Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,741  
Our local NAPA actually carries some hydraulic parts and can make up lines.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,742  
So does mine, but NOT with banjo fittings... Also, I find many more options and higher quality hydraulic hoses from dedicated hydraulic shops...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,743  
Yes of course. I can go to NAPA 5 miles away and get those 90 degree elbows you had for $16. And they will probably leak in 2-5 years. Or I can go 20 miles to CAT dealer and pay 3x as much but probably never change again.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,744  
Here’s the wood… I was wishing I’d had the tractor to load them.
Leftover treelength cedar from a 2020 harvest job. I cut out some of the cleanest logs and winched them into the trailer with a hand come along
. 7CCE6C13-7BED-4CB5-9013-C1DB1EADAD46.jpeg
It could have been worse though… last year I bought two bigger hardwood logs and loaded them with a ratchet tie down strap.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,746  
If you remember in an earlier post, I had to get some steering cylinder hoses made for my tractor. The rest of the story is, one end of the hose needed to be a "banjo" fitting, and NO one anywhere around here can make those! I called all over and it was a no-go everywhere!

One hydraulic shop suggested I convert it to a more common fitting, so I agreed,

Resized-20220728-110221-S.jpg

The problem with that was, too many joints, that come loose too easily and then would leak! On top of that, it sets the hose up too high and then the leverage on the fittings, slightly bends them, and they leak!! I was on a job when I figured all of THAT out!

SO, after looking it all over better, off I go to a welding/hydraulic shop I know of, and I KNOW they do really good work. I suggested to them, that they saw the banjo fitting off the old hose, and tig weld it onto something more common and make me another hose! The guy thought about it for a moment and said, "that should work!"

You can see the weld in this pict.,

Resized-20220728-111527-S.jpg

Anyway, fifty dollars later and I have a hose that sets low on the cylinder, stays tight without leaks, and stays that way!

Resized-20220728-111533-S.jpg

SO, off I went to a job to cut out a bunch of pines,

Resized-20220728-121612-S.jpg

some were 5" across, and I took out a bunch of them! AND I managed to put a little more coin in the till! lol

SR
Do you back into them like that or straight over? Never hook a filter or anything?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,747  
Here’s the wood… I was wishing I’d had the tractor to load them.
Leftover treelength cedar from a 2020 harvest job. I cut out some of the cleanest logs and winched them into the trailer with a hand come along
. View attachment 756307
It could have been worse though… last year I bought two bigger hardwood logs and loaded them with a ratchet tie down strap.

Those will make some good lumber when you get them on your new mill. When we bought this wood lot in 1999 there was a hitch of 6 tree length cedar left laying in one of the landings. I have used a little but the rest is still there. Lasts along time.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,748  
Those will make some good lumber when you get them on your new mill. When we bought this wood lot in 1999 there was a hitch of 6 tree length cedar left laying in one of the landings. I have used a little but the rest is still there. Lasts along time.

gg
A few years ago I had a road opened back up into an area which our records show was last cut in 1992. There were two cedar trees on an old landing which I cut up and used for kindling. It was still sound and made a great fire.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,749  
I wish I had some useable cedars here.. all the ones here are maybe 2-5 inch dia is all

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,750  
Do you back into them like that or straight over? Never hook a filter or anything?
I push them over and let the cutter do its thing, and no I haven't hooked anything.

But farm tractors are built better/heavier than a compact and seem to have things tucked in better.

SR