hours smokes under acceleration every time then stops. Doesn't seem to burn any oil. So each time I add load such as loader work or even changing direction. Every time it revs from idle. Original owner said it has done thus from new.

/ Tractor smoking #49  
My tractor is smoking quite a bit and smells like fuel alot, the smoke looks bluish. Wondering what it could be.
Check to see if it is overfilled with Oil. I expect it is a gasoline engine so try installing a new set of hotter sparkplugs. On removal, identify which sparkplug is fouled.

/ Tractor smoking #50  
From all the answers I read hear, the best advice that I saw was "put the tractor to work"! With only 400 hours on the machine and all of this "working" at three quarter throttle, the rings have probably never set properly. Find, or create, a job where the engine has to labor for a couple of hours at FULL throttle and see what happens.