Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,341  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,342  
Yes. The dry kind. I don't think the species make a huge difference.

You can also make biochar in your stove by putting wood in a box inside your stove. A section of stove pipe and a couple of caps works well. Similar to this.
Biocharlie Biochar Log - Make Your Own Biochar in a Fireplace - Blue Sky Biochar

You could also dig a trench or pit in your yard to improve yield

Ideally having the same sized material works best for making biochar but you can just push the bigger pieces to the top or simply pull them aside and let them burn out while you quench the main pile of biochar. Here is some information I used when I was getting started.
Backyard Biochar: Top Lit Open Burn

Piles like this are pretty easy to manage by hand and a hose could be used to quench.
View attachment 495640

I'll check out that video later. We have some pretty crazy burn laws here. Last year we had a burn ban because of air quality:rolleyes:

I was have an EPA stove and after it up and burning I shut the draft all the way down and it burns a secondary fire. After the wood is burned up there is a big pile of coals. I could leave the draft closed all the way down (instead of opening it up for them to burn down and stirring them) and I would have biochar.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,343  
Headed to the mill after coffee. A little more on than I like but I wanted to clean up the landing before this next batch of warm weather.

CellarHoleLd2a.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,344  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,345  
Headed to the mill after coffee. A little more on than I like but I wanted to clean up the landing before this next batch of warm weather.

View attachment 495739

gg

About how much money does that load bring if you don't mind sharing? Just curious.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,346  
Love that truck! I have always admired it. Diesel?

Thanks ! I love it to - it's a gas job. A 2001 with the tried and true Chrysler 360 (5.9L now-a-days I guess) in it.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,347  
About how much money does that load bring if you don't mind sharing? Just curious.

Well by my measurements it scaled 640 Board Feet. I am usually pretty close. The mill pays $300/MBF (per thousand BF) for spruce/fir saw logs so if there are no culls or down grades to pallet wood in the load I should get $192. Don't ask how much I make an hour - I would have to lie to stay out of jail. :D It is less than minimum wage.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,348  
Hi all. 70 degrees here just SW of Abilene TX.
Wife just texted me from home in Oklahoma. Says the squirrels are a lot happier since I cleared the hillside with the Kubota and made the yard larger.
"They can now make faster time from the bird feeder on the deck to the deer feeder at the edge of yard without all those obstacles that was in the way!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,349  
Hi all. 70 degrees here just SW of Abilene TX.
Wife just texted me from home in Oklahoma. Says the squirrels are a lot happier since I cleared the hillside with the Kubota and made the yard larger.
"They can now make faster time from the bird feeder on the deck to the deer feeder at the edge of yard without all those obstacles that was in the way!

Whoops, wrong thread. Meant to be in the good morning thread. Sorry bout that!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,350  
Well by my measurements it scaled 640 Board Feet. I am usually pretty close. The mill pays $300/MBF (per thousand BF) for spruce/fir saw logs so if there are no culls or down grades to pallet wood in the load I should get $192. Don't ask how much I make an hour - I would have to lie to stay out of jail. :D It is less than minimum wage.

gg
I was going to take swag and say about $200 but didn't pay attention to the type of wood. I'm sure if you delivered black walnut it would be quite a bit higher? Whatever kind of wood that is, we don't have it here.