Tractor Theft Prevention

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #21  
I have 350 pounds of barking dogs, various shotguns, rifles, and handguns. All the dogs have to do is alert me. Push comes to shove, they can have it, it's insured, but we're going to have a pretty good disagreement about it first.

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #22  
If tractor has electric fuel pump or electric fuel control solenoid, it would quite simple to add simple hidden switch to disable, with no fuel its not going to far...

Or you could add a switch to "open" the circuit for seat safety switch, and it would always look like there was no one in seat (to engine control system) so it wont start...

My tractor has a 40 AMP main fuse, If you pull that and stash it someplace (secret) tractor is not going to start.... What thief comes with a spare fuse in his pocket or maybe even know where to look to see if fuse is missing...

Dale

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #23  
I can't speak for the North Island but, here in Tassie, tractor duffing is a rare thing... I know that the Big-Smokes wouldn't bother putting it in the news but our rural paper + the 'bush telegraph' would get the word out quicksmart.

Of course, living on an island with a bloody BIG moat around is a deterrent to anyone inclined to nick a tractor = they're not going to get far. :)

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #24  
Most or all tractors have fuel shutoff levers on the filter/water trap housing. A flip of that switch and they aren't going far. As mentioned, if they could diagnose that on the fly they would likely be doing something much more talented.

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #25  
But the tractor will still start and it seems like a good way to run your own tractor out of fuel.

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #26  
Bit you will probably find it beside the road about a miles from where you last parked it... Unless they can equipped with trailer....

Dale

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #27  
I don't really bother to lock anything at my place and I leave my keys in most of my equipment. Were not far from town but we live on a dead-end road in a rural area and don't get many visitors coming up our road unless they know someone or have some business back in here. It might have something to do with all the gunfire that goes on around here in the evening and on weekends.
I am with you on this, keys in the tractors and everything else all the time. I have a 125# German Shepherd that can hear a grasshopper fart 200 yards away so I am alerted to any strange noise. Folks living on my road may not know who I am when they meet me, but they know my "big black dog". I just have to say that I live with the big black dog and they all know where I live.
I have never lost even a wrench in the 8 years I have lived here and I never lock anything up. Between the dog and the 2nd amendment, I don't have any problems.

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #28  
I am with you on this, keys in the tractors and everything else all the time. I have a 125# German Shepherd that can hear a grasshopper fart 200 yards away so I am alerted to any strange noise. Folks living on my road may not know who I am when they meet me, but they know my "big black dog". I just have to say that I live with the big black dog and they all know where I live.
I have never lost even a wrench in the 8 years I have lived here and I never lock anything up. Between the dog and the 2nd amendment, I don't have any problems.

Thats funny, I have one of them as well, he scares the **** out of some folks when they first see him but he's probably the sweatest dog I've ever seen, and he loves kids but he hates coyote's.
Chaz in grass.JPG

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #29  
Often the police know exactly where stolen property is, but won't act. Maybe it's on a reservation or they don't want to jeoprodize an on going investigation.

There should be the option to select a custom keyway. That would also slow the criminals down, not knowing if it will be generic or custom.

My neighbors were of that, never lock our doors type of mindset. After they got cleaned out, she didn't even want to live here anymore. Nothing like a little paradigm shift.

/ Tractor Theft Prevention #30  
I installed a fuel shtoff valve way back under my BX for ease of changing the filters; turns out secondary use is stop theives. When I take the tractor to the church and leave over night I shut that valve. Once it was obvious someone tried to start it, moved 10 ft and stopped. They did not find that valve in the middle of the night.

Ron