Tractor Split - Disconnections

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
So I am at the point of making disconnections for the tractor split.

Electrical:
I'm hoping to disconnect electrical connections and zip-ties and leave the cables hanging on the cab or front section.

Hydraulic:
Need to drain the transmission oil and disconnect pipes/hoses.

Cooling/Heating:
Hoping to pinch heater hoses and disconnect so as to not lose my coolant (I just flushed and replaced the coolant not long ago).

AC:
This seems like a problem. I don't use AC but I would like to keep it functional. The AC hoses have a nice disconnect section that is mounted into a bracket which is attached to the rear of the engine (not sure yet how hard it is to remove this bracket from the engine). I would like to not disconnect the AC hoses as I will lose all the refridgerant from the system. If I could dismount all the AC stuff from the front section I could hang it off the cab and not lose the refridgerant.

Can the AC hoses be pinched to reduce what is lost? Are the hoses under massive pressure? How hard is it to refill the refridgerant if I lose all of it?

Thanks for any ideas!

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #2  
The biggest worry with the ac system is getting trash into the system. You should immediately cap any disconnected lines. Re charging it is fairly easy. You’ll have pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump and then add the correct amount of refrigerant back.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #3  
Sometimes it's possible to remove the AC compressor and condenser as a whole and hang it on the cab side. Be careful to not damage the fins on the condenser.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections
Thanks for this info!

A quick search shows I can get a vacuum pump kit and bulk refridgerant. But I also see the lesser recharge kits with hose & gauge and smaller cans. Is the vacuum pump absolutely necessary because the system is totally empty or would the cheaper kits work but take a long time?

Thanks again.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #5  
Prob have to jump a pressure switch to recharge if the system is empty. If a vac pump is used, the pressure will be high enough to operate normally. Did lots of automotive ac work while in the trade. Expensive machines to evacuate and charge. Gov't course and certs required in the shop. Farm and auto stores have the quickie kits, don't need certs to purchase, go figure.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #6  
Thanks for this info!

A quick search shows I can get a vacuum pump kit and bulk refridgerant. But I also see the lesser recharge kits with hose & gauge and smaller cans. Is the vacuum pump absolutely necessary because the system is totally empty or would the cheaper kits work but take a long time?

Thanks again.

Yes you must have a vacuum pump otherwise any moisture in the line will cause compressor failure in a very short amount of time. Also you will not get the adequate pressure to allow the refrigerant to work. The vacuum also forces the water to boil and allows you to get the moisture out of the lines.

In short, Yes you must use a vacuum pump to create a vacuum in the line then add the refrigerant.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #7  
Yes you must have a vacuum pump otherwise any moisture in the line will cause compressor failure in a very short amount of time. Also you will not get the adequate pressure to allow the refrigerant to work. The vacuum also forces the water to boil and allows you to get the moisture out of the lines.

In short, Yes you must use a vacuum pump to create a vacuum in the line then add the refrigerant.

Every word 100% correct even if lines are plugged while disconnected (which they should be). Many auto parts stores will loan pump and gauges but there's more to it,lots more,so try to avoid opening system if possible. If you're unable to avoid opening it up,we can get into more detail before you do it.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections
Thanks for this info!

I will try to avoid opening the AC system if possible. The bracket that holds the AC hoses must be disconnected from the back of the engine as the hoses can not be removed from the bracket without disconnecting them first. I will see what's possible.

Thanks again.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #9  
BTW,no hose pinching,that will ruin hose and still not hold back the pressure.

/ Tractor Split - Disconnections #10  
I would see if you can find plugs for all fluids and plug the lines. Then you should only loose a little bit of fluid between disconnecting and inserting the plugs. I know some tractors have disconnects on the AC that allow you to disconnect and loose hardly any fluid, much like hydraulic disconnects.