Tractors and wood! Show your pics

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
Also, I've been meaning to share this. It's a short video of me using our new Fransgard to fell a hillside oak tree.

I'd been wanting to fell the tree for years to improve our view a little, but it grew on the precipice of a steep slope and leaned heavily downhill. I didn't want to fell it downhill, because it contains some quality firewood and it would be quite a struggle to get the cordwood back up to the yard.

Not shown in the video is me climbing a ladder to attach the choker ~18' up on the stem, then taking tension on the line. I then notched the tree and plunge-cut it, leaving a thick hinge. Back cut it leaving just a small tag remaining. As I've posted before in this thread, I was a commercial logger when I was younger and routinely used this procedure with a JD 540B cable skidder.

I take the time to thoroughly clear my work area around the base of the tree before I begin anything else, including a planned and cleared escape route for if/when I have to get out of there in a hurry. For example, if the tension I had already put on the line was enough to pop the tag and send the tree over. That was not the case in this situation, but I was prepared for it.

A small bump from the winch was enough to pop the tag, then I continue to pull until it's about halfway down to help prevent the tree twisting from the downhill lean and shearing the hinge. First winch-assisted fell I've made with the Fransgard, and I'm very impressed with it's capabilities. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

What do you mean by "pop the tag" ? I have never been a logger.

Woodstock Walt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5155 4WD
What do you mean by "pop the tag" ? I have never been a logger.

After plunge cutting the tree and setting the hinge thickness, I start cutting towards the back of the tree with the top side of the saw bar. Instead of cutting all the way through the back side to send the tree falling, I leave a small amount of uncut wood that holds the tree in place.

A little "tag" of uncut wood. I can't really think of a better term.

Last edited:

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
After plunge cutting the tree and setting the hinge thickness, I start cutting towards the back of the tree with the top side of the saw. Instead of cutting all the way through the back side to send the tree falling, I leave a small amount of uncut wood that holds the tree in place.

A little "tag" of uncut wood. I can't really think of a better term.
I have done that ,plunge cut whatever but I’ve always cut that tag off I didn’t know what it is called

hunt4570

Tractor
We don’t have trees that big thank goodness

Woodstock Walt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5155 4WD
Found an uprooted hornbeam laying across one of our tote roads this morning. Gave me something fun to do before it got too hot out (wicked heat in Maine today). That stuff is always a welcome addition to my wood pile, it burns like coal.

20220514_092719.jpg

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
L
Found an uprooted hornbeam laying across one of our tote roads this morning. Gave me something fun to do before it got too hot out (wicked heat in Maine today). That stuff is always a welcome addition to my wood pile, it burns like coal.

View attachment 745825
That’s one of the hottest woods we have in Maine. People used to make bumpers from it.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
We don’t have trees that big thank goodness
I, long ago thought it gave me my adrenaline rush, my younger years were military . . . now noooo but still had to cut a few last year . . . had my oldest son with me so not so bad.

hunt4570

Tractor
Had some time to work on my oak tree again. Slowly dismantling it then I take it to the splitter to split and stack.

Surgery...
IMG_7484.JPG
IMG_7485.JPG
IMG_7486.JPG

and filling my racks
IMG_6556.JPG

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Your work looks good ! How much wood do you burn in a year down there in the semi tropics? To me it seems like in the spring when I start a new quick little fire every day, and sometimes two, that I use as much wood as on a cold winter day when the stove just coasts along on big wood and never goes out.

gg

hunt4570

Tractor
Your work looks good ! How much wood do you burn in a year down there in the semi tropics? To me it seems like in the spring when I start a new quick little fire every day, and sometimes two, that I use as much wood as on a cold winter day when the stove just coasts along on big wood and never goes out.

gg
I only go through maybe 2 cords of wood a year is all, not even that much some years. And that includes all those little fall/spring fires to take the edge off in the mornings.
And that's a good thing 'cause I dont have a lot of hardwoods I can get to, mostly pines here. Forestry is one of the biggest industries in this state, maybe the biggest! We have lots of "tree farms" here, all pine.

hunt4570

Tractor
And I am going to take a couple 10' slabs out of that trunk before processing it into firewood. If it gets ugly cold I can always split it up later.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Has anyone used the large log totes that hold 1/3 cord of wood? If so, how many uses do you get from one?

