Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,891  
So why not just do a plunge cut for the back cut leaving about 10% of the tree diameter intact, when you finish the plunged back cut, pull the saw, insert your wedges on both sides of that 10% left, then cut the little bit left and finish driving the wedges.
Something like this...

This arborist needs to find someone else to sharpen that chain!! Watching him start that steep face cut was painful to me.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,892  
Heck, I even use that on bigger trees sometimes..........
Prefer it to the GOL method for a back leaner. But that's just me.

P1160743.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,893  
The N.E woods I lived most of my life in had some mighty strange things found in trees.
This was a pretty busy area in the 17 and 18 hundreds.
I have found (struck) arrow heads, wrenches, locks, stirrups, broken knife blades, a tin drinking cup, metal buttons, axe heads, chain, and plenty of barbed wire.
Oh and one of the guys in my crew found a cache of silver dollars minted in the late 1800's that someone hid in a young tree and forgot about.
It was a bit of a trip back in time as I imagined who stood here and left his crap in a tree for me to find a couple hundred years later.

It was intriguing and aggravating all at the same time.
Maybe they didn't forget, maybe they didn't live long enough to retrieve them, or no longer had hands after stealing them & getting caught. It's fun to theorize how things could have happened. I sense a new spinoff thread coming!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,894  
Arrow, and isn't that the God's almighty truth!!! Whom could even imagine being in that "exact spot and time" and placing silvers to hide? I sure couldn't!! Wow, what an historical find of an original cache of gems and an actual slice of history!!
Greg, they were like brand new like they were just minted! The guy could have put them in there and died a week later or his kid could have stolen them from his pop and hid them in a tree because the pop disciplined him and was too afraid to admit it was him who took them and blamed it on the errant bum who was seen walking through the town in 1888.

My mind goes a little crazy but it's fun to "imagine" how they got there and how they were left there for over a hundred yrs..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,895  
Maybe they didn't forget, maybe they didn't live long enough to retrieve them, or no longer had hands after stealing them & getting caught. It's fun to theorize how things could have happened. I sense a new spinoff thread coming!
So true

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,897  
Have to use the winch to hold the the tree so it doesn't go in to the water.
IMG_20220314_173454.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,898  
More
IMG_20220314_173823_1.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,899  
Heck, I even use that on bigger trees sometimes..........
Prefer it to the GOL method for a back leaner. But that's just me.

View attachment 737266

gg
Actually, they that's one of the methods they teach in the GOL classes - but it may depend on whether they run across a smaller-diameter back leaner.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,900  
This arborist needs to find someone else to sharpen that chain!! Watching him start that steep face cut was painful to me.
Agreed, I was thinking the same thing!! he needs to be throwing chips and not dust!