Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,801  
I run an 18" bar on my 562: Husky didn't spec the 562xp with one; I specifically ordered it that way- the replacement saw was just a powerhead. 18" really rips; it's almost scary. I am not of large stature, so saws with longer bars will tend to make me sway more :D

Being ported, my 562 is almost at a stock 70cc power level, but with the feel of a 50cc saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,802  
Here are a couple more pics of some "tractors and wood"

This was a large white oak I milled a long time ago.
i-mWvdKDX-XL.jpg

i-CcQSSh2-XL.jpg

i-LpLHL3q-XL.jpg

i-JcD3FJC-XL.jpg

And a pile of some White Pine...
i-2Fssh9x-XL.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,803  
...and I'm 'pretty sure' this grapple load of firewood came from the branches of the above oak tree.
i-r3hLCVn-XL.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,804  
I've got wood on the ground AND a new saw but haven't had time to get around to cutting and splitting: huge fencing project has had me tied up.

What saw is that?

I just got my second 562xp (after killing my first one- found out that one can outwork a machine!). This time I got one that was ported (from someone in your neck of the woods); hoping that it'll run a bit cooler. 18" bar makes for a wicked firewood saw.

Oh yeah, I need to tie a tractor into this somehow... I take my tractor out with a splitter (saw of course) and wood crates. Cut and split; toss split wood into the crates and then haul back: crates sit to season and then next time I touch the wood I'm pulling from the crates, which I place on my deck, and putting in the woodstove.

Ported by Mr. Randy Evans perhaps? He did my 660. It's a monster.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,805  
Ported by Mr. Randy Evans perhaps? He did my 660. It's a monster.

No, Landrum. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to have Evans do a saw. A ported 660 is some serious saw. Must be dropping some big trees! (I mainly let nature drop them for me and then I go and make small pieces out of them :D)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,806  
No, Landrum. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to have Evans do a saw. A ported 660 is some serious saw. Must be dropping some big trees! (I mainly let nature drop them for me and then I go and make small pieces out of them :D)

That was my second guess.

Yeah, it's a serious saw. I do get to drop big ones on occasion. Felled a 36" cottonwood a couple weeks ago. It's handy to have a saw that'll pull a 36" bar with authority, and it's a very fun firewood saw with a 20" bar, low rakers, and an 8 pin :). Definitely not my most used saw though.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,807  
Cottonwoods:mad: One killed my first 562. Had someone drop it (it was too close to the house). 44" and I cut it up with an 18" bar: at the butt I had to finish "cutting" with the tractor, popping them apart. Running in 90+ degree weather I only stopped to refuel. Ran things too hot. Lesson learned. I've got some larger trees around, but those are out on the property and will never be cut (unless they hit the ground).

What's your main saw?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,808  
I may have a skewed perception but felling big cottonwood makes me very nervous. Again, I am am amateur but it's been my experience that they can split unpredictably. Am I wrong?

(I lived in AZ for a time)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,809  
Luke, the guy who dropped my big cottonwood wrapped a very healthy chain just a ways above his felling cut. Yes, these things are known to explode (barberchair). Another reason why I wasn't going to touch this tree!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,810  
Cottonwoods:mad: One killed my first 562. Had someone drop it (it was too close to the house). 44" and I cut it up with an 18" bar: at the butt I had to finish "cutting" with the tractor, popping them apart. Running in 90+ degree weather I only stopped to refuel. Ran things too hot. Lesson learned. I've got some larger trees around, but those are out on the property and will never be cut (unless they hit the ground).

What's your main saw?

I'm kinda addicted to saws. I cut about 20 cords a year, and I don't have any expensive hobbies or habits, no motorcycles, boats, ATVs, cigarettes, nothing like that, so I figure I can spend what I want to on saws, within reason. They are fun, hold their value well, and actually perform valuable work for me. So, my "main" saw varies monthly.

Lately I've been running a Husky 350 with a ported 346xp top end. It's a screamer. Likes about 14,800 RPM, and has a lot of balls for a 50cc saw. Incredible throttle response. Also, I run an ms261cm version 2 with heated handles a lot when it's cold or rainy. I have a heated 440 also. Then I have a Dolmar 7900 with a full wrap, which is a nice saw for felling. And I have an 036 that's getting ported right now, I'm expecting it to become a new favorite.

Bummer about your 562. Having a big saw when you need it can really save your small saws from being overworked.