I want to be able to load splits either from the conveyor from a processor, or by picking up splits off the ground using a grapple.

I am planning to have the bag sit on a pallet and build a frame to hold the tote while it is being filled. If this works, I will not have to touch a split until I carry it into the house.

Here is the tote:

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
? Don, I'm pretty sure you have a couple dozen of the perfect firewood holders already. Just use your IBC tote crates!

You want to build a wood frame on a pallet to hold a limp sack instead?!? You're losing it, man. :ROFLMAO:

Loaderman22

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N, 75 MF 30B, 75 Swinger Loader, 1979 Cat D3
I'm with deezler ,I would rather use a IBC tote with the pallet built in, than try to keep that bag upright. Plus if the wood is wet at all, there is no way it will dry as good in the bag despite the ad saying "fabric provides optimal air flow"..

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Add me to the list of those who think a bag is a step backward. Next you will be trying to reinvent the wheel!!!! 😁

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Finished splitting my wood today. High 80's temps and black flies were not part of the game plan. Used to be getting done by mid May avoided that but not this year. About 4.5 cord there. Still have some small wood the cut but I don't have to split that.

22_5-16.JPG

Nothing at all wrong with totes or bags but I still like my wood shed.

gg

IXLR8

Veteran Member
I tried using a similar bag once, won't happen again. I found it hard to load well and then it was a pain to empty it. The top had some flaps to cover over the opening and they just kept getting in the way.

hunt4570

Tractor
Finished splitting my wood today. High 80's temps and black flies were not part of the game plan. Used to be getting done by mid May avoided that but not this year. About 4.5 cord there. Still have some small wood the cut but I don't have to split that.

View attachment 746143

gg
Nice looking piles... now you move it all to the wood shed? Do you do that right away to get it up off the ground?

Gordon Gould

Tractor
I move it a little at a time starting late summer. We have a short drying season and a couple months of wind and sun really help and not long enough to worry about being on dirt.

gg

hunt4570

Tractor
I collected the wood I cut off yesterday and moved it to my splitting station, As I split it I stack it in the loader, then over to my drying racks. It will stay there till I need it in the fall. I have a rack on my front porch where I move it a bucket at a time as needed... works for me.
I'm one of the few it seems that sits and splits! Again, it works for me.

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS for work in the woods
I move it a little at a time starting late summer. We have a short drying season and a couple months of wind and sun really help and not long enough to worry about being on dirt.

gg
I do a similar thing, but finally scrounged a few pallets to put down so my temporary storage area keeps them off the ground - that way I'm still in decent shape if something comes up and I don't get around to moving them in time.

I did find that if I want reasonable drying times and not a bunch of mold or fungus on the wood, some time stacked out in the open exposed to the wind and sun makes a big difference. A single row dries the quickest, but two rows of 16" splits stacked on a +/-4 foot pallet with as much space as I can fit between the rows dries almost as fast.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I only have 12 cord under cover, probably another 12 cord tarped. I noticed my pallets are starting to rot when I stacked this year's cut wood. Anyone use plastic pallets?

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
I only have 12 cord under cover, probably another 12 cord tarped. I noticed my pallets are starting to rot when I stacked this year's cut wood. Anyone use plastic pallets?
I'm trying one out this year. A friend had a bunch of them he didn't need anymore. Most had a solid plastic deck, which is not something I was interested in, since it would hold rain water. I took the one he had that was in good shape that also included some slots to allow rainwater to escape. If it works out, I'll keep my eye out for more.

I just figure on replacing my wooden pallets periodically as they rot beyond usefulness.

hunt4570

Tractor
I've not tried plastic ones, but I just make or scrounge pallets as needed.
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

fruitcakesa

Platinum Member
Tractor
M6040
A local fellow had been collecting pallets for years to cut up and sell as firewood.
He had a heart attack and had to quit; so now he is giving them away.
All my wood piles, implements and miscellaneous storage needs are set for the next few years.

Gordon Gould

Tractor
We had a pretty good wind storm earlier this spring and it put quite a few blow downs across my tractor roads like this place here where there are two of them. Yesterdays weather was good for for this kind of work. Nice and cool.

