Buying Advice Tractors and LED's?

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
So what do you guys think? Is it time for manufacturers to start building tractors with LED's? Seems like it's the way industry is moving. They're pretty much standard now on all cars, trucks, and in our homes. Brighter, clearer light, less energy consumption, and longer life. What's not to like?

I paid over $7k fo my John Deere X590 lawn mower and it still has old school incandescent headlights and tail lights that aren't even lights, just reflectors. Lame. Time for tractors to have LED's I say.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
I would have to agree with you.

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
Yeah, I suspect it is a cost or quality issue. Even though LEDs are super super cheap......unless you get the quality ones....you know the quality ones that are worth putting under warranty and what not.

Ffterman

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1736HST
I agree. I know some LED headlights come with fans built in to them. I wonder if that’s why they won’t put them in tractors yet with dust flying around everywhere? I installed a pair on my low beams and they are a lot brighter. I’ll order the high beams if they hold up to the dirty environment.

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
I have a set I just installed on my grasshopper lawn mower with fans and another set on my little Bx with fans...the Grand L Cab work lights I installed some in the factory housing that are fanless but have this long braided material that does something for cooling.

mljenkins

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060HSTC
I think it’s ignorant for the price you pay on the higher end equipment like the Kubota Grand L and JD R series that LEDs are not standard. I think JD may have had an upgrade to them but Kubota did not.

Agree even lawn mowers and such should have them. They add a lot of safety and we all work late anymore if we have a day job.

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
Look at it this way. If they change to LED they're likely to use a smaller alternator. Seems quite a few tractors have a pretty small alternator as is. At least now we can change to LED and gain capacity.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
This actually really surprises me. Why Kubota, Deere and the like... are not all over LEDs? A great marketing/selling point in my mind.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
So what do you guys think? Is it time for manufacturers to start building tractors with LED's? Seems like it's the way industry is moving. They're pretty much standard now on all cars, trucks, and in our homes. Brighter, clearer light, less energy consumption, and longer life. What's not to like?

I paid over $7k fo my John Deere X590 lawn mower and it still has old school incandescent headlights and tail lights that aren't even lights, just reflectors. Lame. Time for tractors to have LED's I say.

Thoughts?
Coming from Vermont I could see keeping the "hot" bulbs to ensure the snow melts.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Tractor lights that didn't suck regardless of the type would be nice. Rear facing lights that didn't suck would be nice. I've got a LED bar on the back of my truck and its very nice. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I flipped the light switch on the Kubota CTL it's got forward and rear facing lights bright enough to actually see what I'm doing.