Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,831  
I was able to spend some time on this tree today. The main trunk was being supported by two 2-foot diameter branches. I was able to push some logs under the main trunk which is about 5 or 6-foot diameter at the base, then with my backhoe dig out under the branches leaving the main trunk resting on the support logs. That gave me free cutting other than having to deal with the crotches which always leaves me with odd cuts.
View attachment 595297View attachment 595292View attachment 595293View attachment 595294View attachment 595295

Dang, that's a big log! I don't even mess with stuff that big! I don't have the equipment (or youth) to mess with that kind of stuff. You going to get some lumber out of that or all firewood?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,832  
When I cut firewood I take most trees down to 4", cept straight oak, sugar maple and white birch, just about all my beach has to be cut, think it has fungus amungus...........When done just brush piles and small trees and logs. How's the beach in your area?

The beech here is the same. By the time it is 6" diameter most all of it is covered by Beech Bark Disease cankers then here and there you find one that is clean. Cankers don't hurt it as good fire wood though as long as you cut it before it is dead and rotten like you are doing.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,833  
Tractors and wood , here's some more

This is about all my tractor handles without straining too hard..

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,834  
Dang, that's a big log! I don't even mess with stuff that big! I don't have the equipment (or youth) to mess with that kind of stuff. You going to get some lumber out of that or all firewood?
No lumber, the pieces with the 2 foot branch knots will be burned at the 6 foot stump probably after it dries in fall when our burn ban lifts. Straight sections will be firewood. I mostly just need to get it out of the way.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,835  
We still have some pretty nice Beech here,

standard.jpg

The nicer beech I cut, I put through the sawmill,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,836  
Tractors and wood , here's some more

This is about all my tractor handles without straining too hard..

That looks like a pretty good load. What is it, about 280 feet of oak?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,837  
That looks like a pretty good load. What is it, about 280 feet of oak?

Not sure on the board feet, but yes a good load of red oak. cut up some wide ones for fun, curious to see how they dry.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,838  
We still have some pretty nice Beech here,

standard.jpg

The nicer beech I cut, I put through the sawmill,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

That's the beech I remember, havent seen beech that good in 40 years here. What's the lumber like, did all twist up, cup, twist, split easy when hit, nail hard, is it lighter then oak, in short will beech make a good firewood box to throw wood in that you so desperately need to replace?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,839  
Not sure on the board feet, but yes a good load of red oak. cut up some wide ones for fun, curious to see how they dry.

After the curiosity is satisfied what you gonna do with all that oak?