Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,092  
That fish?? I put him back in..
That's good, maybe he will grow up to get as big as these two that I caught,

Alaska-12-King-Salmon.jpg

No, I didn't throw them back...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,094  
You caught those in your own pond?? Nice!
IF those two had been in one of my ponds, they would have ate everything in it, in about 15 minutes! lol lol

ANYWAY, today I was sorting some logs I brought home, including this cedar that a guy wants me to mill a beam out of it,

Resized-20211105-130854-S.jpg

Also, here's a pretty nice oak, I'm going to mill this one "live edge",

Resized-20211105-132632-S.jpg

SO, I moved those two in line to be milled, hopefully fairly soon.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,095  
Man I wish I had some big cedars here..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,098  
I was in HD the other day and noticed live slabs of pine going for $177.00. Wow! Never thought about slabs before I threw so many
away while milling my landscape lumber.

Started the wall I milled all that red pine for. It is going as I expected :) not well, but getting done any way.
All the mess-ups and mistakes due to a learning curve with the mill is coming back to bite my behind.
I decided to build with the original rotting and leaning wall still in place with the intention that I will remove the old wall once
I get the new one high enough to support the dirt, and just before I have soil to back fill with.

My mistakes in measuring during milling has led me to adapt as I go.
I dug down a little for my gravel base and at times I saw the bottom of the original wall, but somehow I am ending up with almost
a foot of gravel at the end. All I can think of is there must be a foot of original wall under the surface at the start point which means my
land has changed drastically over the years.

My beams are level(ish) yet a foot higher at the end of the original wall.
I think my measuring tape must be defective (same one I was using on the mill) :)

Can't stop now, or restart. I may end up sinking vertical posts to support the wall, which I was sure I would not have to do because
of the much higher weight than the original lumber.

My poor milling skill has lead to some "spaces" between the logs. I have 2 more base logs to level out then I can go up which I hope goes
a lot quicker (every log at least has one clean 6" side, the width, sometimes off by 1/4" can be worked around)

I have my doubts about this wall out-living the original wall by twice the expectancy, but live and learn. There's always a solution. It just
depends on cost and labor.

By the way, I built the original wall 19 years ago, totally by hand with 10 yr lifespan wood. For this one I'm wishing I could have afforded to hire someone.
I've apparently aged and definitely have deteriorated health-wise in 19 years. Original took me a little over a day, this one is taking many days and I have
machines to help me a certain amount.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,100  
I see that old buzz saw - reminds me of what we had when I was growing up powered by an IH H or M and flat belt. Everybody says they are very dangerous as they are obviously are not shielded but I have never had a close call on one or personally knew of anyone who did. If used properly and respected they are great saws with a lot of output and less work than chainsaw.