Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #111  
I have been searching everywhere for these pictures of the old Bobcat.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #112  
Forks work pretty well.

As do grapples firewood 2013 005.jpg firewood 2013 007.jpg Rhino-picking up blow down trees 003.JPG

FELs Have to be one of the best back savers ever:thumbsup:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #113  
Various firewood hauling, processing, storing.

Attachments

• Firewood Cutting 11-2012 009.jpg
    Firewood Cutting 11-2012 009.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 377
  • BX25 firewood work 007.jpg
    BX25 firewood work 007.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 484
  • Loading Porch 1.jpg
    Loading Porch 1.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Loading Porch 3.jpg
    Loading Porch 3.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Splitting Set Up 1.jpg
    Splitting Set Up 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 432
  • Backhoe Log Holder 2.jpg
    Backhoe Log Holder 2.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 436
  • BX25 firewood work 006.jpg
    BX25 firewood work 006.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 347
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #114  
My 2305 (2009) hauling some wood, 3 cords total, make this task a breeze...I cant live without it !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 436
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #115  
Not a single picture yet of anyone using a Farmi winch to get logs out.

JRDNORTAX
See post #64

Thanks beenthere :)

Here is are some more just for fun. I love all these wood pictures posted by everybody.

WinchingFirewood1.JPG

Nice 36Footer.JPG

These two go together
BigFirWinchTrail1.JPG

BigFirWinchTrail2.JPG

Short video of some small wood and a self release snatch block to get it around the corner, A little hard to see - sorry.

http://youtu.be/yosJrGCZo8o

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #116  
Not a single picture yet of anyone using a Farmi winch to get logs out. They are a slick rig, with over 150' of cable you can get logs out of places you can't get close to, or just use it to twitch them all out to a main tractor trail without having to drive all over and get right close to the tree. I'll try to get some pictures of our setup. We feed an outdoor furnace, it takes 4' sticks, minimal handling. Did get a hydraulic splitter this year that splits 4' wood, so it makes it easier to use the bigger logs >24" dia

Maybe a lot of people don't have 3-5k to spend on a single implement? They are nice but I just pull the logs down and out with a chain, cut them into 4 foot pieces and pile, roll or flip them onto my forks. Works for this small time homeowner operation.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #117  
My tractor/wood involvement involves 3 different tractors: First, I use an old 1941 Allis Chalmers "C" to drag the logs out of the woodlot at the back of my farm, to the landing, right behind my barn (I explained the advantages of a tricycle tractor for dragging logs in my previous post-way better than wide front). I will drag up as many logs as that little tractor will handle, which is usually just 1 or 2, good sized ash mostly, but oak and maple on occasion. I use a set of log tongues on occasion, but usually just wrap a light chain around each log to drag. When I need to transport logs, for band sawing, etc., I use a set of forks on the bucket of my JD, 4120, usually with a large bush-hog on the back as a counterbalance, to load them on the trailer. That little 43 hp, 4120 actually has as much hydraulic lift capacity on the loader, and 3 pt, as the much higher hp, model 4720. Why anyone would spend the ton of extra money on these higher hp, but equal hydraulic capacity, machines is beyond me. Maybe they need that extra power to run the AC with a cab. I would never consider one of those, on a tractor that gets used in the woods. I simply run a big, home-made canopy out there in the fields while bush-hogging, and I much prefer an open-station tractor, after being stuck in an office for 8 house every weekday. I cut up those logs, on the landing, with two chainsaws: A big, heavy, 20" bar, $700 Husquavarna, which cuts up most of the big logs most of the way thru. I also save my 49 year old back, by using a little, light, 14" bar. $80 Poulan, when ever I can, including finishing off the cuts on the big logs, after rolling them over, 180 degrees, all the cuts on smaller logs, and most of the limbing. Cutting wood with a chainsaw is hard on your back, and a light weight saw will help out a lot there. Finally, I use a little Ford 8n with a rear lift box to move the cut wood into one of my big old barns (built in 1883). Those barns are sided with oak boards and have never been painted. The siding has shrunk enough over the past 100 + years, to allow 1/2" or so gaps between the boards. That has produced an ideal place to season firewood, and rough-cut lumber. A lot of air flows thru those gaps. I split the wood in that barn with a small gas-powered splitter. While splitting inside, I open a few doores and use an electric fan to blow away the fumes. An electric motor would definitely be better here on that splitter, and I plan on getting one of them if the little, gasoline, 5 hp Honda ever wears out. It is great to split indoors, as it fills some time on rainy days, which were very frequent this past year. I stack the split, unseasoned wood in that barn, where it seasons for at least a year, or more depending on variety. I use my little Ford 8N, with a rear carryall box, or the JD 4120 front bucket, to haul the seasoned wood up to my porch, which holds about 1/2 face cord, as needed. That 1/c fc lasts 1 to 2 weeks depending on how cold it is. Them 3 tractors, 2 chainsaws, 5 hp, 22 ton spliter, and old barn, really make firewood an enjoyable, very easy job.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #118  
I think the Henry Thoreau quote on this picture that my wife put up in our living/dining area says it all !!

P1080241.JPG

P1080246.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #119  
I think the Henry Thoreau quote on this picture that my wife put up in our living/dining area says it all !!

View attachment 362824

View attachment 362825

That quote is so true! I find myself admiring my woodpile with a smile on my face, especially in the fall. It's not looking so good now, only have about 2 months worth left. Hopefully spring will come someday!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #120  
That's a pic of how I move and store my firewood. It stays on the pallet until I need it. The pallet is then brought to the outdoor wood boiler and left there until empty. Each pallet holds a 1/2 cord of firewood. Roger

Attachments

• JD4500 Pallet(Small).jpg
    JD4500 Pallet(Small).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 527