Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,101  
I see that old buzz saw - reminds me of what we had when I was growing up powered by an IH H or M and flat belt. Everybody says they are very dangerous as they are obviously are not shielded but I have never had a close call on one or personally knew of anyone who did. If used properly and respected they are great saws with a lot of output and less work than chainsaw.
I agree...

I still have a couple of them and although I don't use them, it's not because they are more dangerous. It's because for what I cut, they are slower than a chainsaw.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,102  
It sure smells nice but will make you itch like you know what.
Before my sawmill days I bought a bunk of cedar for a project I was doing.. lots of cutting and milling turning it into finish lumber.. never noticed any itching.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,103  
I see that old buzz saw - reminds me of what we had when I was growing up powered by an IH H or M and flat belt. Everybody says they are very dangerous as they are obviously are not shielded but I have never had a close call on one or personally knew of anyone who did. If used properly and respected they are great saws with a lot of output and less work than chainsaw.
I believe that’s the type of saw which Johnny Cash’ older brother was killed on while they were growing up. My father used to cut most of his wood on one of those; when I was a kid he converted a unit from an old Farmall to go onto the 3pth of the 8N. When he upgraded to his Kubota he also bought a new cordwood saw to go with it. I hated it as I was generally the one taking wood off next to the blade, and on larger chunks had to brace myself to keep from getting pulled into the blade. After he passed away that was the first thing which we sold. He also had an 18” blade and arbor with plans to build a similar saw to hook up to his one-lunger but never found time. I’m thinking about completing his plan as it would be great for sawing up smaller pieces which most people leave in the woods.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,104  
Those buzz saws are not as dangerous as a chain saw, you just keep distance from the blade and not much can happen. I have two, the one on the picture, a 2.2kw and a same saw with PTO witch is not much used. As always with any saw don't use it if you are tired, exhausted og have your mind somewhere else.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,105  
Before my sawmill days I bought a bunk of cedar for a project I was doing.. lots of cutting and milling turning it into finish lumber.. never noticed any itching.

I’ve noticed it well falling timber with the water that they can hold if I’m not wearing long sleeves I’ll break out and itch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,106  
I've been advised not to use cedar shavings as bedding for baby chicks as it can cause respiratory problems. Of course they usually die of something else first...
I did use cedar this summer to get rid of the mites in my henhouse.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,107  
I've been advised not to use cedar shavings as bedding for baby chicks as it can cause respiratory problems. Of course they usually die of something else first...
I did use cedar this summer to get rid of the mites in my henhouse.
I tried chicken farming a bunch of times, got the chicks and they always died.. not sure if I was planting them too deep or too close together!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,108  
I’ve noticed it well falling timber with the water that they can hold if I’m not wearing long sleeves I’ll break out and itch.
And that could be, I never had that problem though.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,109  
I tried chicken farming a bunch of times, got the chicks and they always died.. not sure if I was planting them too deep or too close together!
I've often wondered if planting the eggs would be better... but with my luck I'd end up hatching dinosaurs. :eek:

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,110  
I agree...

I still have a couple of them and although I don't use them, it's not because they are more dangerous. It's because for what I cut, they are slower than a chainsaw.

SR
Your pictures are always of the larger stuff that you have to split. Why do you not cut the 3-8" that you do not have to split that you could use these saws for?