22_5_17-1s.jpg

I like to pull them off with my winch and a snatch block if I can.

22_5_17-2s.jpg

I this one pulled as far as could but the top was still in the trail so I cut it off and pulled the top down beside the first part.

22_5_17-3s.jpg

Now that that one was out of the way I could get to the next one just down the trail a little way.

22_5_17-4s.jpg

gg

Last edited:

Loaderman22

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N, 75 MF 30B, 75 Swinger Loader, 1979 Cat D3
I tried putting my 3pt implements on pallets, figuring that would be better for the equipment in general and installing onto the tractor. The pallets rotted away very quickly, not sure why exactly, other than they were set off to the side out of the way next to the woods line, and it's possible it was too damp there. If I find good white oak pallets, I may try again, but they are pretty few and far between anymore. Most know not to put them out for grabs.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I tried putting my 3pt implements on pallets, figuring that would be better for the equipment in general and installing onto the tractor. The pallets rotted away very quickly, not sure why exactly, other than they were set off to the side out of the way next to the woods line, and it's possible it was too damp there. If I find good white oak pallets, I may try again, but they are pretty few and far between anymore. Most know not to put them out for grabs.
At least they were holding your implements off the ground, while they lasted.

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641

View attachment 746143

gg
I like the way you pile wood Gordon with sloped ends on the piles. I do it the same way. Everyone makes fun of me up here because they make their piles with square ends. They cross pile stacks at each end. I find it takes more time and you have to select the right splits to do this. Makes no sense to me. My friend stacks his this way in my field along with mine. Says doing this makes tighter piles to save space! Well in a 50 acre pasture I guess every inch counts.😂
Each to his own and all in good fun

Gordon Gould

Tractor
I like the way you pile wood Gordon with sloped ends on the piles. I do it the same way. Everyone makes fun of me up here because they make their piles with square ends. They cross pile stacks at each end. I find it takes more time and you have to select the right splits to do this. Makes no sense to me. My friend stacks his this way in my field along with mine. Says doing this makes tighter piles to save space! Well in a 50 acre pasture I guess every inch counts.😂
Each to his own and all in good fun

That's the key and I agree - sloped ends work fine. Especially on a row stacked 5' high plus perpendicular to the sun. That's how I know when it's time to put it in the shed - it's ready to, or in a few cases already has, fall over from the sun pulling on it.

gg

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
The criss-crossed ends were always a a time consuming pain in the butt for me. I stacked sloped ends on my temporary piles in the woods (usually built on parallel poles laid on down to keep them up off the ground, in case "temporary" ended up being longer than I had originally intended). We have limited space for storage for our firewood donation program, so we'd make "L brackets" for the ends of the rows out of 2 pallets. We'd use 4 foot pallets with an L every 12 feet. Two rows of 16" logs stacked 4 feet high made a cord in that 12 foot space, so we had a quick way to gauge volume. The L's on the end also made it easier to stack, so we didn't need to worry about the skill level of volunteer stackers. I liked it enough that I ended up making some for myself. I get about 5 or 6 years out of them until they've rotted to the point where they are no longer usable.

Picture is of the local Boy & Girl Scouts helping process some donated logs into firewood for our "WoodBank" last May:
IMG_2560.jpg

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
^^^^^
I hate to say it but I predict there will be a lot more people asking for help from your firewood bank this year. It’s good that you and your compadres are providing the service.

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
^^^^^
I hate to say it but I predict there will be a lot more people asking for help from your firewood bank this year. It’s good that you and your compadres are providing the service.

Strangely, we had almost no requests for firewood this past heating season. We gave away only about one cord,split between 2 recipients. We used up so little that we picked out some of our older stuff from less desirable firewood species and gave it to a local high school's outdoor education program. They will use it to heat a couple of yurts and for campfires next winter.

The winter was colder than some of our recent past winters (which had been unusually warm for Vermont). I was SURE we were going to be swamped and run out of wood - so sure I minimized burning our own wood and burned more propane so as to have an emergency reserve. We started doing this about 15 years ago with just a couple of landowner friends, then expanded it to a community effort about 7 or 8 years ago. We've never had such a low demand. We helped a neighboring town start up a similar program 4 years ago. I checked with them, and they were seeing the same thing: a huge decline in demand. It baffles all of us.