Tractor suspension

/ Tractor suspension #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
These tractors are out of my league, but I wonder how does the suspension work? All that I've ever had is a couple of crappy springs holding up the seat!I can't imagine that they put it on the rear axle also. I've only seen it mentioned in advertising and have never had a chance to look at one in person. And one more question if anybody knows, I also wonder what do these giant super size 3 axle liquid poop wagons have for brakes? That kind of weight will "pucker" you on flat pavement with a 10 wheel road tractor and a 3 axle trlr. with air brakes! 9000 gallons of $hi!t could be quite a problem to control going down hill! Thanks

/ Tractor suspension #2  
The "suspension" is the air in the tires.

/ Tractor suspension #3  
These tractors are out of my league, but I wonder how does the suspension work? All that I've ever had is a couple of crappy springs holding up the seat!I can't imagine that they put it on the rear axle also. I've only seen it mentioned in advertising and have never had a chance to look at one in person. And one more question if anybody knows, I also wonder what do these giant super size 3 axle liquid poop wagons have for brakes? That kind of weight will "pucker" you on flat pavement with a 10 wheel road tractor and a 3 axle trlr. with air brakes! 9000 gallons of $hi!t could be quite a problem to control going down hill! Thanks

Most of the suspensions are on the front axle only, some also have a cab suspension or Deere uses an "active" seat that once the front axle hits the seat compensates when the rear get to that point.

The large tanks can use air or hydraulic brakes.
Go to this link then scroll down through. If you click on the item shown a popup window will open with a better explination and usually pictures.
John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 7930 Tractor (180 PTO hp)

/ Tractor suspension #7  
JCB does have a tractor with 4 wheel suspension, never seen one up close. No one I know has one, I do know a few that have Deere's.

JCB: 3230 Xtra

/ Tractor suspension
Hey JasG, thanks!
It was just one of those things that I had wondered about. Never really thought of, basically an automotive type set up that Deere uses in your link. As for the brakes, I wondered if they went to the trouble of adding an air system for braking. I have seen pics of that jcb high speed tractor, seems that might be more of a European thing that is working its way over here. Neat idea.

/ Tractor suspension #9  
actually New Holland has the best suspension system combinations out there. You have teh cab suspesnion which two huge MOnroe gas struts and springs on the rear corners of the cab and then the front two corners have little air bags. makes the ride amazing on the road or in field. you of course will have an adjustabel air ride seat that is standard on all tractor over 100 hp. the reactivity, air ride, and other features are all adjustable. Then when it comes to the front axle, you have the TerraGlide axle provides up to 4.13 inches of travel to keep the front tires in contact with the ground, letting you ease through rough spots. The result is an ultra-smooth ride plus maximum traction, stability and steering control. The system self-levels, regardless of the front axle load to maintain full suspension travel at all times. A convenient override switch on the armrest console allows you to lock out the front suspension between speeds of 0.9 and 7.4 mphé*�nother feature not found on other systems. Learn more about SuperSteer and TerraGlide?

/ Tractor suspension #10  
Hey JasG, thanks!

Your welcome.

I know what your saying about the large manure spreaders. Unlike with an over the road tractor, where about 1/2 the weight is on the pulling unit. These large speaders are connected by drawbar and most of the weight is on the trailer. There is even 1 spreader that connect 2 large units together. These tractors are usually less than 60klbs, yet towing well over 100klbs. At least once a year I hear about someone getting pushed down a hill or into a ditch with one of these big spreaders.

Even a smaller one can be a hand full. A friend of mine when I was a teen was pulling one that was 3500-4000 gallon up a hill on the road near where I was working. I heard a loud noise and looked over. When he went to pull through the intersection at the top of the hill his rear end broke. This was a IH 2+2 3388, (picture in link below) so he did have front wheel drive. This wasn't enough due to so much dead weight vs the front axle and he got dragged backwards on the pavement and actually was smoking the tires a little. Scared the you know what out of him. He was able to back down the hill. Left 2 wide patches of rubber on the road where he was dragged back.

TractorData.com International Harvester 3388 tractor information

This link is to the tandem spreader.
Nuhn Industries Ltd. - Products - Quad Train Slurry Tank