Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #1  

AaronD81

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I'm trying to compare loader specs and it's hard to do on paper. I don't have experience with skid steers so I'd like some perspective from those that do. Ignoring all other differences between tractors and skid steers, how do you determine which loader is stronger? ROC and tipping load are the common skid steer specs, but how do you compare that to a tractor loader that is rated at lift at a certain height? Breakout force appears to be the only overlapping spec. It would mainly be used for lifting logs onto trailers and mills so max height isn't important. As an example, the Kubota L47 is rated at 2,848 lift to max height and 4,531 breakout force. The SSV75 has ROC of 2,690, tipping load of 5,380 and lift arm breakout of 4,850. On paper the lifting capacity seems comparable, is that correct? Again, I'm ignoring the usual differences between tractors and skid steers. Is there a certain spec that I should use to compare between the two and across brands? Breakout force seems to be more important for my use, should that be what I use to compare?

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #2  
No where close, the 75 is going to crush the L47 to pieces.

Breakout is only the ability of the bucket to lift something articulating at the front of the loader arms, nothing else.

Lift on the L47 will be the 2,828 at max height.

The "tipping" load for the SSV75 is how much it can lift without tipping forward, which is probably not the maximum lift the laoder is capable of. So basically twice the lifting capability.

Tractors were never meant to lift things, and they don't do it well. The skid steers are designed to be extremely maneuverable and lift heavy things. Look at the arms between the two and consider the geometry and it becomes pretty obvious which one has an advantage.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #3  
Compare the size and thickness of the loader arms and hydraulic cylinders along with the mounting points and distance from the pivot pins to the bucket. If you visually compare them in person, you will start to see the differences.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs
No where close, the 75 is going to crush the L47 to pieces.

Breakout is only the ability of the bucket to lift something articulating at the front of the loader arms, nothing else.

Lift on the L47 will be the 2,828 at max height.

The "tipping" load for the SSV75 is how much it can lift without tipping forward, which is probably not the maximum lift the laoder is capable of. So basically twice the lifting capability.

Tractors were never meant to lift things, and they don't do it well. The skid steers are designed to be extremely maneuverable and lift heavy things. Look at the arms between the two and consider the geometry and it becomes pretty obvious which one has an advantage.
I don't follow what you're saying. If both have the same breakout force how will the SSV crush the L47 when lifting something a few feet off the ground. I understand skid steers are built heavier, but I'm not talking about that.

Compare the size and thickness of the loader arms and hydraulic cylinders along with the mounting points and distance from the pivot pins to the bucket. If you visually compare them in person, you will start to see the differences.
Then why doesn't the skid steer have much higher lifting specs? I understand they are built heavier for longevity and rougher use, but if they truly are stronger why doesn't that show up in the specs? Is it the inherent instability of the design? Looking at them doesn't really help someone with no experience, are you saying there's no way to tell which will lift more based on a spec sheet?

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #6  
As an example, the Kubota L47 is rated at 2,848 lift to max height and 4,531 breakout force. The SSV75 has ROC of 2,690, tipping load of 5,380 and lift arm breakout of 4,850.

L47 will be at max capacity with a 2,848lb load. SSV75 will be at 53% of capacity with a 2,848lb load.

"Rated operating capacity (ROC) is a stability measurement by which skid-steer loaders are rated and compared. ROC is calculated as 50% of the machine's tipping load. The tipping load is the amount of weight that would lift the rear tires when applied to the bucket at the machine's maximum reach-point in the lift cycle."

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #7  
Before you buy a skid steer rent one first to find out if it is appropriate for you tasks.
I was thinking about buying one 4 yrs ago (~80K) and fortunately I rented one. Within 2 hrs I sunk the skid steer up to the tracks in mud.
I hit a sink hole that I couldn't see.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #8  
I don't follow what you're saying. If both have the same breakout force how will the SSV crush the L47 when lifting something a few feet off the ground. I understand skid steers are built heavier, but I'm not talking about that.
Breakout force is how much weight you can have in the bucket and still curl the bucket back toward the tractor/skid. That is not a lifting spec!

L47 will be at max capacity with a 2,848lb load. SSV75 will be at 53% of capacity with a 2,848lb load.

"Rated operating capacity (ROC) is a stability measurement by which skid-steer loaders are rated and compared. ROC is calculated as 50% of the machine's tipping load. The tipping load is the amount of weight that would lift the rear tires when applied to the bucket at the machine's maximum reach-point in the lift cycle."

But 2,848 is at max height, shouldn't it be able to lift much more closer to the ground, which is how most loaders' geometry work?

Before you buy a skid steer rent one first to find out if it is appropriate for you tasks.
I was thinking about buying one 4 yrs ago (~80K) and fortunately I rented one. Within 2 hrs I sunk the skid steer up to the tracks in mud.
I hit a sink hole that I couldn't see.
I agree and will absolutely do this, but am trying to narrow down options first. Already leaning towards tractor because of this, but trying to find out how big of a tractor I need to get comparable lift.

Breakout force is how much weight you can have in the bucket and still curl the bucket back toward the tractor/skid. That is not a lifting spec!

Then what is the difference between the SSVs breakout force at bucket (4,839) and lift arm (3,858)?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but just saying skid loaders are stronger because they have thicker arms and cylinders doesn't help. The L47 has to be stronger than some skid loaders, how do I determine that based on a spec sheet, or is it impossible? Is there a rule of thumb that a tractor loader with a certain spec is only as strong as skid loader with a ROC or tipping load that is a certain percentage lower?

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #10  
If you are going to be lifting max amount on a regular basis you would be wise to look at the skid steer. The front end of a tractor will take a beating doing that where a skid steer is designed to handle that kind of work.