Oil & Fuel Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
In an effort to raise awareness of the importance of agriculture, many rural school districts across the country sponsor Drive Your Tractor to School Days. One such event in my area raised an interesting question at the diner this morning. Is it legal to use un taxed or red dyed fuel in a tractor while operating on a public highway?

Here in rural Pennsylvania, the law is vague on the issue. It prohibits vehicular use of RDF on public roads. Is a tractor considered to be a vehicle?

In my farm community, many of us use RDF in our tractors on the highway. Citations of any kind are rare. I have never heard of one being issued for RDF use.

I’m curious how this is handled in other states and if any here can offer knowledge or personal experience.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #2  
As long as you keep it under 55 you should be ok! :) Seriously, I can't believe any DOT officer would hassle you about a tractor used 99% of the time off road.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #3  
In an effort to raise awareness of the importance of agriculture, many rural school districts across the country sponsor Drive Your Tractor to School Days. One such event in my area raised an interesting question at the diner this morning. Is it legal to use un taxed or red dyed fuel in a tractor while operating on a public highway?

Here in rural Pennsylvania, the law is vague on the issue. It prohibits vehicular use of RDF on public roads. Is a tractor considered to be a vehicle?

In my farm community, many of us use RDF in our tractors on the highway. Citations of any kind are rare. I have never heard of one being issued for RDF use.

I知 curious how this is handled in other states and if any here can offer knowledge or personal experience.

Here in the State of Maine anyway, and I assume many other places, it is lawful to use a tractor on public way when used in agricultural activity. Since the students are raising awareness of agriculture, a very sound argument could be made that they are indeed engaged in agriculture while using public roads in this manner with their tractors and therefore are still legal even if they are using dyed off road fuel.

But is a tractor a vehicle? YES! Across the country there have been many Operating under the Influence arrests when people were drunk on riding mowers.

So, while a farmer might get a good drunk going on while plowing a field A, he could easily be stopped and arrested for OUI (what we call it here in Maine) if he takes the highway to get to field B. However, because he is engaged in agricultural activities, his fuel tank would not be dipped to see if he was using off-road fuel, nor would he be fined if he was.

Two things have to be noted on this...

1. When it comes to agriculture, even in the gray areas, law almost always sides with the farmer. People have a heart for those engaged in farming, and many, many grandfather laws are in place making enforcement difficult.

2. When it comes to committees, people will often bring up the most silly arguments just to add their 2 cents. Most often, this 2 cents is negative in nature. Realize this and not dwell too much on what is said.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #4  
Note: Limited access highways (interstates) are not included because of the rules stated in their use. When I say public Roads, I just assumed that people knew these types of roads were out of bounds for use.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #5  
MN doesn't license tractors, or even title them for that matter. It's not a motor vehicle by definition, and thus not subject to the restrictions of the on-highway fuel taxes.

I drive mine to the local wash-it-your-dang-self car wash a mile away from my house in the metro. I get smiles and waves. I use my turn signals and also hand signal lane changes and turns. Never been bothered by PD and I drive past a fire station on my way. :)

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #6  
Only known couple times a tractor was stop in my area,both times didn't show triangle sign on the rear.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #7  
The only time I have know a farm tractor driver was stopped while driving on a public road in my area is when his driver's license was suspended and he was using his farm tractor to drive back and forth to the local bar. :drool:

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #8  
The only time I have know a farm tractor driver was stopped while driving on a public road in my area is when his driver's license was suspended and he was using his farm tractor to drive back and forth to the local bar. :drool:

This reminds me of George "Possum" Jones.

Screenshot 2018-05-26 at 7.38.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2018-05-26 at 7.39.03 AM.png

George Jones & His Notorious Riding Lawnmower | Saving Country Music

Steve

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #9  
Offroad equipment is not required to use fuel that has has highway use tax paid on it. Period. Whether or not off-road equipment operation on public roads is subject to vehicle and traffic laws is a separate discussion.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #10  
Here in Ontario, Canada if there are no license plates on it then run any colour fuel you want. Tractors are NOT vehicles as far as licensing goes.