Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,401  
Had two blow down cedars spanning a 80 foot across draw still attached to the root ball down off the flat 60 feet or so the only way to set something like that up is with cable because you’re standing on a suspended log over a cannon setting the choker. With a situation like that you need a cable choker to be able to swing around from the bottom to catch and grab for hook up.

I'll have to take your word for it on that one :) but I believe you

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,402  
I split another load of firewood today. Thanks to the lift I was able to split rounds this size by myself. If I had help I’d probably load them straight on the table with the mini x but when I’m by myself I just line them up in front of the lift so I don’t have to wrestle them very much.
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,403  
Whats to keep them from rolling off the other side when you lift them?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,404  
Made a couple more benches with stuff from out in my saw yard. Hosewarming gifts for my daughter and her new husband.

Attachments

• IMG_6640.JPG
    IMG_6640.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6641.JPG
    IMG_6641.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,405  
I like those benches - very nice !

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,406  
I like those benches - very nice !

gg
Thanks, had a couple oak slabs lying around and some pine 6x6s, made one for myself a while back , they just bought a new house thought I'd make them a couple. Works out good as we are driving down to Texas at the end of the month I can take them down. I'd hate to try to ship them they weigh a ton!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,407  
Whats to keep them from rolling off the other side when you lift them?

It’s still a little bit up hill and you’re standing right there to hold it. Sometimes when you split in it in half the half will fall off. Usually with 2 people you can stop it for falling off but with one person it happens sometimes. Lilting even half of a piece that size is difficult so usually I use my mini excavator to put it back on the other side of the splitter with the lift. If I was working with a helper I’d set the piece directly on the splitter, let the helper push it through, then I’d grab the piece with the excavator and drop it on the ground to finish breaking it in half then set one half back on the splitter and set the other half on the ground in front of the lift. Or if I was running smaller wood I’ll feed the helper a few pieces and then get off and load the splits while he keeps splitting.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,408  
It’s still a little bit up hill and you’re standing right there to hold it. Sometimes when you split in it in half the half will fall off. Usually with 2 people you can stop it for falling off but with one person it happens sometimes. Lilting even half of a piece that size is difficult so usually I use my mini excavator to put it back on the other side of the splitter with the lift.
With big rounds on an open splitter beam like that, I often do the first split at more like 1/3 and 2/3 - let the 1/3 part fall to the ground and then you don't have to lift as much to get to back up on the splitter to finish it.

I am trying to imagine your workflow the way you describe it, and it sounds like you are on an off the mini-ex for darn near every round sometimes. Doesn't that just make splitting take forever to get done? Meanwhile the mini-ex is accumulating run hours from idling the whole time? A great tool for lifting things, no doubt. But seems crazy to me to run up the hours on it, and climb on and off of it for every piece of wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,409  
With big rounds on an open splitter beam like that, I often do the first split at more like 1/3 and 2/3 - let the 1/3 part fall to the ground and then you don't have to lift as much to get to back up on the splitter to finish it.

I am trying to imagine your workflow the way you describe it, and it sounds like you are on an off the mini-ex for darn near every round sometimes. Doesn't that just make splitting take forever to get done? Meanwhile the mini-ex is accumulating run hours from idling the whole time? A great tool for lifting things, no doubt. But seems crazy to me to run up the hours on it, and climb on and off of it for every piece of wood.

No I stage several pieces in front of the lift when I’m on the mini. I only stacked 3 of the big ones but I might move 20 12” pieces at a time. When I’m splitting smaller rounds I don’t center them. I usually size it so every piece off the left side of the wedge is done but when I’m doing big ones I want them to loose as much weight in a cycle as I can.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,410  
No I stage several pieces in front of the lift when I’m on the mini. I only stacked 3 of the big ones but I might move 20 12” pieces at a time. When I’m splitting smaller rounds I don’t center them. I usually size it so every piece off the left side of the wedge is done but when I’m doing big ones I want them to loose as much weight in a cycle as I can.
Sounds like you need an exit table on that splitter.