Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison?

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I currently have a tractor and skid loader, but find myself much preferring the tractor for everything... it's simply much more ergonomic for me to get in/out, have loads in the air and get in/out, and most of what I do should be done with 3-point attachments.

I'm strongly considering replacing both with a Kioti DK55. The Kioti KL1595 loader it comes with is rated to 2600 lbs at full height of lift, whereas my 773 which is a sufficiently powerful loader for me is rated to 1700 lbs operating. How do these truly compare? I know the skid loader is faster for loader work, but I only do some of that and do a lot more things with the loader. It just seems like given the same weight rating, the skid loader arms are much stronger, the cylinders are much larger, and there's something I'm missing in the comparison.

Both the 773 and L3650 are really sufficient for what I do. The 55 would give me a slight edge to consider future growth. My biggest issue is that the Kioti is available for about what I could sell both my units for, but it's brand new and under warranty. It's also one less piece to store/maintain, and outside of not having a cab in winter, I prefer the tractor 99% of the time.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #2  
On your skid loader, you are probably used to using something like the hydrostatic transmission. The DK55 comes as a gear model, and hydrostatic trans is not an option. However, there are many tractor models with HST that have a healthy loader lift rating. Now, nearly every manufacturer has a tractor with a loader that will lift over 2,000 pounds, and some are even reaching the mid to high 2k's.

If you find that you don't need HST trans, then you can find a gear tractor with even higher lift capacities, nearing 3000 or higher.

I have to agree with you, while I would find a skid steer very useful at times, if I had to choose just one machine, it would be a tractor., due to its versatility.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #3  
One thing you are neglecting is the fact that your 773 may have a ROC of 1700lbs, but the actual lift capacity is probably 3000lbs or more, with lots of breakout force. A couple other things a skid steer has going for it is extremely good visibility and better excavating/digging ability than a tractor due to the loader geometry.

That said, the tractor is probably more versatile, and much easier to get on and off of. On the farm if I could only choose one it would be the tractor, on the job site it would be the skid steer.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #4  
That said, the tractor is probably more versatile, and much easier to get on and off of. On the farm if I could only choose one it would be the tractor, on the job site it would be the skid steer.
Exactly

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #5  
The Kioti DK 40/45/50, use the KL401 Loader, 2764lbs of lift to full height, and come Hydrostatic or gear.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #6  
ishiboo,
Why not move to a tractor with cab and hst? I would agree the skidsteer loader is heavier built but the flexibility of the tractor with 3ph may be a better deal for you. It would seem to me that the larger compacts 50 to 66 hp with cabs would be the way to go.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #7  
I pretty much agree with the previous comments. A new tractor with cab and hst would seem to combine most everything you want. One place you might miss your skid loader that I don't think has been addressed is your hydraulics- I assume your skid steer has MUCH higher gpm ratings that your tractor. A new tractor may get close but probably still not as high-flow as the industrial machine. Might not make a difference for your usage but it can come in handy for certain implements (backhoes, hydraulic snowblowers, etc).

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison? #8  
I currently have a tractor and skid loader, but find myself much preferring the tractor for everything... it's simply much more ergonomic for me to get in/out, have loads in the air and get in/out, and most of what I do should be done with 3-point attachments.

I'm strongly considering replacing both with a Kioti DK55. The Kioti KL1595 loader it comes with is rated to 2600 lbs at full height of lift, whereas my 773 which is a sufficiently powerful loader for me is rated to 1700 lbs operating. How do these truly compare? I know the skid loader is faster for loader work, but I only do some of that and do a lot more things with the loader. It just seems like given the same weight rating, the skid loader arms are much stronger, the cylinders are much larger, and there's something I'm missing in the comparison.

Both the 773 and L3650 are really sufficient for what I do. The 55 would give me a slight edge to consider future growth. My biggest issue is that the Kioti is available for about what I could sell both my units for, but it's brand new and under warranty. It's also one less piece to store/maintain, and outside of not having a cab in winter, I prefer the tractor 99% of the time.

I'd go with your 99%! Why worry about a second battery, fuel system and I can go on!

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison?
ishiboo,
Why not move to a tractor with cab and hst? I would agree the skidsteer loader is heavier built but the flexibility of the tractor with 3ph may be a better deal for you. It would seem to me that the larger compacts 50 to 66 hp with cabs would be the way to go.

My tractor is a GST and I'd actually prefer that to HST, though I could go with a HST if necessary.

The cab adds unnecessary cost - I think I'll buy a plow truck so I can do my other properties for next winter, so a cab is not necessary right now but would be nice

The Kioti DK 40/45/50, use the KL401 Loader, 2764lbs of lift to full height, and come Hydrostatic or gear.

Ooops! It's actually a DK55 with a KL551 loader. Similar ratings.

One thing you are neglecting is the fact that your 773 may have a ROC of 1700lbs, but the actual lift capacity is probably 3000lbs or more, with lots of breakout force. A couple other things a skid steer has going for it is extremely good visibility and better excavating/digging ability than a tractor due to the loader geometry.

That's very true, but part of that is also stability... that tractor has a much larger wheelbase than my skid loader, and ballasted that weight is much further from the lift point.

The skid loader for me has worse visibility... it's very difficult to see/monitor whats behind you, which makes it very nervous for me to work around people/pets. I might miss a small part of the leading edge of the bucket, but I can see the rest.

Only thing in the specs I don't like on the DK55 is the fact the lift at 24" is only 2600 lbs, where as my L3650 is over 2000. 600 lbs seems like somewhat on the low end of an increase between the two models, but I guess it's all relative. I've never been really disappointed in the L3650's 3-point lift so far.

/ Tractor vs skid loader lift comparison?
I pretty much agree with the previous comments. A new tractor with cab and hst would seem to combine most everything you want. One place you might miss your skid loader that I don't think has been addressed is your hydraulics- I assume your skid steer has MUCH higher gpm ratings that your tractor. A new tractor may get close but probably still not as high-flow as the industrial machine. Might not make a difference for your usage but it can come in handy for certain implements (backhoes, hydraulic snowblowers, etc).

That's a good point, but it seems that any higher flow attachments could be solved with a PTO pump on the back end, if that need ever arose. The only hydraulic attachment I have is the angling cylinders on the snow plow, which anything could run :) I'm fine with my cheap 3-point auger, so I'm not sure what else I'd need it for. The post pounder runs off the L3650s hydraulics with room to spare.