Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,821  
Without knowing more details I can’t look up specs but I really doubt the cycle time was sub 10 seconds. And the point of this argument/discussion was efficiency and running a 100 hp tractor to do 10 hp of work is definitely not efficient. And running a tractor cost more money than running a little Honda motor.

Well, the original comment was that one had to have a PTO driven pump to run a 3 point splitter, not that what was the best way to go. My stroke time with the my little two way splitter (which is equivalent to cycle time on a one direction splitter) is right around 10 seconds. Little Honda's are great but when you have several 30 year old 100 hp diesel tractors and enough spare parts to build your own splitter, it isn't such an inefficient way to go. We idled the tractor because the splitter valve was the limiting factor in the system.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,822  
Thanks...

My trailer will handle them one at a time for sure & maybe both for just here on the property.

Now to figure out how to load if I find someone that wants them.

See if you can find a log buyer in your area. Not a timber buyer who is buying standing timber. But it could be the same guy that does both jobs for a mill. Try google or call your county forester. Tell them what you have and see what they say. That looks like a nice tree.

EDIT: They may even want to come get it them selves.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,823  
Nice video OldP. What happens after you get all those hitches pulled out to the main trail ?? Are you thinning or will that eventually be a clear cut ?gg
Yea when comes to going through snow bigger is better, 2' an I'm done. With my size tractor I got to be carefull when winching, the plus side is I can turn around in a very small spot.

When I cut firewood I take most trees down to 4", cept straight oak, sugar maple and white birch, just about all my beach has to be cut, think it has fungus amungus...........When done just brush piles and small trees and logs. How's the beach in your area?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,824  
That's nice looking beech, it will give you plenty of heat next winter. I see what you mean about the snowsled trail, I'm surprised that you didn't have a line of them stopped, waiting for you to move. Is that an authorized trail, or just some cowboys who think they can go anyplace??

I'm keeping my eye out for a good beach log, want to see what the lumber would look like, will it warp or stay straight.......Yeah I gave permission to atv and snomobiles as long as they dont give me a hard time when I get out firewood, I'm ok with people out having a fun ride.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,827  
I agree, Nice video Oldp, the two other attachments didn't work however

Think I fixed it..........Another technical difficulty on page 390, post#7791.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,828  
I'm keeping my eye out for a good beach log, want to see what the lumber would look like, will it warp or stay straight.......Yeah I gave permission to atv and snomobiles as long as they dont give me a hard time when I get out firewood, I'm ok with people out having a fun ride.

There were a bunch of sleds out yesterday. I haven't ridden for fun since I was a kid, but a lot of people enjoy it and this year they've had some great weather with lots of snow. The clubs are good to deal with, I called the one in Linneus yesterday asking them to put some signs up where the trail crosses one of our roads and they called me back two hours later to let me know they had done it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,829  
Spent a couple hr this afternoon adding a point to my tree cutting forks, they had a rounded front but always slipped off the tree when push it over, now with a point shouldn't slide off so easy, in theory. I must have the sharpest forks around.
IMG-2132.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,830  
I was able to spend some time on this tree today. The main trunk was being supported by two 2-foot diameter branches. I was able to push some logs under the main trunk which is about 5 or 6-foot diameter at the base, then with my backhoe dig out under the branches leaving the main trunk resting on the support logs. That gave me free cutting other than having to deal with the crotches which always leaves me with odd cuts.
31592DF3-3EF1-41A6-A99B-2F77496BDED8.jpeg0F98A8C0-AA91-4291-A647-3B8DFCD8FC25.jpegEDFD2711-D8E8-4D14-940E-C27288A54BFA.jpeg63D07932-DA3F-4DD6-A92E-9E87922B8FE1.jpegBDD980D2-BB12-4506-ACE5-1A75FFCE4858.jpeg

Last edited: